Indoor/outdoor growing

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by MikeinBako, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Hey everyone,

I started growing some AK47's from seed I got from online, and I'm doing a mixture of inside light and outside light. They're only a few weeks old, but they seem to be growing very well. Every morning I take them outside to be in the sun, and bring them in at night to be under a T5 for a few more hours. Is this a bad thing for the plant? I live in So Cal, so they get a lot of sun, some wind, an abundance of CO2. I did notice the leaves and stems were pointing straight up, so I took some zip ties to force them flat.

Organic soil, with mulch, and I'm going to be using fox farms dirty dozen.

20160729_143537.jpg 20160729_143523.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 MikeinBako, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    I topped all but 2 of them, I'm going to see how tall they get on their own. They seem to be loving the sun, and being brought in at night for more light. I've noticed that the soil I am using, is shrinking on me, so I'm going to have to attempt a transplant, hopefully that will give them the amount of soil they need. These are 5 gal, so they still have room, but I want them to have has much room as possible.
    Last week, I over fed them, and they burned a little, luckily I caught it in time, and they are doing wonderfully. Growing from seed, is probably one of the most enjoyable growing experiences I have had in a long time.
    Some basic info on my grow:

What strain is it? AK-47 feminized, purchased the seeds online (fingers crossed)
    Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? hybrid, 75 Indica 25 Sativa
    Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Vegg state
    If in Veg... For how long? I started the grow on June 25ish. Thats when I germinated the seeds
    Indoor or outdoor? both, Im in SO CAL, so they get a lot of sun during the day, and then I bring them in for more light. 18-6 light cycle
    Soil or Hydro? soil
    If soil... what is in your mix? Kellogs organic mix from Lowes
    Size of light? 4 T5 (2 regular HO, and 2 Hortilux powerveg FS+UV)
    Is it aircooled? open
    Temp of Room/cab? at night its roughly 70-80s
    RH of Room/cab? high 40s low 50
    Any Pests ? none so far
    How often are you watering? every other day
    Type and strength of ferts used? Foxfarm dirty dozen recommendation schedule
    Bucket Size - 5 gallon
    I started 5 plants at the same time, and about 2 weeks later I started my 6th.

Attached Files:

3. #3 MikeinBako, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Last week I noticed I didn't get all the nutes off of my plant, and it burned the leaves some, so this week I made sure to keep the liquid away from the leaves. I went down to the local big box hardware store, and picked up a couple of multi-readers. I am running mainly organic, and I've read that you don't have to worry about the pH, but I still want to know. The nutes I'm using isn't quite 100% organic, its the dirty dozen from fox farm, so it's very close. My pH was a little high, so I did add some pH down, and its now around the 7 mark, from above the 8.

Another reason why I bought the meters, is so I know what the moister is in the pots. I want to make sure I'm not over watering them, or under watering them. I did find there is a difference between the soils I used, the small plant is all soil, no mulch, while the others have mulch in them. The all soil doesn't stay as wet as the others, which means I'll probably have to water more frequently than the others.

I am noticing a difference between the plants I topped, and the 2 I haven't. They both appear to be doing fine, the topped ones seem to be more stretchy, while the untouched ones seems to bushier. The tops shutes stretched out, while the untouched everything is staying close. I've been raising all these plants at the same time, same condition, same nutes, everything. I haven't ran into any bug problems yet, so that's a good sign. It's been going on a little over a month, and I'm going to continue to veg them for at least 1 more month, before I start flowering them 2 by 2 with the hands of green.

Attached Files:

4. Good morning, I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend, and remember, it's only preseason.

Last week, I started trimming and manipulating some of my plants, and I noticed they were suffering Magnesium deficiency. So I did my research, it happens with potting mixes that aren't specific to our girls. Easiest and quickest way to help them out, was to use natural Epsom salt. So now when I water and feed them, Im putting in about a teaspoon. All the suggestions call for about 2 tablespoons a month for regular plants, ours need it a little more than theirs.

With the cuttings, I started my cloning process, I took 2 clones per plant, and I did have a little problem. Most of the clones did pretty well, but some almost died on me. I left the lights on, and it was too hot in there, and not enough humidity (stupid SO CAL). SO I turned the lights off, continued spraying them about every 2 hours with the water, and flower kiss (once a day). The water does have some Epsom salt, but not a whole lot, again, these girls need it.

I measured my non topped plants, and they're about 1'7", they grow so fast :cry: By the time I flower them, they should be over 2' tall, with a final height around 4-5'.

This morning, because of the Mg, deficiency, and as long as they've been growing, I went a head and flushed them. I started them out with the sledgehammer flush, and let it soak through, than I ran the water through them, till the water almost ran clear. Sense I was flushing, I didn't use my filtered water, I just used tap water, using filtered water like that will get expensive. I don't have an RO filter, I have one that filters out everything but the dissolved solids.

After I flushed and let it sit for a few, I fed them and put them up to get some sun.

I did take a couple of pictures of my veg room, It's temp room for now, I wanted to see how the mylar would perform. its roughly 3'W x 4'H x 4'L.It's strong enough to hold the light, and all my nutes and equipment on top, while not taking up a lot of room in my main bedroom.

If you noticed anything I should have done differently, please let me know, we're all here to learn. :thankyou:

Attached Files:

5. Not much has changed, I did take a picture of one of my supercropping branches, I have read that pinching the branches, gives it the same effect, without the possibility of breaking the branch. Another advantage of the pinching, is that the branch won't lay flat at the 90, so it should help with elimination the need of the screen on the outside. But I think no matter what, I will need to put up supports, when it's time to flower.

Other than this, my girls have been growing, and eating up the nutes, I'm just hoping I'm not underfeeding them now. My clones seem to be doing well, they aren't growing, so I'm hoping they're still growing roots, They've been there for 2 weeks. This pretty much marks my 2 month mark, from seed to now, so here in a couple of weeks, I'll build a greenhouse for them, and start the flowering process.

Attached Files:

6. This week I'm getting ready to put my girls into flower, so I built a greenhouse for this. The ground wasn't as leveled as I would like, but it'll work just fine. I do know that it's getting warm in there during the day, and my clones started getting white mold at the tips, so I'm going in there and misting them. I have on order on a misting system, and a fan, which should eliminate the heat and mold issue. I'll be putting plastic down, and sealing the rear bottom. The only other issues I've had, is I've lost a couple of clones, the roots never formed. So instead of using the cloning powder and soil, I'm going with a water only method. I know it works with regular plants, so I'm hoping I'll have more success.

Attached Files: