Increased heart rate

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by troubled-one, Feb 24, 2005.

1. I have only smoked weed maybe a dozen times in my life, most of the times being within the past year. I usually got my stuff from a good friend of mine, but this time I got it from my cousin. I've read in a few places that weed increases your heart rate. Last night was a scary experience. I smoked one full bowl of the stuff then had a cigarette right after. It took a good five minuets for the effects to come, which was a bit unusual for me. But when they came, I felt much different than the other times I had smoked. The other times I had smoked, I only noticed my heart rate increase a very little bit, but this time it felt like my heart was going to explode. Then my whole body started to shake, something that has never happened before. It stayed like this for a little over two hours. I was scared the whole time because I had never had an experience like this one before. I have never felt my heart beat as fast as it did in my entire life. I will never again get weed from my cousin! I'll stick with my friend.

2. Yeah, the very first time I smoked I thought I wasn't going to wake up the next morning. My heart was beating really fast. I was scared to go to sleep really.

3. mabey u just got really accustomed to the weed u get from ur friend, and ur cousins was just a completely different kind. My heart sometimes feel like its gonna beat outta my chest but thats usually when im having a slight panic attack, already high finishing a J or bowl in my room with parents downstairs

4. Thanks guys. I'm glad I'm not the only one with an extremely fast heart rate while high. The stuff I got from my cousin looked different from the stuff that I always got from my friend. I guess I was just so used to smoking the stuff I got from my friend that my body didn't like the change. I don't know.

5. Sounds like bad weed to me.

Never had that happened, when i smoked i mellow out.

6. Same with me. When I smoked my friends stuff, I always felt very mellow and calm and relaxed. But when I smoked my cousins stuff, I was very scared and was afraid to fall asleep. My heart was beating extremely fast and my body started to shake. My cousin said it was good stuff, but I sure as hell didn't like it. I'll stick with my friends stuff from now on. Calm. Relaxed. Now that's a good high.

7. I would sya what you experienced is normal. Your heartrate will increase by 50%, theres in increase in pulse rateand blood pressure as well--depending on the amount to THC. For people who arent a chronic smoker, you may feel these symptoms twofold. Besides that, if you are at all anxious about what is happening, your heartrate etc may make you feel like your heart is going to burst out of your chest. Id say you may have had some killer smoke in your system!

8. yeah i started hyperventlating once and struggled to breath for a min or two..but that was because my heart rate was already up there from pills and im good at relaxing my self because i get panic and adrenaline rushes a lot..

9. its not that your heart rate was incredibly high...its that on weed your perception is fucked up and you become much more in tune to things like your heart beat so what seemed like fast beating was just a bit faster and no big deal you just need to realize that and it wont be so bad :)

10. maybe you drank too much caffeine. If I drink a coke and smoke my heart beats really fast and I get hyper/jittery..

11. I smoked the same stuff tonight and this experience was a hell of a lot better than my last one. I think what I did wrong last time was I didn't keep myself busy. I just sat on the couch and did nothing but worry that my heart was going to explode for over two hours. Tonight, after I smoked two bowls, instead of being lazy, I did things that needed to get done around the house and I never even noticed the rapid heartrate. It's just weird because I have smoked this stuff many times before and I have always just "laid around" while high and I have never had as bad of an experience as I had that night. I guess I just need to stay busy from now on but it's weird that I never had to before.

12. I had a similar experience once, one of my buddies (stoned) was operating for my group, you know packing bowls, making sure the bong kept moving. I was stoned out of my mind, and he just kept passing me new bowls, unthinking, I just kept smoking. I surmise that I just smoked too much because I felt like I had to take a crap, so I went to the restroom and commenced crapping when I started to overheat, started sweating, heart pounding, etc. I could tell I was too high, you know when it sounds like there is some droning sounds coming from everywhere. Well long story short, I sat outside for like 20 minutes to cool off, after that I was pretty sober, but it was kinda a scary experience.

13. It was probably a combination of inexperience with good pot and nicotine. I remember the first few times I smoked, it seemed like my heart was almost out of control. And cigarettes will intensify it, too. Next time you smoke pot, hold off on the cig until you see how it hits you. Also, know your limits. You're new to this substance and it can be easy to overdo it and get something that's too intense if you have an even lower than normal tolerance (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

14. Sounds like good weed to me...smoking thc does increase your heart rate. I thought at least the experienced smokers knew that. It's totally normal. And actually...the better the weed, the higher you get, the higher heart rate. And it's got nothing to do with your perception of your heart rate.

If I were you, I'd get some more of that weed and smoke a smaller bowl...see what happens...you'll probably notice that that weed is stronger than the weed you've tried before...

15. I'm thinking that's what it was. I should not have smoked a cig so quickly after finishing my bowl. I finished the bowl and I was surprised that after just a couple of minutes I didn't feel anything so I lit up a cig right after. Next time I'll wait a little longer like I've always done before.

16. good exercise for the heart the way i see it.. a joint a day keeps the doctor away..

17. wow... the same thing happened to me one night, and I know it wasn't the weed because I had smoked out of the same bag before with no adverse effects. But just like you said, a few minutes after I smoked I noticed my heart going really fast, probably over 150 bpm, so I drank some ice water and sat down, but soon after that I started shivering uncontrollably. I ended up just lying in bed for hours trying to will my muscles into stillness until it finally wore off... god that night was hell, haven't smoked since and I'm scared as hell to try it again

18. props to everyone!! im just glad im not alone, i thought i was a wuss when it came to weed, but its good to see alot of people get kinda sketchy about their heart rate.

Does anyone know if this can cause a heart attack? Im not the healthiest guy in the world, im 6' and 190 (not fat, but still i have like 0 muscle.. :)) but im 21 so thats not old by any means.

Awhile back i was smoking in my bathroom, and taking a bath at the same time (really relaxing). As soon as the weed kicked in my heart started going nuts, this really freaked me out so i figured i just ran the water too hot, so i drained like 1/2 of the water out and ran cold water. My heart still continued to beat like crazy, so i just said eff this im outta here. When i got up, i started to see white like i was going to pass out.. :( . not fun, i put on the simpsons dvd and forgot all about it.. :)

I've been meaning to get some exercise so I wouldn't have to worry about this crap when im high.

19. calm down. i remember getting hyper when i first started too. you're just new, or you're the 1 in a million who has heart problems already there and can't handle it. most likely the first one because i can relate to my first times.

20. thats the thing, i've been smoking since i was 18 off an on. im 21 now.. lol im still a light weight too. :rolleyes: