intentions. do they matter?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by xG20Tx, Apr 11, 2012.

1. So do intentions matter? Would the killing of a human being be justified if your intentions were to save lives?

2. #2 Tingle, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
    I don't personally believe any of our actions have repercussions, besides in this life. So, I guess it would depend on the situation.

3. #3 Tingle, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
    Edit: Sorry double post

4. "The road to hell is paved with the best of intentions."

No, killing an innocent is not justified no matter how many lives you intend to save by doing so. Violence is only justified in defense. Initiation is never justified.

NAP.

5. But that would meen morales are human nature, not learned through countless years of civilization and society. If a human being was born on this earth without teachings or influence of human beings around him/her, would primitive insticts rule their lifes? I'm all for the idea that humans are morale beings. I know killing is wrong, I didn't create life thus I have no right to strip it from another. But I don't know if I was born with that knowledge already programmed within me or if I learned this through the society we have created.

6. IF your intentions have evidence for such actions.

7. [quote name='"Shade"']

"The road to hell is paved with the best of intentions."

No, killing an innocent is not justified no matter how many lives you intend to save by doing so. Violence is only justified in defense. Initiation is never justified.

NAP.[/quote]

What is your definition of defense, must you be physically harmed to a point that killing in defense is the only answer? what if someone had a gun pointed at you and verbally told you they were going to take your life. How do you know that they will actually pull the trigger or if they are just using the complex human skill of deception? Would the killing in defense still be justified?

8. #8 lazytoker, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
    I don't know if intentions matter, but I think anything that happens is justified in it's own right. Justice > all. You can't help it.... anything that happens, happens because it was supposed to... whether you believe it's all divine or not, it still happened for a reason.

I think all intentions are created by whatever god is. The intention is put into you by other powers besides whatever YOU are.

I don't know anyone that knows ANYTHING that matters, though. That's all speculation or opinion.

To sound evil but to make another point about everything being justified.... Hitler killing 6 million jews was justice.... but so was killing hitler. Justice doesn't choose sides.... it doesn't have an opinion. it's more of an anything that happens, happens type deal. humans pick what they think is right or wrong.

9. NAP is based on self-ownership, and thus property rights. So aggression against property, physical or otherwise (fraud, threat of violence, theft for instance) all qualify as initiations of force, aggression, or coercion. Defensive force equitable to the initiated force in order to protect and cease the aggression is just.

It doesn't really matter if they will or won't pull the trigger when they have a loaded gun pointed at your head. For all you know they will pull the trigger, else they'd not have pulled the gun. They are responsible for the effects of their actions; so if they die from defensive force being employed in order to protect innocent life, that's their own fuck up. That being said, defensive force must be, as mentioned before, equitable to the initiated force in order to remain just. For instance, killing someone for shoplifting a candy bar would not be just.

10. [quote name='"lazytoker"']I don't know if intentions matter, but I think anything that happens is justified in it's own right. Justice > all. You can't help it.... anything that happens, happens because it was supposed to... whether you believe it's all divine or not, it still happened for a reason.

I think all intentions are created by whatever god is. The intention is put into you by other powers besides whatever YOU are.

I don't know anyone that knows ANYTHING that matters, though. That's all speculation or opinion.

To sound evil but to make another point about everything being justified.... Hitler killing 6 million jews was justice.... but so was killing hitler. Justice doesn't choose sides.... it doesn't have an opinion. it's more of an anything that happens, happens type deal. humans pick what they think is right or wrong.[/quote]

Do you meen right and wrong don't exist? Correct me if I am making a false assumption.

11. I don't know anybody that knows whether or not right and wrong exist.

12. #12 fox mccloud, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
    [quote name='"xG20Tx"']So do intentions matter? Would the killing of a human being be justified if your intentions were to save lives?[/quote]

Matter to who? God or us? Does God care what we do that looks good in our eyes, when He is the one that controls everything?

13. What would determine whether or not right or wrong exists?

As far as I'm concerned right and wrong are labels given to a set of actions, behaviors, intentions etc which are defined under a specific moral code. That moral code being subjective to a certain person or group of people.

14. [quote name='"fox mccloud"']

Matter to who? God or us? Does God care what we do that looks good in our eyes, when He is the one that controls everything?[/quote]

How can you speculate that God has control over everything, has he/she/entity proven its omnipitince to you?

15. [quote name='"xG20Tx"']

How can you speculate that God has control over everything, has he/she/entity proven its omnipitince to you?[/quote]

Yes, it would be safe to say something other than me, a much higher power, God, has shown me that it/he/she exists..

16. [quote name='"fox mccloud"']

Yes, it would be safe to say something other than me, a much higher power, God, has shown me that it/he/she exists..[/quote]

What has this god shown to you?

17. heres one to think about it....listen to the lyrics

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxfUvYjL43o]Good Intentions, Toad The Wet Sprocket Live 2008 - YouTube[/ame]

18. [quote name='"xG20Tx"']

What has this god shown to you?[/quote]

Are you actually interested?

19. [quote name='"fox mccloud"']

Are you actually interested?[/quote]

Yes I am. I keep an open mind to everything presented to me.

20. [quote name='"xG20Tx"']

Yes I am. I keep an open mind to everything presented to me.[/quote]

Well idk what you mean by shown? Proof? How do i show you what i believe?