Install os on web server

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by farmerchris21, Apr 29, 2013.

1. So I got an idea today while hi. Don't even know if this is possible or if any one has ever done it before. Basicly is it possible to install an entire operating system onto a web server. I have a web server I rent from 1 and 1. I have as much space as I need and pretty much unlimited bandwidth. Would it be possible to install an operating system on the cloud and then be able to go and use this operating system. It would be like have a cloud computer that I could keep running all the time. The reason I am asking is because I have done some bit mining before but if I was able to bit mine on a cloud based computer I wouldn't have to worry about slowing my computer down. Only log in to check status every couple of days. This may not even be possible but I am just curious in the idea.

2. Yea look into VMware player its a virtual machine you can install an OS on. It's separate from the host machine so if our virtual machine gets compromised it won't affect your server. Then you could just VPN into it

3. So I would have to set up a vpn cause since its a web server I only have ftp access basicly. I mean I could copy everything onto the server files then access it through a web browser but is it possible to vpn to a web site as opposed to directly to the network?

4. You can use remote desktop through FTP

5. If you only have FTP access and some leased space on a web server you cannot do what you are trying to do.

Virtualizing an operating system will require admin access to the server, which you have not been granted if you can only get in through FTP.

Also, when you create a virtual machine it needs the same resources as a real computer. It needs a bunch of hard disk space, it needs a few GB of memory, etc. But most importantly in your case is that a virtual machine will be WORTHLESS for bitmining; they don't have any GPU power whatsoever, which is what you need for bitmining.

Instead of leasing a web server you would need to lease an actual server where you get to pick the operating system. But even then, you aren't going to have any GPU power because that is not typically the sort of thing people need in a server. Nobody leasing servers is going to offer a powerful video card as part of the package.

6. Thank you that is the answer I was looking for. I was like I know I can't do any of that on my server. I thought it was not possible and I was right but I think it is a good concept.

7. [quote name='"Fëanor"']If you only have FTP access and some leased space on a web server you cannot do what you are trying to do.

Virtualizing an operating system will require admin access to the server, which you have not been granted if you can only get in through FTP.

Also, when you create a virtual machine it needs the same resources as a real computer. It needs a bunch of hard disk space, it needs a few GB of memory, etc. But most importantly in your case is that a virtual machine will be WORTHLESS for bitmining; they don't have any GPU power whatsoever, which is what you need for bitmining.

Instead of leasing a web server you would need to lease an actual server where you get to pick the operating system. But even then, you aren't going to have any GPU power because that is not typically the sort of thing people need in a server. Nobody leasing servers is going to offer a powerful video card as part of the package.[/quote]

What about placing a pxe file on the webserver and then somehow routing network boot request to the IP address of the server. Maybe some type of relay or proxies type server inside the firewall. If they are limiting the incoming port request to FTP and HTTP that could screw it up though. If there was a way to encapsulate the request to get past the firewall it could still work, but if that was easily done firewalls wouldn't be effective I suppose.

Edit: just saw he was talking about bitmining. Wouldn't do anything for that since the resource load would still be on the PC.