Increasing yield: Mounding/ Layering

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by clodhopper, Feb 17, 2011.

1. #1 clodhopper, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
    In some states, growers can grow a few plants legally and in other states, a few plants are just a misdemeanor. For those growers that are only growing a few plants, these methods of planting can nearly triple the normal yeild from a plant, so i thought i would share it.

All of this info is available from:
    "Secrets of Plant Propogation", Lewis Hill, Story Communications: Gardenway publishing. This is an excellent book for plant propogation/cloning/breeding and is a biblical document for avid gardeners.

MOUNDING: Mounding is the practice of pre growing a cannabis plant by about 45 days, topping it, and then once it has rebranched, burying the plant to 1/2 of its heighth, with ground level hitting at mid plant. The result is that each branch roots and each exposed branch becomes a quasi independent plant. Its still just one plant, but every branch acts and progresses somewhat independently.

LAYERING: Layering is similar in effect, except its a bit more preferrable with cannabis because it increases the distance between branches more so than mounding. With layering, the plant is pregrown for 45-60 days without topping. Once the plant is from 16" to 24" tall, dig an angled trench 6-8" deep,(the end with the rootball has to be deep enought to cover) and lay the plant down verticle in the ditch and while keeping the latteral branches pointing upwards, above the soil surface and toward the sky, and backfill the planting ditch. Just as with the mounding, the branches at each node will root making each branch a quasi independent plant.

Both of these methods require significant inner pruning around early june because the effect of both layering and mounding is that of planting 2or 3 plants in one planting hole. Much more fertilizer and moisture is required and an eye should be kept out for diesease or pest because there is a lot of vegetation as a result of these planting techniques.

I grow 4 plants of a strain called Armegedon each year using layering and the yeild is massive. I have seen plants planted using this method yield over 1600 grams of jar ready smoke. I have a buddy that averages 12 - 15 lbs of smoke from 5 plants using these methods.

Happy Harvest!!!

2. Can you provide some pictures? This sounds cool but I don't fully understand.

3. ^ Yes, and maybe a video or three further explaining it. Also, what about indoor growing? Any new methods to try in that department?

4. Great post clodhopper! +rep to you! I understand it completely but yeah some pictures would be nice

5. #5 clodhopper, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
    hi!

I have access to some pics from other forums and the book noted above has pages of diagrams but im not sure how to include them into the thread. I have a scanner but I dont know the processes to get them on here. I havent seen any threads with pics in them. I uploaded my avitar, but im not seeing any place for an album or gallery so im looking and learning. I will try to get some pic.

Maybe someone that is adept at uploading pics can pm me.

The book is 15$, and is very informative about cloning, transplanting, tissue cultures and every aspect of propogating plants with pics.