Individual scrogs/supports for DWCs

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Greengrower8, Oct 14, 2018.

1. In the past I have used one or two large scrogs over my many DWC buckets. Just made of pvc and garden netting stretched with zip ties. But as the plants grow though it, the individual buckets become very difficult to move or maneuver around cuz all the plants are connected to the same netting. I’m trying to figure out a good way to create supports for each DWC bucket instead of using one giant net.
    I’ve thought about using tomato cages and turning them upside down over each bucket. Or securing bamboo stakes to the outside of the buckets and stringing some sort of string around the stakes sticking up above the bucket.

Any one else do something like this? I’m looking for some ideas.

Thanks guys!!

2. There are people who use 4 bamboo stakes at each corner and place netting between. Some people also sell kits (even on wheels).

Couple pics attached how I do it. One plant, one tent. Once the plant is scrogged it stays there.
    DSCF1941.JPG DSCF1943.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wow. $75 a pop. That does look like the ultimate dwc scrog setup. Too pricy for me though. Perhaps some bamboo stakes and some netting or strings on each one would work.

4. I tried finding that picture of the bamboo... got a different one here:

5. You can make these.

C6E7FF90-4451-40C4-8761-4DE74EF1B96E.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. I build the screen structure onto my res lids.
    20181016_103715.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  7. Nice lookin bud bushes steak.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I’m gonna tape stakes to the outsides of the buckets and wrap twine around em.

9. #9 mytwhyt, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Here's how i've used the tomato cage.. it does need a few tweeks first. IMG_2854.JPG 1.JPG IMG_2861.JPG 2.JPG IMG_2857.JPG

The bucket next to the grow bucket is a reservoir... There's a simple mod that you can make that will let you circulate the water from the reservoir using only a simple air pump.. It will move about 5-6 gal an hour with a gravity return to the 5 gal reservoir..

• Like Like x 3
  10. Weld it together and sell them them at Walmart!

11. #11 mytwhyt, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Might as well post the mods i've done to circulate the water from a separate 5 gal bucket reservoir.. It's dead simple and will only cost a few bucks. It uses a GH pumping column and drip ring.. This is done by installing a standing water column to the grow bucket.. This water column is connected to the reservoir, but stands 2 inches higher than the set water level.. The water level in the pvc is the same level as the reservoir.. Here's where it gets real simple.. You put the GH drip ring and pumping column in the pvc... Pumping water out of the water column moves water from the reservoir.. Vola,,, Recirculating reservoir.. none of the added heat from an in the reservoir pump.. The water dripping from the ring should add DO, and keep the outside of the basket wet..
    edit: It's been so long ago that did this basket setup that i forgot that the barbs started out as 1/2'x4" cut off riser barbs.. Might as well add a link a thread that has a little more for WFs and bucket setups
    Bought from HD
    DWC Waterfarms
    Grow bucket
    2 1/2 male threaded 1/2 barb
    1 1/2" threaded coupling and washer for 1/2 barb return line from grow bucket
    1 90* 3/4 slip to 1/2 fml threaded for barb feed from reservoir
    Reservoir
    2 1/2 ml threaded barb for in and out for reservoir :hose washers work fine for the 1/2 fittings
    I use 1/2 pvc couplings for the threaded barbs on the inside
    A float valve controls the systems water level and feed back from the add back reservoir..
    You can use grommets and barb in a couple places..

IMG_2868.JPG 5.JPG IMG_2864.JPG 3.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. @ mytwhyt, but you can't expect to get super amounts of oxygen in the solution. I am going to try the 4" airstones with 12L/min capacity to see how this affects the grow. but I do like what you posted.

13. Myhap there lurks an air stone in the reservoir.... Everything will be recirculating at 5-6 gal an hour. I admit it's an assumption on my part that 125+ gals. a day, dripping at that rate, into a 5 gal bucket would add significant amounts of do... Maybe i'm just a bit optimistic about the amount..
    One thing about getting lids on and off, it's easy if you cut off all but 4 of the locking tabs, Leave the rubber in the lid and they still seal

14. That's a great idea putting them on the lid what size is your grow setup and the container size thanks I may do this for my 2x2 cabinet..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cabinet is 2x4

Buckets are 8gal EZ-stor buckets - idk if you could fit more than one in a 2x2... But a single plant scrog in that sq footage would be killer!

16. what is the material you used for the top grid?
    I like the tomato cage rig to get good height.

I have build something similar on my pots and but concrete reinforcing mesh, but that has a 6" sq grid so I double it to form smaller 3" squares.
    is that the green fencing material that you can bend with your fingers?