Indoor hydro/coco/soil cherry tomato grow(Biology Lab experiment)

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by NugNation, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Whats up Grasscity? Im growing Tiny Tim cherry tomatos for my bio lab. My plants will exhibit different vairables such as grow medium, nutes, and lighting. Ive never grown anything but MJ which was done in soil and coco. Im new to hydro. Ill be doing a DWC set up in a three gallon bucket. I put half of my seeds in a wet paper towel in a ziplock in a heating pad today. Im neverous about starting these tomatos from seed as i have no experince with them. I have Sure to Grow starter cubes which can be used to germ or start cuttings. My plan is to drop the seeds in once the tap root is shows. ive read that just dropping the ungermeniated seed in is a hit or miss thing. I hope some fellow garden growers will follow this thread and chime in and watch my experiment unfold! Any advice will be much appericated!! Thanks- Alex

2. I've been growing tomatoes for a year now.

Super easy to grow

Here are some tips

Regular water: irregular watering will lead to blossom rot even.if its getting enough water. If your doing hydro it wont be a problem.

However make sure you don't over water. Some signs of overwatering will be yellowing leaves from the tip especially before their time.

Light. Good luck growing indoors LOL. What are you using? If you grow weed indoors you probly already have a good settup.

Your.tomatoes are going.to be.pricy though

Roots: THIS ONE IS A MUST!
    When your tomato pplants are about a foot or more tall, bury/submerge like 80% of the plant (all.except the top leaves/branches)

Tomatoes grow roots like crazy. If you bury the stem early in the grow season you'll get mad yield conpaired to just letting it grow

Other then that, tomatoes are probly the easiest thing you can grow.

Have fun

3. Thanks for the advice Yuri, my set up will be two-2gal. coco in smart pots. two-2gal soil or peatmoss i want soil but there are no hydro stores around here. and one 3 gallon dwc all under a 2ft t-5. I will post pictures of set up when i get some seedlings under the lights!

4. Can you easily transplant in that settup?

The burying of the tomato stems is important if you want good yield/big plants.

5. starting seeds in cubes until they are ready to transplant. im neverous about the seeds developing good roots the cubes.the cubes are called Sure to Grow, their like rockwool cubes. strain is tiny tim cherry tomato grow up to 18 inches and fruit in 55days!

6. Wow that's way smaller then my cherry tomatoes.

Mine grow about 2 feet and have multiple stalks.

Anyway when I say "transplant" I mean second transplant.

You'll.obviously transplant the babies into a bigger settup. But once the plant starts getting tall (6-8 weeks) you want to transplant it again burying the stem so roots will grow out of it

7. I'm also doing tomatoes and peppers in hydro. I made a 20 gallon Rubbermaid dwc. They grow really fast in hydro.hope they work out for you.

8. If you like Radish the Cherry Belle Radish is ripe for picking in 22days for harvest.