Inline fan wiring question.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mcupkim, Nov 4, 2012.

1. I just received my inline fan & I have a (dumb) question. I have 3 wires...black, white and green. I have a cord that only has 2 wires. Do I need a 3 wire cord for this to work? Which wires do i connect? Do I have to connect all 3 wires? THX!

2. If you have 3 wires you should use a heavy duty cord, they have 3.

But if you must use what you have, the white should be power and black ground. Yourfan should have stickers veryifing.

3. Heyas!!

The black and white are the same as the cord. The green is the ground. If your cord had 3 wires the other one would either be copper or green. If you can't connect the green wire to a suitable ground then just tape it up.

4. Wicked, I have a cord with 2 wires, but if necessary I can buy another cord.
    Scheister, I have the 2 wires connected and just like you stated, I put a wire nut on the green. the fan works just fine, although I was wondering if by connecting the 3rd wire, if it would be faster? My concern is because I have another fan that was already wired in my window & it seems ALOT faster than the new fan I bought! It only has 2 wires on it. My new fan has 3 wires. But it works fine...I am thinking that it was a mistake by the seller on eBay. The fan I bought on ebay, the ad stated that it was a 250cfm but it is not marked anywhere what cfm it is. I think they sold me a fan that wasnt what they said it was! Thanks for the input. I didnt want to connect the extra wire & blow the motor or something. Ill just leave it be & if I need more intake to cool my room then I shall get another fan & have 2!! THX guys!

5. Yes white positive black negative and green is ground, I worded it incorrectly.

The green wire won't make it run faster, some pc fans with have 2 speeds and will usually have an extra wire but normally blue or orange.
    Normaly green is ground.

6. Is this for exhaust or intake? Are you going to have a filter on it?
    I ask these questions because that is a "booster" fan. The cfm rating is with air flow already being forced to it.

Booster fans work, and work well. But won't run well by its self in a passive intake setup. For it to work well you need a healthy intake and grow area be completely sealed. By doing so you will build a slight positive pressure instead of negative and will increase the power to that fan 10 fold.

How big is your space? And what kind of and how many lights.

7. I am using it for the intake. But like I said, I have another fan that was already here at my house & it seems as if it runs ALOT faster than this new one. But I see that you said this is a "booster" fan. Is there different types of inline fans?? Because my other fan, connected the same as this one, runs speedier! But it looks idential.
    My room is 4x4x6. 1000 watt MH with umbrella hood & digital/dimmable ballast.

8. Is the exhaust fan larger? Is it the same style of can fan?
    Did the exhaust seem to run better after the intake was put on?

If that's the case and it's same style of fan te intake is boosting the fan, that's a good thing. Are you running an a/c I'm surprised you haven't had a heat issue.

9. Sorry mate I think you might have got screwed! I agree with everything everyone else has said.

Best rule if thumb for me is get a turbine fan and exhaust outside. If you use a carbon filter and put it in the grow area, there is no need for intake. Just put a passive intake in the area and it will create negative pressure and draw air naturally.

Hope that helps:)

10. Ha!!

Sorry I read your post again. 1000w might require either an intake fan for cool air or a/c. Sorry I only do cfl so heat Is a very minor issue:)

Sorry I couldn't help more:(

11. Its the same style fan. And Im running them in the room & even took them out of the room & just set them on the floor next to eachother. One sems better than the other. No heat issue as of yet.

12. you should really address the wiring issue. Black is hot. white is nuetral. green or bare wire is ground ALWAYS. and ALWAYS run the ground so you dont have a fire when an accidental short happens. Trust me, you WANT to wire that ground in there!!!!!!

13. Not saying your are wrong, but I've never come across a black wire being hot..

14. Moral of the story is when there is a ground wire it should always be used. Get a 3 prong cord, and wire properly. White - to - white, black - to - black, green - to - green.

15. what country do you live in? Here in the US black means death (hot) :)