Indoor Poppies

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by sneakers, Jun 15, 2007.

1. I used to try and cultivate the opium from those white poppies that grow wild here in Texas (and I'm sure in other states too). I never was able to get more than a hit or 2 but a friend of mine used to spend summers at his parents house in the country and he would spent several weeks cultivating the opium from those poppies. He would wind up with a chunk of it about the size of a softball. It is pretty good to smoke too as long as you dont do too much or over too long of a time (it messes up your head).

Has anyone tried growing those indoors and how successful was it?

Can the seeds from the red poppies be purchased anywhere?

I also wonder about growing a coca plant indoors.

2. make heroin out of it. that'll get you the highest.

3. no thanks. it is a nice high when smoked (just don't smoke too much). I have heard that Thai Stick was made by dipping buds into opium. Even then it wasn't as good as promoted, no telling what kind of bud was used. Just thinking of some possibilities.

4. Yes indoor cultivation of Papaver Somniferum is possible, although the consequences can be severe. Technically Papaver Somniferum (the opium poppy) is illegal, yet random floral shops and even stores such as wal-mart sell seeds for varieties such as Hens and Chicks, a quite potent and heavy yielding poppy. I came across them one time at Wal-Mart and bought all 6 of the packs, because I knew at the time the DEA is doing private investigating regarding cultivation of papaver somniferum. Anyway, they are extremely easy to germinate. In fact, I would have had a nice blooming poppy now, as I saved one peat pellet I put seeds on, but went away for a week, and it dried up and died due to not being watered.

For those who have smoked opium, such as myself, they know it's nice, but in a way perhaps too nice. But you'd be better off actually purchasing opium, than extracting it yourself, which if you are caught, it's a federal charge. Also, unless you have a large grow room specifically dedicated to the cultivation of them, don't expect to produce enough finished product to get rich off of. Yes, you can grow one poppy, extract it's opium, and get nicely medicated. It's really as simple as that (a fact the government tries to hide from us), but in the long run, there's really no point. Especially if you are addicted to narcotics as it is, as it would just be a let down.

By that I mean, you'd spend your few months of getting a small amount of raw opium. Then, you'd lose more of the product by boiling it in water to get cooked opium, also known as smoking opium, which further purifies the product.

I am extensively educated regarding the cultivation of cannabis and papaver somniferum, yet clueless as to cultivating the coca plant. What I've heard, is that it can't be done. Yet, the government spreads so much misinformation that you really can not take what they say as fact. Just as they'd prefer you to believe opium poppies only come from the golden triangle, I'm not sure if they are just wanting us to believe that it can't be cultivated indoors or in america, etc... so no one bothers to try. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone here is knowledgeable when it comes to cultivating the coca plant outside of it's native environment.

Peace,
    horror business

5. That's about the idea of it. I was also going to try and see if there would be a way to dip some good bud into some of it to smoke. I heard that is how Thai Stick is made.

I have heard the high altitude is required. That might be hard to duplicate.

If I ever do these poppies, I may send you a PM looking for advice, especially in your method of cultivating. What you said sounds foreign to me. Maybe thats why I have never been very successful with it and I sure have no idea of how to get in touch with that friend from 35 years ago.

6. what up man.......i also wonder about growing coca plants.... but it would be hard to make it worth wile, because to turn it into coke, you have to have 100kilos of dried leaf to get 1 kilo of coke(or 100grams to get 1 gram). not to mention that the process of turning it into coke, requires, some chemicals that would probably be hard to come by..... also you have to have a good understanding of chemistry, i once saw the instructions and there's no way i would be able to do it, without finding someone who studies chemistry, or someone who has done it before. I also once saw a place online to order a coca plant clone. but there are 100's of strains of coca plant and only 2 of them are used for making coke.

i am currently growing an opium plant right now outside. i know they like COOLER temps than weed, i think optimal is around 65 deg F. and like with the coca plant, there are numerous strains of the poppy plant... but the only one that will produce opium is the Papaver Somniferum. i ordered seeds online, i got a pack for $5 and there were so many in there. i'd guess about 1000, just to get an idea of size... a marijuana seed is about 20-40 times bigger than an opium poppy seed. this is where i ordered mine.... http://www.bouncingbearbotanicals.com/opium-poppy-p-152.html they have all types of differnt seeds... including. opium poppy.....salvia divinorum, some cactus (the kind that makes you hallucinate) and a bunch of other shits.... its cool too, cuz they got like the commonly known name and the scientific name....

7. "That's about the idea of it. I was also going to try and see if there would be a way to dip some good bud into some of it to smoke. I heard that is how Thai Stick is made."

That's the idea that I had as well. Not any crazy dream of producing mass quantities of narcotics to sell, but just to enjoy it for myself once in a while. A popular method that I think you'd enjoy I'll explain, but first let me explain the basic principle of gathering opium in case some don't know.

Opium, and all of it's narcotic derivatives come from the opium poppy, Papaver Somniferum. There are many different "strains" and varieties of Papaver Somniferum. Well, it's a flower, for those who don't know. When the flower's petal falls off, there is small round pod that remains. Very quickly after the flower petals fall off, it will enlarge. Once it is "ripe" the pod is scraped to get it to "bleed" out this milky white liquid. After it is scored, you can either collect it there, or leave it on overnight for collection the next day. This liquid within hours oxidizes and turns into a dark brown. Raw opium. You can smoke it if you want it at that stage, but most people "cook" their opium first. That is done by boiling some water, and putting in your opium. it's turns back into a liquid and disolves into the water, but all the plant debris, etc... goes to the top and skims off. You then, let the water evaporate, either by heating or letting it sit for a long time. What's left is a much purer form of the opium.

A comparison would be kief to top quality bubble hash. It's just more pure.

Anyway, on to the method I think you'd enjoy. Some people, while scoring their pods for the opium, will wipe a rolling paper over it, while it's still clearish, so it soaks into the paper. Then, you let the paper dry, and roll a joint as usual.

As far as thai sticks being made with opium, I'm not sure about that, but here is what DJ Short had to say about opium laced thai-weed being exported:

"Opium Soaked Herb

An element was added to certain shipments of Thai herb in the 70's: "early water."
    A by-product of the heroin trade, early water was the leftover water used to create the heroin from the raw opium.
    It contained all of the constituents of opium except most of the heroin.

The curing Thai herb was soaked in the water and redried to absorb the opiate alkaloids. The result was a high that was sought out by some, but more than most bargained for. A good wash was an enjoyable thing, but some were over-laced, which caused a dilemma for those who would start spinning after a few hits on a joint."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I have heard the high altitude is required. That might be hard to duplicate."

It's ironic how things happen. Your thread regarding old strains got me intrigued to learn more, so I typed in "old marijuana strains" in a search engine, and somehow got to a link regarding the cultivation of the coca plant. I just started reading it, so I'm not done yet, but here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.mellowgold.com/Coca-Cultivation-Processing.html

8. why would it not be possible to cultivate coca plants? especially indoor. when you grow indoor, your growing environment is whatever you tell it to be. you could make it identical to its native environment. i am not an expert or anything, but i did a lot of reading up on it. and i know coca plants grow in i think 3 diffent regions of the world (naturally) i remember reading this article saying that one of the regions of the world they grow in was almost identical to the climate in southern california, so they were saying outdoor cultivation in a climate such as that would work really well. the hardest part of growing a coca plant would be getting the seeds/clones. and even if your found a source, to make sure that you are actually getting one of the 2 ( Erythroxylum coca and Erythroxylum novogranatense )out of about 200 differnt species of Erythroxylum (scientific name for the plant) that would actually work for making coke.

if i remember right, the coca plant is more like a small tree.. with a woody stem. and if so, growing in hydro might be difficult, and even growing in dirt, you would probably need a lot more of it, then for marijuana or opium, or other commonly indoor grown plants.

9. yes, about 100g of leaf to make 1g. you can buy the leaves in "coca tea" bags from columbia. These leaves have full alkaloid content, and can be shipped to the US because of some kind of cultural clause or something. They are illegal, but that doesnt stop it from coming in the country easily enough thru mail. The chemicals to convert into cocaine are esentially a solvent (usually kerosene) an acid (usually sulfuric) a Base ( usually sodium hydroxide or sodium carb) and a strong oxidizer (usually KmNO4, or potassium permangenate). all are very easily obtainable.

One Coca plant can be harvested up to 3 times a year, and depending on size, can yield up to 1 kilo of leaf. It is a hearty plant, and I am pretty sure light schedules and such have nothing to do with it. so 24/0 the whole way. remember, you want the leaf, not flowers, buds or fruit. Good veggie ferts work great.

Havent done the cocain synth, but the tea is very mildly pleasant. 1g leaf to 8oz water gives a mild stimulation. ive done 5g in one cup water and felt empty and numb inside, felt like a Zeplin on speed.

Opium poppies I have done indoors. KEEP IT COOL!!!! elevation doesnt effect growth of plant so much as it effects potency. Higher elevs make more potent pods. I grew 20 plants in 8inch pots with standard potting soil ( like you use for your MJ) veg ferts the same and flower ferts the same as well.

THE BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GROWING POT AND POPPIES is the light cycle. the cycles are the oposite for poppies. They veg in 12/12, and flower in 18/6.

The yield with poppies is very disappointing tho. you have to think, it takes one HECTARE of farmed poppies to make about 1 kilo of opium. I only yielded 3 bowls off my 20 poppies. The amount i sopent on electricity to grow them, i could have bought 10 bundles of heroin (former addict DONT DO THE HORSE) A buddy of mine had 5 acres of them. takes 5 days to harvest all of it, and only got 1/2 kilo. After 2 runns, the soil was depleated, and it became impractical to farm.

HOPE THIS HELPED

10. As an old recovered junkie I would urge everyone to stick to good-ol MJ.She is gental and safe.cocain almost destroyed my life and heroin outright killed friends of mine.I was lucky and blessed.I only did two years in prison and half my family will talk to me again.save yourselves and your family's allot of grief and heartache.stick to mother natures best and safest.just because it grows naturally dose not make it safe.and for those of you that think your to strong to be caught out by by these powerful drugs...well best of luck.:devious:

11. I'm going to try and grow some poppies of my own next growing season, but I'll be doing mine outdoors. I don't have the time and energy to put into indoor growing.

This website has a lot of good info. I'm waiting for them to reopen registration so I can join the forums.

12. Amen, broken cage. I was a slave to the needle for a few years. My mom got me started on it when i was 15. Yeah, i know, my moms fucked up, meth will do that to ya. coke, meth, heroin, done them all, they will all lead you to the same places, lonliness, poverty, the hospital, and the last stop thatr train makes is DEATH.

BUT! The coca plant leaves do make a great tea because of the other alkaloids in the leaf that maintain Blood Pressure, and actually help out your digestive system. When cocain manufacturers extract the Cocain HCl from the leaf, the oxidize it out of solution wuith the other alkaloids, and discard the benificial ones.

Opium poppy feels great, but I find it better as a medicine. It helps with sleeplesness and diareah. Do too much and you will be plugged up for a week.

take it from me. these plants are better left in thier plant form. They have only been turned into these extreme drugs by the underground drug market to get you addicted and take your money.

The chances of you growing enough of any of these plants to become soly dependent on these plants is very slim (im not saying that its not possible), But use them when you NEED them, not whenever yhou feel like it ( thats what MJ is for)

coca leaf to help wake up on those days coffee just wojnt do, and some opium after you drank the water in mexico.

have a sparkling evening.

13. two things some of you might want to know... First, regarding collection of raw opium from the pod... You must allow all the peddles to fall off the pods, then allow the pods to swell for approx. 10 days. This is when you slice the pod. If you do this prematurely you are defeating your purpose. Two or three slices with a knife, etc. are plenty, but take caution so you do not slice all the way into the actual pods, where the seeds are. Allow the milky white latex substance to dry on the pod, it will turn an earthen brown then scrape it off for collection. You can further refine this goo or simply eat or smoke it then. You may also make tea from the pods, but I have found smoking O is much more effective...

You can purchase high output seeds online,,, Tasmanian Papaver Som. is the best in the world, but if you get caught planting this stuff and scoring the pods your ass is going away for a long time. Feds have mandatory minimum sentencing,,, you are looking at a 5 to 10 years. Knowledge is power, so educate yourself prior to making any rash decisions...

Secondly, regarding cultivation of the coca plant. This plant has been grown outside of its indigenous hight altitude area for decades... it can be grown successfully here in the USA, but the yield of ecgonine, the active alkaloid in the coca plant, might be diminished. Coca prefers high altitude, thin air, yet, it is widely cultivated in central america and southern Mexico... I think if one had the seeds then one would be successful in either outdoor and or indoor cultivation if the right environmental conditions were given, e.g. GREEN HOUSE with oxygen and CO2 control...
    But you will not get cocaine from this operation, you will get the afore mentioned alkaloid. Conversation to cocaine take some know how and I would not recommend that anyone short of one year of college chemistry/organic chemistry to try this, less you wish to poison yourself or blow your ass up... chewing the coca leaf is a pleasant and mild experience...

14. In order to cultivate enough coca to produce your own cocaine you need acres and acres of coca fields. So basically you would spend hours and hours cultivating the plant in your grow room, alter it chemically to extract its narcotic properties. Blow your whole stash in one line. Then immediately get on the phone looking for your next bump. Its just not feasible. I could see cultivation of the right strain of coca to munch and gum the leaves however, I know agricultural laborers do that in Peru and Colombia and places where Coca is prevalent to get a good strong up buzz, which is probably stronger than the horshiet baby formula they try to push in the midwest whrere im from.

15. You are 100% correct. It would not be a feasible venture unless, as you mention, you were able to isolate or create a strain of high yielding alkaloids and simply practice the art of chewing coca. The indigenous people of Peru, Bolivia, and others, have long enjoyed the benefits of the leaf without the driving obsession that accompanies refined cocaine.

Yeap, lots of shit on the street. I do not partake in this particular form of death anymore. LOL. I would, however, chew the hell out of some leaves if I could get them, but...

16. hello everyone my name is frank. i have heard if you smoke opium you hallucinate. a girl at my work she is 40 said when she was a kid she got thai stick and she smoked between an eight to a quarter. she said it was very similiar to acid except her jaw wasnt sore and it was much more relaxing. also my dad told me alice and wonderland was made on opium. any feedback would be great