Increasing pot size to increase yeild question.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 1badbruce, Sep 19, 2012.

1. #1 1badbruce, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
    Evening GC,
    I veg. for 2 months & I'm thinking of changing out my 2 1/2 gal. Superoots Airpots to to 5 gal. airpots (approx. sizes).
    Will the increased yield compensate the increased cost of growing medium, nutes, pots etc.?
    I know exact figures are impossible to figure but some sort of approximation, 30% - 40%?
    I'm sure it's worth it, just trying to make final determination.
    Thanks & cheers folks:wave:

edit: Answer doesn't have to be Airpot specific, a guesstimate is fine.

2. Ive spent a good amount of time trying to figure this out my self. What I came to the conclusion of was that it doesnt really matter, yield is proportional to light size and as long as you meet a minimum pot size. I actually ended up flowering smaller cuttings but taking twice as many, it was easier to deal with 16 1.5 gallon pots rather than 4 10 gallon pots.

On the other hand if its outdoor your talking about then it would matter and make up the difference but really indoors your bottle neck is usually going to be size of light and heat

3. Not true. Obviously you need the right amount of light to meet your needs, but bigger pots = bigger roots = bigger plants = bigger colas.

Small pots/small buds.

j

4. 16 1 gallons are easier to handle than 4 10 gallons? easier to move around maybe, like Jerry said, bigger pots = bigger plants/ buds

5. Anything on a dolly moves easy;)

6. not down sets of stairs...

7. Very true....

8. I take my plants to the backyard (down a flight of stairs) to make sure I give em a heavy runoff watering, definitely easier moving my 2.5 gal pots than the big boys :/

I'd use my bathtub, but I already get plenty of plumbing problems there, not trying to make them worse

9. I'm totally different. I'm running organic soil in 15gal smart pot SIPs (30 gallons total on a dolly). No run off what so ever. Just fill from the bottom and the soil wicks up what it needs. Perfect moisture levels are constantly maintained. Simplest way I have ever grown.

10. I love the idea of SIPS, going to look more into it on my next grow

figured I'd just run soil for the simplicity to start, I haven't grown a damn thing since kindergarten. lol

11. Head over to the organics section or read Jerry's sticky "no bottles". Combine roll your own soil, no-till, and SIPs. It doesn't get any easier. I'm blown away I've only seen growth like this when I was running aeroponics. Now I just pour unchlorinated water into the res. No fucking around with pH or nutrient deficiencies.