Info on Rosin Presses

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Headhunterpipes, Oct 18, 2018.

1. High
    I have a 20 ton shop press , and was thinking of machining a vessel to put about a 3 pounds of trimmings into and pressing the oil out.
    What tonnage of press are you using ?
    I haven ever pressed MJ before and don't know anyone who has .
    I sure would like to know if using a press works or not and the problems and draw backs .
    Correct procedures and just best info I can get
    I want to use the press for cutting from my plants that are in veg as well as flowering .

Thank you .

2. I think now days you just buy a kit with plates that attach to your press and with some parchment paper and rosin press bags you'd be good to go. (And a lot of trial and error, hee hee)

Not sure about pressing that amount in ONE go however.

I have seen those 1lb press videos from the makers that indeed have a giant crucible type thing you must heat with a torch to then press, yikes! Not what I would think would be ideal for temp controlling.

You could always make hash first then press as well.

3. The person I am wanting to make the rosin for cannot smoke …
    She was in a natural gas explosion, she is on oxygen and in a wheel chair and was burned over 80 percent of her body .

I can control the heat in any vessel I make , that isn't the problem .
    Really what I wanted to know is diameter of the vessel other members are using , and size of press as in how many PSI they are using.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. The only crucible design I have seen was the "slug" brand where you have to heat it externally.

Hell, with the 20 ton you should be able to "pre-press" the material if buds (not sure if that matters much with trim or sugar buds) then try squishing at 185f.

I know most get by with only 5 to 10 ton presses so you should be fine, squishing to the point of yielding goodness you will have to get a feel for.

CheckBubbleMan's World YouTube channel.

5. HI
    Most the rosin presses I see for sale look like they don't do a whole lot of pressing like anything over ten tons .
    They also don't look like they hold much weed to press .
    I looked at the rosin press plates for sale Amazon , considering a I own a machine shop I really wasn't impressed .
    They really don't say how much weed they are pressing at one time

I really don't want to put allot of time into putting small amounts of weed to press .
    I would like to press several pounds of cuttings at once , get the job done and go do other things .
    I would like to make everything right the first time , and not make something that doesn't have enough pressure to press out a few pounds at one time .

I was thinking pressing rosin would be the fastest and most simplest way to make something that will help the lady who got burned .
    I really wish I could find someone who has done a fair share of pressing weed /making rosin .

6. Give it some time, some other fine gents will likely stop by and mention specifics.

I am interested to see what you find out.

Perhaps you can come up with an innovative way to process / press a bunch at a time!

The best methods I have seen in regard to ease and purity definitely still were a multiple multiple multiple press situation unfortunately.

Actually, if I were to go about it I would make dry ice hash drastically reducing the amount of actual plant matter involved before even getting to the pressing into rosin step.

May be harder to squeeze out the oil pressing so much at once but if the conditions are just scaled up I don't see why it wouldn't work?

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Can you share any more info ?

8. For me, I couldn't see it as time efficient or worth the yield to press flower, especially on a larger scale.

To me it is a novelty more than taking concentrates to the next level. Still solventless and commendable BUT what is next level, again to me, is making hash THEN pressing.

For the sake of argument if I squished and was able to get consistently 10-15% from BUDS... with well honed skills, the right strain ready to go and all things being on point, that is still a whoooole lot of pressing. Many leftover pucks of green that still will soak up SOME oil no matter if you go all the way to 20 tons. So much planty matter. I'd want to do an alcohol wash on the pressed material so even MORE work.

Let's say we were dealing with a pound.

Pre press it, then the actual heated press 1 oz at a time and we press it two times PER oz and we get 15 % back in delicious rosin.

I would venture by running that pound to hash FIRST, water bucket or dry ice or any way really, you'd be for sure "almost" doubling the potency of the material you plan on taking to press and definitely reducing the plant matter a shit ton. In theory you could double your yield per press and physically have a whole lot less material to pack into pouches, press, clean up, even further process.

Damn I don't know if I'm explaining this well at all. Just got back from a trip. I will try to add more later, I hope this makes some sense!