Inline Fan/Filter in confined space

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by UrbanFarmer2010, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Greetings GC!

I am about to embark on my 3rd grow and this time serious odor control is required.

I am growing in a closet with the following dimensions:

Width: 30 3/4"
    Depth: 19 5/8"
    Height: 74 3/4"

I am planning on getting:

HTG Supply - A GrowBright 4" Inline Fan & Carbon Filter Combo

4 inch inline with a carbon filter.
    The smell is a serious concern which is why I am resorting to an inline. My previous grow I had an ONA bucket and 3 charcoal sacks hanging and the smell was overpowering and leaked out of the room.

Feedback and assistance is appreciated! :bongin:

2. I have that same fan and filter! Love it. You should be able to fit that in there, but it will be tight. It's a small area though to be dumping all the stanky air in!

3. I have the same fan and about the same dimensions in my closet set up. It is being exhausted into my attic above however. Works great! No smell and its quiet with a speed controller

4. #4 UrbanFarmer2010, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
    That's fantastic, thanks for the reply!

I may have the exhaust vent out a window that's parallel height wise to the close about halfway. The tubing will be less than 3ft so air flow will still be strong.

How loud is it? (On the highest/lowest setting?)What could you compare it to? The sound isn't a problem I'm just curious to know.

*Edit- just had an instant highdea :bongin: about venting from the top of the closet to the window directly adjacent to the cab - but from the top opening section of the window rather than the bottom! Wow fantastic I prefer the latter!

5. Just hang the fan and filter in the upper corner of the box. Suspend it from some bungee cords attached to eye and S hooks. Makes it easier to hang and they greatly reduce the sound and vibration the fan will produce. The fan should be pretty quiet, but the sound of the air whooshing out of the exit vent is usually what is the loudest. If you're able to vent to the outside that should reduce your exhaust sound significantly.

6. #6 a J a day, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
    [quote name='"EZskanking"']Just hang the fan and filter in the upper corner of the box. Suspend it from some bungee cords attached to eye and S hooks. Makes it easier to hang and they greatly reduce the sound and vibration the fan will produce. The fan should be pretty quiet, but the sound of the air whooshing out of the exit vent is usually what is the loudest. If you're able to vent to the outside that should reduce your exhaust sound significantly.[/quote]

Most of the sound from an exhaust fan comes from it vibrating on a beam or something. As long as you hang the fan with some bungee cords with a speed controller you'll be fine

The insulation in your closet walls will also fade out the sound of the fan