indoor soil and ph question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by daggakop, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Ive just brought a ph tester kit and started testing the ph of everything. I have 2 plants 1 vegged for 4 weeks the other 2. Ive just put them on a 12/12 and they have started to flower now for my ph readings. I am just using tap water to feed my plants the ph is 8.4 but when I add my organic fish emulsion the ph goes to 3 but the run off comes in at 6.4-6.8. I already got nute burn once when I didnt test the ph could I get it again even though the ph level is correct? The soil I am using is half organic indoor soil and half normal potting soil.

2. How much does Salmon Kush go for anyway.

3. ^ what does he mean?

But you should be fine if ph is good as Lin as you are measuring nutes right.

4. I have no clue. Yes I am but I am over feeding. It says weekly I do it twice a week but plants seem to be loving it going to increase soon as they are just starting to flower I heard cal mag was good for flowering and budding or am I getting it confused with something else?

5. Testing the PH,and getting nute burn arent really connected.You want a PPM meter to test your water for nute levels.

If you got nute burn flush,and dont feed for awhile.Until the plant recovers for a bit.You should not feed until the plant shows signs of needing to be fed IMO.

Then next time you do feed use 1/4-1/2 strenght.Always use less then the bottle says to use.Especially on small plants,or new strains.Because some weed will love nutes,and some dont hardly need any.

6. Forcing more nutes then the plant needs will give you less crystals bud.Slow growth,and overall ruin a nice plant.

7. Actually, they very often are.

The pH affects the plant's ability to uptake nutrients -- if the pH is out of range then the plant cannot uptake the nute, even if the soil is chock full of them. So the grower ends up seeing a deficiency and so adds even more nutes, and yes that can bring the level up so high that it burns the roots. In addition, certain nutes have a lock-step relationship such that if your pH causes one to be locked out then another will be over-absorbed, which can burn the whole plant. That is why whenever someone posts about possible nute burn the first question back to him should be "what's your pH?"

I agree that less is more, don't push the nutes hard that won't get you the results you want. Give less than the manufacturer recommendation.

8. #8 xDisciplex, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013

The way he wrote the question suggested he thought PH was how much nutes was in his water.

Which is why I explained he wanted a PPM meter.Technically your right in a way yes,but your just nit picking what I said in the end.

9. 1/4 to 1/2 strength of nutrients and ph the to 6.2 before feeding it to plants in soil dont even bother testing your run off if you ph the water before feeding them. Ph is everything my friend if you don't have the right Ph your plants are bound to suffer. If you need to flush cause of nute burn make sure the water is Ph'ed and run water through it till your pulling out excess water from the bottom and then feed it with nutes next watering.

10. Disciplex I have read about a ppm meter but I thought they were just for hydro. Where is the easiest place to find one of these I don't live in America so things like this are a bit harder to find and get?

Toastybiz Thanks for helping me understand that wow makes me see the pot of dirt a little differently! Makes alot of sense the nute burn happened about 2 weeks ago managed to fight through cut dying fan leaves and now plant is totally green.

Mocakes you say 6.2 if mine gets any higher I will have to take action but for now I think 6.8 is working ok dont want to try adjust and hurt it more.

11. #11 xDisciplex, Jan 18, 2013
    Order a PPM meter form ebay is all I can think of.

Mocakes is right best to stay between 6.0-6.5

In the germination/seedling/ and vegetative phase of growth MJ will do very well at a PH range of 5.5 to 6.5. You also hear of coco users maintaining their PH at about 6 but the fact is that even coco will do well for the first 3 phases of growth at the same PH. Although potting mixes have less problems with nutrient PH lockout than outdoor soil, for maximum flower development/weight/size/ and vigor your PH should be above 6 and at or below 6.5 in the flowering stage. The reason for this is that the most important nutrient P(phosphorus) in flowering is easily absorbed and assimilated by the plants in the 6 to 6.5 range(its actually higher than 6.5 but we start to run into micro nutrient availability above 6.55). Your plants will do fine from 5.5 to 6.5 but for the best bud development in flowering it needs to be above 6 and below 6.5. Hope the info helps.

12. Ok I will go look on ebay for one. Ok so now for my next water I am going to add a little lemon juice to bring the ph of my water down as it is 8.4 so that should bring my soil ph down as I read that your soil ph is between the water you feed it and your run off. So if my water is 8.4 and the run off is 6.8 my soil ph is around 7.6. Would you agree with that?

13. Not nitpicking -- probably two-thirds of newbies coming on here with a "nute problem" turns out they have a pH problem, that's way more than "aren't really connected."

Let's say I'm losing weight even though I'm eating like a horse. The doctor says there's an imbalance in my digestive system that is preventing my body from absorbing the nutrients out of what I eat. So until that imbalance is addressed, no matter how much more I stuff myself I still will lose weight, and I'll cause myself other health problems as well from over-eating. Cause-and-effect most certainly are "connected".

14. Ok found a ppm meter for $7.66 on ebay think I will open an account and buy it depending on shipping but I don't think it will be a problem. Would you agree on dropping the ph of the water I use to feed the plants?

15. Your pH numbers sound weird, but to take them at face value your runoff is perfect, if that's the case don't adjust.

16. #16 xDisciplex, Jan 18, 2013

I simply disagree.Your over exagerating just to try,and look more right.

The majority of newbies get nute burn because they think more food = more bud.Or they see lower leaf defoliation which is normal,but they dont realize its normal,and feed.

Your right ther can be a connection.

However I didnt PH my water for a long time when I was noob,and never had a burn issue from PH lockout.

Do some people have PH issues that seems similar to burn,or causes burn?Yes.

Do I think 2/3 of noobs burn their plants through PH lockout?

Hardly.

Even typing it makes me feel stupid.

17. Toasty why do my numbers not make sense and sound weird? I won't adjust unless I see a def but for now they seem to be going great!

18. I suggested lowering the ph gradually so you don't shock the root system since its what your worrying about but I promise you 6.2 is better for uptake of all the nutrients rather than some. Maybe start lowering by a ph or two until you get to 6.2. MJ are not as delicate as people make they out to be

19. Dolomite lime is used as a pH stabilizer with a neutral pH of 7 when added to soil. Basically it neutralizes your soil to a pH of 7. It is high in magnesium and calcium. Next time you start a new cycle put the dolomite lime in your soil until you get a neutral reading of 7. Then you will need to PH test your water EVERY time you water!! Make sure you are between 6.3 and 6.5 for budding. It's a lot easier to raise your PH then to lower it. Adjust your soil pH slowly over several days time, and check pH often as you go. Radical changes in pH may cause osmotic shock and damage to the roots.