Indoor Growing Question (Household Items)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by chubbyblunts, Aug 1, 2014.

1. #1 chubbyblunts, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    Ok as of now my plant has been growing as an outdoor plant. This plant has been growing for like 2+ months. It wasn't tooken care correctly as I was out of town. It's only about 8-9 inches tall and I need to get it more light but in southern Cali the sun only hits for about a good 12 hours estimated so I wanted to switch to indoor growth get my plant 24 hours of light so it can get bigger and more stronger stems. The roots didn't have that much when I replanted it when it was in shock for a few months but now when I watered it I saw quite a lot of new roots from the water moving the soil. But I didn't dig to check though.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406923712.469620.jpg I have this lamp it has 5 arms and is able to bend and adjust so it can Hoover over plant. Info on watts and bulbs would be nice.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406923765.270529.jpg inside of the lamp arm. Should I take the white cover off so light can travel in every direction?

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406923824.623425.jpg pic of my plant (outdoor) want to make it an indoor. Plants been growing for 2 + months but has been in shock so it was a like 3 inches tall then it grew when I gave it more sun.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406923931.448103.jpg I also have another CFL light that's has the really long bulbs. Info on watts would be good

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406924028.321301.jpg also I have a fan

My rooms gets pretty hot so I have a few fans to cool the room also I could put a fan in the window to bring in some heat?

Any feed back on my first indoor equipments that I have or suggest on things I should get would be helpful or how I should set mines up for a good harvest! Thanks to all who took the time to read and give some advice

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

2. Is my equipment alright to grow one plant indoors?

Yes, absolutely! Pull one of those bulbs out... what's the wattage and color (K) of the bulbs? 2700k? 3000k? 5000k? 6500k?

You don't need to keep them on 24/0. An 18/6 schedule in veg is fine (18 hours light, 6 hours complete darkness). You need to find an area to grow, secluded from anything else that you can block out all light. A closet, a grow tent, a room to itself. Somewhere that no light penetrates or enters during the dark period. This will even become more apparent and essential when you decide to flip into flower and give 12 hours light, 12 hours darkness, or as you will see commonly referred to as "12/12"

Ideally, you want 6500k CFL's in that crazy light, bend them down to have the bulbs 3-5" from the top of the plant, and the most efficient way to point the bulbs is have them laying flat, or horizontal, versus vertical or up/down. As you suggested, remove those alabaster light covers, they won't do a damn thing for your grow except restrict light.

Keep the soil a little more moist. It looks soooo dry! :D

4. temporarily you might be able to use those lights you will have to keep them as close as ya can to the plant with cfl I usually tried to keep em within 2 ", if you want any real growth or production tho you need to switch to hps  or cfls set ups designed for growing.......preferably hps a 400 watt would be plenty for a single indoor and ya can get it on amazon or ebay for like 110...hope that helps and good luck.....

5. #5 NGP, Aug 1, 2014

I think you mean an MH light (metal halide), not an HPS (high pressure sodium). HPS bulbs are strictly for flower, not for veg growth. Eventually an HPS would be a good investment for OP, but not until his girl grows up and is ready to go into flower. :smoke:

6. The bulb says 13w but I can go buy a pack with like 24 wats and have all 5 lights angled at positions. I have my closet I can just put it in after those 16 hours of light then just put it in my closet. The bulb says not for use in luminaries. So what kind of cfl should I get and how much watts each bulb cuz I no a 24 watt bulb will give off like 100 watt or something like that

Something like these.... 100w, 6500k. I got these from Lowe's, $10 for a 2 pack.

View attachment 1470958 View attachment 1470959

8. I would get those but my lamp label says cautions to reduce risk of fire use max watt 60 watts
    Should I say fuck it and just use 100 watts
    We'll it has 5 arms so I'm pretty sure I can use smaller watts more bulbs right

Those are actually only 23w bulbs, they emit the equivalent of 100w. So if each socket is rated up to 60w (which is likely the case), you are plenty in the clear

10. Would these bulbs do the job ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406927112.030327.jpg

11. IMO, MH produces a better quality product when used for flowering. I feel all aspects are improved, taste, smell, legs, high all seem above and beyond what I get using HPS to flower. Yields are smaller but I feel quality improves, especially with sativa doms! Sorry to interrupt, carry on! Peace!

12. #13 NGP, Aug 1, 2014

All good brother, the spirit of a forum is all about exchanging knowledge, information and experience :)

13. Man how come I didn't no about is place a few months ago I probably would of been in late flowering state right now but I learned a lot in the last two days since I been hear good people with good knowledge. Much appreciated hall much love

14. #15 evilsanta666, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    i did an experiment grow with 4 of those same kind of bulbs.
    i ended up putting them in the sun from the window durring peak hours of the day though
    after 12/12 switch i also picked up a 40w LED lamp that screws right into a normal socket for about $20 on ebay, if you have a little extra cash it might be worth a look
    i only got about 7g in the end but it was a small experiment plant, but yours is much bigger and should do better lol

keep it up, peace

15. #16 DevilsLettuce52, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    looks good, u dont need all the fancy shit some people say if your just doin 1, lights a plant and a fan will work.  I would definitely go get the 23 w ones, theyre the smallest ive really ever heard of people using.  Theyre actually more cost efficient and more lumens per watt and cheaper per watt than larger cfls too.  for example here u can get a 4 pack of the 23 w for 7 bucks, whereas a big 75 watt cfl is about 18 bucks for 1...you do the math 23w ones are all i buy anyore, only downside is u need lots of extension cords and adaptors, which does get to be a pain in the ass lol, but youve got that lamp so it should work out fine.  btw watch for it getting hot in that lamp if u got 5 23 watt ones, those things WILL  get hot as hell, u need a fan blowing ON THE LIGHTS at all times, or theyll get really hot.  some people say cfls dont get hot, i disagree, mine always get hot especially if theres others around them.  and ya, you want 5000 or 6500 k (cool white or daylight) for veg, 2700(soft white) for flowering.  Pretty important to get those right, lots of people use a mix IE 5 cool white and 3 soft white for veg, 5 soft white and 3 cool white for flower, or something like that.  good luck, you can do it with household lights and fans, might not get a huge yield, but its easier than some people make it out to be!  good luck and have fun! :metal:

16. I had bought 4 of the 65000k with 23 watt ones replacing the 100 watt one but I then for got that lamp can only hold 60 watt type a bulbs so I had to get the 13 w replacing 60 watts but it has only 800 lumens the other one had more and it has 6500k

17. ahhhh bummer well ya guess the 13 w ones will have to work then.  could probably exchange em for the right size if the store lets u, or just hang em from extention cords lots of people do that.