Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

insomnia and ptsd

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by traumahotel, Sep 16, 2012.

1. apologizing for extremely long post ahead of time.

backstory: in February, I had moved back to Florida from Ohio. the kid I was dating at the time turned out to be a complete psycho. it was so bad I became an alcoholic. but because he had isolated me from everyone, I had nowhere to go. he had me living miles away from the nearest store even. so I'd walk miles beside a highway and through a wooded area just to get alcohol to tolerate living. one night, after I bought alcohol and hid it in a speedway cup, I was walking the miles of highway and woke up in the ER telling doctors I was fine and to leave me alone.

I had gotten hit by a car at 55mph. I only lived because I had been so drunk, ironically. I shattered my right ankle, broke my right tibia (shin bone), broke my pelvis in two places, broke my back in two places, lacerated my liver, retained whiplash, head trauma that gave me slight brain damage that was supposed to be temporary but my memory is so bad I don't remember what I did the day before, and screwed up my left wrist.

almost 7 months later, im mostly healed. I have a slight limp, my wrist never healed, and reoccurring pain in my back and ankle. but im fine. mentally, im fine as well. Im not afraid of death, cars, highways. I don't dwell on any of it. but now I never sleep. 2-6 days with no sleep and when I do its usually 2-4 hours a time. when I dream I only ever dream about being murdered. but in the dreams, I couldn't care less. I do nothing to fight back. I watch it happen.

so, my question: does anyone think smoking would help? its hard for me to get weed, and I plan on growing soon. im hoping being able to smoke more often would help with the insomnia and hopefully ptsd. but im also worried it could bring out the ptsd to a level im not sure I could handle. im not sure why I have it since the accident doesn't bother me and I was so wasted I remember nothing of it. just waking up in the hospital with a bracelet on that said "trauma, hotel" because they had no idea if I had been attacked or not. I just don't need more problems than im already having.

ForumRunner_20120916_175855.png

2. Yes, i think smoking might help you. You need to be careful about which strains you are using though. Heavy sativa strains have been known to severely fuck with the mental state of victims with PTSD. 100% indicas or heavy hybrid indicas have been found to be the most useful to treat insomnia, ptsd, and other emotional/mental problems. Even more specifically heavy indica strains with a higher THC to CBD/CBN ratio. Hope this helps, good luck!

3. I'm sorry to hear that all of this shit happened to you, hope you're recovering ok!

Weed can not magically solve your problems, but it can probably help. It will help you deal with the pain and help you sleep. My best advice, however, is don't let the doctors get you hooked on prescription sleeping pills or any of that shit, because it ruins lives. Also, don't forget that weed will not "cure" your insomnia and you probably shouldn't use it as a long term solution, however I've always found that weed can help to develop a regular sleeping pattern. On the plus side, if you're stoned when you go to sleep, when you wake up in the morning you instantly forget your dreams (feels like you didn't dream at all).

4. pain, insomnia, PTSD...ya...mmj should help ya...

I'd check on it with Granny Storm Crow and discuss it with her, but an Indica strain may be what you should look for IMHO...some good couch lock herb... but Granny is the authority :)

5. [quote name='"Cannabisqt"']Yes, i think smoking might help you. You need to be careful about which strains you are using though. Heavy sativa strains have been known to severely fuck with the mental state of victims with PTSD. 100% indicas or heavy hybrid indicas have been found to be the most useful to treat insomnia, ptsd, and other emotional/mental problems. Even more specifically heavy indica strains with a higher THC to CBD/CBN ratio. Hope this helps, good luck![/quote]

thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know. it'll help a lot picking out seeds.

[quote name='"Malvolio"']I'm sorry to hear that all of this shit happened to you, hope you're recovering ok!

Weed can not magically solve your problems, but it can probably help. It will help you deal with the pain and help you sleep. My best advice, however, is don't let the doctors get you hooked on prescription sleeping pills or any of that shit, because it ruins lives. Also, don't forget that weed will not "cure" your insomnia and you probably shouldn't use it as a long term solution, however I've always found that weed can help to develop a regular sleeping pattern. On the plus side, if you're stoned when you go to sleep, when you wake up in the morning you instantly forget your dreams (feels like you didn't dream at all).[/quote]

that's why I haven't gone to a doctor, they're rx peddlers. I don't really need a "cure", just a bit of help. I don't need therapy, I've handled it all very well. the only issue I do have is the insomnia and weird murder dreams. after I wake up im always a little shaken up. I just let some guy slit my throat and watched myself bleed out on my kitchen floor and felt bad I ruined the linoleum. if I could just get a push in falling to sleep and not always have to remember these dreams, that'd be great. it'll just take time for my brain to fully recover from it all, in the meantime something to help a bit would be great. thank you for your help :)

6. Weed is definitely what you need. If you want some much better/in depth advice on mmj, message Granny, her profile is here:

http://forum.grasscity.com/members/105249-storm-crow.html

7. thank you guys, ill definitely hit her up. I was kindve worried it'd make things worse. the weed I had been getting was giving me a bit of anxiety so I haven't really been trying to get any in fear I'd have a mental breakdown. I feel a lot better it now.

8. It would probably help you a lot if you live in medical state, because you can choose between indica and sativa strains. If anxiety is a problem, get hold of an indica strain and you should be fine.