Increase speed or distance?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by TheDukeOfDream, Jul 2, 2012.

1. i'm trying to lose around 40-50lb but still gain muscle and trying to do it in 5 months so recently ive started working out every other day and doing cardio everyday. i want to know if u guys think i should be increasing my speed or distance over time while running, like which one will make me burn the most fat? also it doesnt look like running burns that many calories and elliptical burns a lot more, plus i get tired out much faster while running, which one is the best to do

i'm 6'9 btw

2. Increase both speed and distance. The faster you go, the more calories you'll burn per mile. The more miles you go the more calories you will burn per run.

But listen to your body and concentrate on smooth, pain-free form most of all and only go as far and fast as you can maintain good mechanics.

If running is making you get tired faster than the elliptical, running is probably burning more calories. Don't believe the charts, believe your instincts. Running is doing thousands of small hops plus fighting the wind resistance created by actually moving yourself forward, that's a lot more intense than the elliptical machine; moving your legs forward and backward while staying stationary.

3. i also was wondering this. and when your running should you go until u cant, take a break, and keep going or just stop altogether?

4. Run at a steady pace, and slowly increase your distance. Running is better by the way, because you have to hold your own body weight up.

5. Speed. If you run long distance you can kiss muscular gains good buy.

short and fast aka HIIT is king to all. Buying/constructing a dragging sled/prowler will accelerate progress very fast.

6. Yeah, you want the distance if you want to burn fat and lose weight. Just gotta work your way there gradually and be kind to your body. You'll be going faster and farther just as consequence of sticking with it.

It can take about a week for the benefits of a cardio workout to fully manifest; expect to be able to do more than you did 7-10 days ago, not more than you did your previous session.

7. Speed. If you can increase your speed it will also positively impact the distances you can run, but increasing distance won't help you be faster.

8. Alternating speeds in a run is actually more affective that just trying to increase speed. Jog for a certain distance, then sprint, then jog, then sprint...you can throw in a couple walks in there as well. This helps prevent your body from "adjusting" to the work out, so to speak. Different speeds will actually cause you to use different muscles, which causes a more thorough workout. Just trying to sprint as hard as you can, will shorten your overall workout because you will get burnt out faster. Alternating your speed will help to lengthen your runs which will be more beneficial. Also, on the treadmill I will do incline training and I will incorporate weights.

That's the very nature of cardio in general. This is why I will suggest supplementing cardio with strength training.