Indoor and absolute first time.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Slammer, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Ok fellas and my lady friends as well, let's start from the beginning, 2x4 tent. 600w LED viparspectra.

I now the basics and probably not even all of those. I want to start with 2 plants, would there even be a hope for 3 in that tent size? mainly am looking on help with soil choice and nutrients. But ANNNY help is greatly appreciated. Ideas with pots to use? Thinking about using air pots. I'm starting from seeds so good ideas with those and best strains to use for first time grow, looking at some cookie kush.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I would grow 2 nice decent size plants in that tent.

Soil is probably going to come down to what you can get. Fox farm, happy frog, and roots organic are going to be the top choices. But realistically you could just get a plain soil mix with good drainage and add perlite and that would be good. Cactus mixes usally have good drainage but still always add perlite.

Since your looking into nutes you could also just use 50/50 coco and perlite mix

As far as nutes... Fox farm, roots orgainc, general hyponics are some of the many nutrient lines. What ever you get all you need is a "grow" and "bloom/flower" nutes.

For example earth jucie grow and eath juice bloom are great starter nutes and i used them when i started growing

Strains ... Just grow whatever you wanna smoke. Iv grown at least 20 different strains and not one has been more difficult then the other to grow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Only advice ill add at this stage is to get the tent up and running. Have it running for a few days and get the temps and airflow dialed in before adding plants. Try to be as neat and tidy as possible. As always The KISS principle works best.

• Like Like x 2
  4. 2 plants is all your light will handle. And yeah I think the fabric/air pots are easiest to maneuver around and makes it easy to monitor watering needs. Soil, I'm a newbie and I've had plenty of success with Miracle Grow's organic soil from Home Depot with perlite. I am using Remo nutrients (4 types/stages) and I'm pleased so far. I would imagine any organic soil, as long as you monitor ph and use some variety of nutrients then you'll be fine.

You'll be surprised how big they grow, know your space, and remember that they'll double in size from when you flip the switch to flowering cycle.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I use a 600w viparspectra for vegging, but my flower closet is about the size of your tent and I can fit 6 plants comfortably in it. I avoid fox farm products at all cost because of their ridiculous stance on their products being used for cannabis. I don't grow in soil, so I can't really help you with that, but for nutrients I am 100% sold on Elite Nutrients. If you shoot them an email they'll send you a free sample of their entire nutrient line that will last you an entire grow. Its great stuff and PGR free. 100% recommended.

As for pots grab any fabric pot you'd like. I like the vivosun fabric pots quite a bit.

I can tell you that I am running that 600w Viparspectra LED in a 3x3x5 tent and it needs active cooling for flowering. Since I'm using it for veg only I can get away with passive cooling, but if you plan on flowering in it you REALLY need to look into getting a good exhaust fan and carbon scrubber.

For your first grow please just keep it simple. The more complicated you make it the more likely you are to fail.

2017-02-25 15.35.15.jpg 2017-02-25 15.35.36.jpg 2017-02-25 15.41.07.jpg 2017-02-25 18.26.42.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 MickFoster, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Nutes.JPG Transplant 2 wks.JPG I would suggest 2 plants in a tent that size. Personally I prefer 70/30 coco/perlite mix but a good quality soil is good as well. For nutrients I suggest MaxiBloom (KISS) for the entire grow - I have been using it for years with never any problems. Some people will tell you not to use air-pots because of the difficulty watering them but I highly recommend them for outstanding root growth. Get the original air-pots - not the knock offs - the first two rows at the top do not have holes which makes it easier to water as opposed to the knock offs that have holes all the way to the top. Also - it's a good idea to put panty hose over the outside to keep fungus gnats from laying eggs in the side holes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Agreed, 2 in that space. Ideally with a 600 over each, but 1 over just two plants should work well enough. They will need plants of room to grow, a good rule of thumb is 1 plant per 2x2 space. You can cram more, but I've seen many times lower amounts of bigger plants out yielding a bunch of small plants.

We exclusively use smart pots for everything, and can't recommend them highly enough. We've gotten the same results in 5 gal smart pots as the traditional 7 gallon plastic pots. Heard a lot of good things about the air pots, but for the additional cost is just doesn't add the value and any noticeable difference over the fabric pots in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks so much to everyone and their help! I was on Grasscity for less than a day and have already had so much help. Now I may become the annoying newbie bc I will be asking a lot more questions.

9. Auto. BUT I don't know a whole lot about photoperiod. I know stronger plants usually I hear but takes longer. I could be wrong though. So advice will be great.

10. The Basics of Photoperiod vs Autoflowering Marijuana Strains<br />I found this interesting read<br /><br /><br /><b>Photoperiod Cannabis Strains</b><br /><br /><br /> * Will vegetate essentially indefinitely on anything between an 18/6 and 24/0 light cycle.<br /><br /><br /> * Can be cloned, one seed = unlimited plants.<br /><br /><br /> * Will flower once put into a 12/12 light cycle.<br /><br /><br /> * Usually will take longer to produce a usable yield (average 4 months).<br /><br /><br /> * Can produce a larger plant and therefore higher yield.<br /><br /><br /> * Will often produce a more potent bud (though that's changing now that auto-flowering genetics are becoming more refined).<br /><br /><br /> * Can take more abuse due to unlimited vegetation period.<br /><br /><br /> * Responds well to topping and super-cropping in the vegetative cycle.<br /><br /><br />Learn more about photoperiod strains<br /><br /><b>Autoflowering Cannabis Strains</b><br /><br /><br /> * Will vegetate for a limited amount of time before automatically going into flowering mode (each strain's vegetative time will be different).<br /><br /><br /> * Cannot be cloned (in the traditional sense), one seed = one plant.<br /><br /><br /> * Will flower automatically, regardless of light cycle.<br /><br /><br /> * Usually will produce usable yield sooner (some as soon as 2 months from seed germination, and usually around 3 months from seed).<br /><br /><br /> * Will usually produce a smaller plant and therefore limited yield.<br /><br /><br /> * Can't take much abuse due to limited growth time.<br /><br /><br /> * May not respond well to topping and super-cropping. (Learn more: Can you "top" auto-flowering strains?)<br /><br /><br /><b>Both Photoperiod and Autoflowering:</b><br /><br /><br /> * It its natural state, cannabis is an annual plant. This means that these plants grow from new seeds every year, and die at the end of the flowering process, ideally mating, creating and releasing seeds that will grow as the next generation.<br /><br /><br /> * Can be stressed and herm (grow both male and female parts) as a result of incorrect light cycle changes.<br /><br /><br /> * Seeds can generate male or female plants, unless the seeds are feminized.<br /><br /><br /> * Need approximately the same amount of nutrient care.<br /><br /><br /> * Can potentially be grown to produce the same size plants with similar yields.<br /><br /><br /> * Respond well to LST and other gentle training<br /><br /><br />Learn more about autoflowering strains<br /><br /><i>The in-depth differences...</i><br /><br /><b>[​IMG]Photoperiod cannabis is the 'industry' standard; it is the natural state of THC-potent cannabis strains.<br /><br />Cannabis sativa and cannabis indica will vegetate almost indefinitely on anything between an 18/6 and 24/0 light schedule, and will only enter full flowering mode when its lighting schedule is limited to 12/12.<br /><br />If planted outside, growing photoperiod cannabis is only viable "naturally" when planted at the beginning of the summer, naturally entering flowering mode at the end of the summer when the days become shorter.<br /><br />Outdoor naturally grown cannabis will be ready to harvest in the fall (specifics varying depending on location, as daylight availability depends on your latitude). Outdoor cannabis will not grow naturally any other time of year without supplemental lighting and darkness.<br /><br />Photoperiod cannabis may be easier to grow indoors for new growers because it can be abused in the vegetative state and have time to recover because it can be vegetated until the grower decides to change the light cycle to flowering.<br /><br />The flowering process is generally thought to be the most delicate time for the plant; so the utmost care should be given to a plant in its flowering cycle.<br /><br /><i>Note by Nebula: In some instances, photoperiod strains of cannabis may be easier to grow indoors if you are a new grower because you can give yourself as much time as you need in the vegetative stage. During this stage, cannabis plants are hardy and can bounce back from problems. Even if you make a lot of mistakes, you can still get big yields because you are in control of when the flowering stage begins, unlike with autoflowering strains. Once the flowering cycle is initiated, your plants are more "set" as far as their overall health and structure. Once a cannabis plant starts budding, there is basically a countdown until buds are ready to harvest (this amount of time is mostly based on the strain). Though the plant may have an initial last "stretch" of vegetative growth when the light cycle is first changed over, as the plant approaches harvest towards the end of the flowering stage, almost all growth halts except the development of bigger buds.</i><br /><br />Photoperiod cannabis can be cloned indefinitely. Cuts can be taken from photoperiod cannabis to create rooted clones of the plant at any stage, and can be vegetated into large plants before being put into (or back into) the flowering stage.<br /><br /></b>

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Totally plaigarised from Stiigy's post in The Vault Sour Livers thread.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. The right growing medium makes all the difference. If you want to use soil, try to find fox farms ocean forest. I'm on my second grow through with that soil and you literally don't need to add anything to it until flower. And even then, the only nutrients I add are biothrive bloom enhancer (organic) and a dash of cal-mag.

13. I would suggest photoperiod fems instead of auto because you have a lot more control over them regarding, topping, training, and size. Just my opinion for what it's worth. Good luck and welcome.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Well I know nothing about topping and training yet so prob need a plant that I can have more control over and tougher. I may just take your advice on that since it's first time and I know nothing. Lol

15. As far as soil goes, I love Fox Farm Ocean Forrest, it's got good drainage straight out the bag so I don't mix anything with it....as far as nutrients go, during the veg stage all I use is Alaska Fish Fertilizer for weeks 3-5....then when I switch over to flower I use Fox Farm Tiger Bloom, and a little bit of General Hydroponics Cal-Mag....best tip you will get is to keep it simple....DONT OVERWATER, that's very easy to do on ur first grow....ask questions, this is a great site to get invaluable information from....just plant them, give them the attention they require, and U will be rewarded in the end...good luck

16. Everything needed to know about topping is here; Uncle Ben's Topping Technique to Get 2 or 4 Main Colas . Well worth spending the time to read.

17. I shot the guys from Elite an email and I'm gonna grab a sample pack. I've seen great things about them. Also u said would last a whole grow, now was that meaning for just 1 plant? Cause I'm gonna be growing 2 and was just wondering if not a whole grow for both, how long would they last before I had to grab the big bundle.

18. Their sample pack lasted me an entire grow for 7 decent sized plants. I was also feeding another set of vegging plants during this time, so I had to get some more Nutrient A & B, but if I was just doing 4-8 plants from start to finish, their sample pack would have lasted the entire grow from seed to harvest. They send 500ml each of Nutrient A & B, and 250ml each of Resin, Root Tonic, and Root Igniter.

Batch Edit_2017-03-01 16.55.39-1.jpg

19. Good deal. Appreciate the help! Also, GREAT Looking girls!

• Like Like x 1