Indoor Grow Using Sunlight?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BakedSpaghetti, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Hey everyone, so the title makes this pretty self-explanatory.

I was simply wondering what would be the effects of doing an indoor grow but using the sunlight from windows and such instead of running lights, and keeping the room light proof.

I am debating on starting a grow, but unfortunately I don't quite have access to the extra-funds to buy a whole bunch of ventilation equipment, and lighting for the plants. However, I do have access to fertilizers, and such to help out with strengthening the plant. I planned on buying some "feminised" seeds just to ensure that they grow and sprout nice buds, but there's this notion that if you don't use super nice / proper grow techniques then your plants won't even grow, and that you're wasting your money.

I'd like to be re-assured that my investment isn't purposeless.

I understand that using lighting, and ventilation is key to ensuring that your plants grow nice and strong, and you increase your yield, but in all actuality the plant can still grow with just natural light and ventilation (The way it would if it were an outdoor plant). To my knowledge, the basics that you need to grow ANY plant is soil, water, sunlight, and a little bit of fertilizer here and there.

I'm certain that budget is a problem that a lot of people come across, and I'm probably not the only person who wants to run a grow without the extra lighting and machinery.

Basically, I'm wondering how bad do you all think it would affect the grow, and if the yield would even be worth it.

Feel free to leave some tips regarding basic plant growing if you'd like, and thank you in advance.

2. If you want to see some fun, amazing, inexpensive methods of starting and growing in a small area, you are most welcome to visit THE INFAMOUS SOLO CUP CHALLENGE 5 thread and previous Solo Challenge threads in the Micro Grow portion of the forum.

The major reason for light leak concern is not so much light escaping from your grow area, but light from outside the grow area interrupting a dark cycle. Interrupting dark cycles can interfere with both vegetative and flowering growth by throwing off a plants hormonal balance.

Direct sunlight is not so direct inside of a house.  Your plants will only be exposed to direct sunlight for a few hours at most and then remain in the shadow. Your plants will be stretching too much to capture light energy.

You can start off with inexpensive CFLs like this this:
    [​IMG]
    And use inexpensive shop lamps like this:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, there is more to budget growing, but take a look at the Solo Cup challenge threads to see what can be done in a small area on a minimal budget.

3. If you use a room made completely of windows, like oh say a greenhouse, then sunlight works great. Window grows involving sticking a plant next to the window inside your house almost always turn out to be what I would consider a dismal failure and waste of time. If you want to spend three months on a stretched plant that gives you a couple of grams then go for it, otherwise a different plan may be in order.

4. I agree with the above post. Go ahead and try it, but I'm afraid it will be a fruitless exercise. Get the cfl's. Good luck

5. Green house will work great.just utilizing a few windows will not do the trick. The plant never gets the proper lighting regardless weather you have a north and south facing window etc etc. And the room probably does not have adequate ventilation coming into and out of the room.and you being you being your own timer as to when to allow light into the room and when to to make it dark does not usually go to well.. be much easier and a better use of you time to make a small grow room area..just my thoughts