Indoor Breeding Project

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Shnicken, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Decided I'm sick of buying seeds and I have enough genetics to play with right now that it is time to start producing some seeds of my own.

I was originally just going to isolate a male and collect pollen for selective pollination, but have decided due to laziness and the fact I have enough extra stuff that I'm just going to do an open pollination run.

I have startered these genetics for the project:

Ethos Lilac Diesel - reg x2
    Ethos Lilac Cookies - reg x2
    Ethos Fruity Pebbles - reg x2
    Ethos Candy Store - fem x2
    Seed Stockers Sherbet - fem x1
    B.F. Strawberry Lemonade - fem x1
    B.F. Tropicana Banana - fem x2

The plan is to pick one male from the regular seed strains (don't care which of the 3 it is) and throw him into a 2x4 with a female from each strain and let them open pollinate.

The tent for this project will be on a different level of my home, far away from my main grow area. The vents will be covered with hepa filter just to help avoid any escaping pollen.

Once pollination has occurred I will open the tent, mist everything down and pull the male out to dispose of him and leave the ladies to flower and produce seeds.

My biggest concern is accidentally pollinating girls in my other room, but I think if I'm good about misting and washing myself/clothes after dealing with this tent everything should be fine.

Let me know your thoughts and opinions, if all goes well I may have a few extra seeds to share around.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Be careful not to over do the pollinating! I would isolate the male until he is freely releasing pollen. Then I would cut the top flower and give it ONE (1) good shake over the plants you want to pollinate. You WILL get a lifetimes worth of seeds. Believe me. I learned the hard way and ruined about 3 lbs of bud for smoking. But I got about a pound of seeds. And lots of them were immature.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I have open pollinated once before so I know what you mean about destroying the buds. I have 2 separate tents for flowering my actual buds so I'm not at all concerned with saving the bud in any way, the sole purpose of this project will be to create as many seeds/crosses as possible out of one run. Any usable bud left over after picking out my pounds of seeds will just go towards a batch of coconut oil for goodies.

Plus extra seeds just means I will have plenty to give away if any of my fellow blades are in need/want.

Super excited to try these Ethos genetics, and hoping for a Lilac Diesel male as it is one of their true breeder lines.

20210120_104532.jpg 20210120_104547.jpg 20210120_104557.jpg 20210120_104617.jpg 20210120_104625.jpg 20210120_104641.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. I’m tagging along. Love breeding projects. Looks like you’ll be up to your knees in seeds. Hopefully you’ll hit the lottery on your male as well.

Dave? No, Daves not here man!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Thanks mate hoping all goes well, decided to add 2x BF Purple Punch fem and 1 each of BF Wedding Cake and Tangerine Dream both femmed.

The main goal is to get 1 male for the 2x4 and 4 good females for the 10gallon pots in the 40x40". Whatever females are left over will go in the 2x4 with the male to make me seeds.

Knowing my luck all 6 reg seeds will come out female and I'll be starting more, while trying to keep the girls small to wait for a boy.

I'll try to keep things updated, but as of right now I have the 2 purple punch already sprouted and in their 2 gallon pots. They were started early for a different project I was going to do, but are now going to be a part of this instead. The other 14 seeds are soaking and about to get moved to peat pellets for sprouting.

I will veg all 16x 2 gallon pots in my 40x40" for now under 2x 240w qb's and once they start to get crowded I will fire up the 2x4 for some extra room.

Will post up some pics as soon as I have everything in place.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tent looks so weird to me with all these tiny 2 gallon pots. Only have the one light on for now at 180w and 30" from the babies. Not much to look at right now, but definitely the start to something.

The two seedlings are the femmed Purple Punch I started before. Curious to see who will be the first up of the others.

20210120_191946.jpg 20210120_191958.jpg 20210120_192003.jpg 20210120_192052.jpg 20210120_192103.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Your gonna wanna flower the girls a week early so they can bud up before pollination. Once your good and ashy from the pollen id let the seeded plants go long to ensure mature seeds. Goodluck and if you do pollinate the others its cool worth it in my opinon.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks for the advice, think I will isolate the male in the 2x4' under 18/6 and flip the girls to flower in the 40"×40" about a week or two before I throw them in with the male and flip the 2x4' to 12/12.

Once I see the male dropping a heavy dose pollen and the girls have enough bud sites, I will give him a good shake and let that sit over night.

Then I will remove the male and dispose of him (might stash and freeze a little pollen for backcrosses first). Next I will mist everything down inside the tent aside from the qb of course.

Throughout the process I will be extra cautious not to spread any pollen to my flowering room, but even if I get a few seeds in those buds it won't be the end of the world.

Oh yeah and will have hepa filters covering the intake and exhaust on the 2x4' to hopefully help control pollen spreading.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Last night it looked like a Tropicana Banana and a Fruity Pebbles OG were on their way up so hoping to come home to a few seedlings today.

Also figured it was worth a note that the Fruity Pebbles OG is a pre-release from Ethos so you can't find the info on it, but I will post up what it is when I'm home.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Well came home and all of the Ethos are up besides the 2 Lilac Diesel and 1 Candy Store. You can see 2 of them about to be up though.

Other tray the only thing up so far is the 2 Tropicana Banana.

20210122_192722.jpg 20210122_192946.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Full crew is up

20210123_194430.jpg 20210123_194442.jpg 20210123_194550.jpg 20210123_194555.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. This is gonna be awesome ill be following along! Lol I too am attempting a breeding project this time. However im trying for a super controlled environment as I only have 2 viable tent spaces. Any tips for me would be appreciated, otherwise I'll just steal some of your techniques lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I'm no expert by any means, so this will be more trial and error than anything. On paper it all sounds like it should work though. Nice to have you along.

14. My Seed Stockers and Barney's Farm came from the Vault and the Ethos genetics came from North Atlantic Seedbank.

They are the only 2 I will buy from anymore. Vault has always kicked ass, but NASC is US based in Maine and I get my seeds on the West coast in 2-3 days. I would highly recommend giving them a look.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'll definitely check out nasb cause they're right next door! Thats why I always used dc always arrived in 2 days.
    But ill definitely check them out to fill out my own bank lol thank!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  16. No problem man, they always hook it up nice with the freebies as well.

17. #18 Shnicken, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Got all the babies into their two gallon pots. Fired up the second light as well. Just a matter of time now :smoke:

20210124_200812.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Realized I completely forgot to post this like I said, but better late then never.

20210125_230430.jpg

19. Always like to watch pollination projects in work! Definitely following along. Best vibes to you on the endeavor.

• Like Like x 1