Indoor to Outdoor problem! *Pics*

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by The Chemist, May 12, 2010.

1. Hey guys, I transplanted my 2 and a half week old plant from indoors under about 300 watts of CFL's to outdoors last night. I live in BC Canada, in probably the hottest and sunniest place in Canada, the okanagan. not mentioning any cities.

I awoke this morning, whilst the plant wasn't in direct sunlight and it looked fine, now about 7 hours later, under direct sunlight, some of the leaves are drooping to the ground, some are crispy and cracking off. Now I'm pretty sure that its just not acclimated and the leaves may be burning. But I'll post some pictures for some reassurance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Am I right?

2. Hi there, yeah the taco'ing of the leafs up top indicates heat stress. I'd suggest giving this little plant some shade for 2-3 days (a makeshift tent of some sort), she OK where she at most likely, but the change in light intensity and temperatures may have her frazzled.

Good luck!

3. Whew, alright. Would it be advised for my next batch of germinated seeds to just go straight into the ground outside? or should I grow them inside first and then chuck them outside?

4. when u transplanted and watered/fed did u dump nutrient solution on leaves ? ive never seen oudoor transplant stress happen that fast .and ure waaayy up in bc .

5. No, I make sure to never get water or nutrients on the leaves, I've learned my lesson with that. I'm fairly confident that its just heat stress, The okanagan is famous for our hot dry summers haha. And actually, Its not that far up in bc, only about a 4 hour drive to washington.

6. yea , not familiar with pnw im in tha deep south where 95-110 deg 70%humidity for weeks/months on end is normal . i didnt think bc got that warm .

7. I normally start mine indoors then let them sit in the shade in cups a few days before transplanting them into pots (or ground in your case). I've never had much luck planting directly in hot sun, but 2-3 days usually gets them acclimated pretty good.

Also, with my tomatoes and veggies, I see heat stress wilt them within an hour or so, doesn't seem unreasonable to see something go bad in a matter of minutes.