indoor growing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by thirdworldarmy, Dec 4, 2006.

1. ok so i live in oregon and its pure death outside so a plant would not make it. my house is kept at 62* when nobody's home and 68* when someone is, so is that ok temperature to grow inside? also would it get enough sunlight if it was in a window sill?
    sorry if these have been answered already just delete thread if they have.

2. MJ prefers temps of about 70 to 80...... 62 might be ok.
    Window sill will not provide enough light - the seedling will stretch looking for more light, eventually becoming to heavy on the top and unable to support it's own weight, and die.

3. well i have a sun room so if i put it in there it MIGHT work. Also what if i do the thing where i make the plant grow around the pot and then up, not sure what it is called but i saw it in a thread. wouldn't it be able to support the weight then since it has a stronger base?

4. No, he means there are not enough hours of light for a plant, nor is it strong enough. You need to provide it with indoor lighting.

5. o ok, one more question. Would it be better to let it have regular sunlight and indoor lighting after the sun sets
    ?

6. When the plant isn't receiving enough light the seedling stretches. When it gets plenty of light it grows......
    You can try your sunroom, but don't expect great results.

I think what you are refering to is LSTing, or Low Stress Training - this is where the branches are tied down to the pot or frame. This is a good idea, but you need to get the plant to a decent height before you can LST !

7. It might work, but your changing the plants conditions too much be constantly bringing it inside every night.
    Either have an indoor or outdoor grow, don't try to mix the two.
    Outdoor grow will yield once a year, Indoor grow you might get 3 or even 4 a year.

8. what i meant was light from the sunroom and then when it starts getting dark change over to the artificial light that i will provide. not bring the plant outside then back inside.

9. Still not a good idea, becuase the light will be different. The sun light will be different strength and intensity to the indoor lights.
    One thing MJ doesn't like is change. it puts stress on the plant which can make it turn into a hermie = no buds.

Thats why I said, make an indoor grow or an outdoor grow. don't mix.

If you decide on the indoor grow, it could also help with your low temps. Becasue the lights will raise the temp around the plant by a few degrees.

10. ok, thanks for the help guys. i appreciate it.

11. There is some misinformation here:

LST stands for Low Stress Training, not long slow.

True that a window sill will not provide enough light, but a greenhouse might. It depends on how long of a light period the plant gets (now is not long enough in the northern hemisphere) and how much of what kind of light reaches the plant after accounting for time of year and what the glass might filter out.

You could use indoor lighting to supplement the sunlight hours that the plant is getting. They key is being consistent and gentle, which can be hard to do. For example, if the plants are in a greenhouse you usually would not want artificial light shining in there at night because neighbors would see it, so that means you would be moving the plants to a different room every evening and back in the morning. That's doable but a pain and also could allow mishandling of the plants.

The answer for most indoor growers is to set up an grow room or box and have the plants in there all the time with all artificial lighting. If you don't want to do that my advice would be to wait until the Spring and then start growing in the green house, if it gets enough hours of light.