Improve Music Writing? (For Punk or Rock)

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by MrNewbMcMuffin, Nov 12, 2017.

1. I'm a god-awful writer. Anyone have any tips? I really want to get into music as a career.

2. If you want to be a millionaire musician, start out with two million. ;)

What kind of songs do you want to write?

3. Mostly horror punk sounding stuff and stuff that is against government and business corruption.

4. Who are your influences?
    Emulate them, but don’t copy them.
    Let them be you guide. Come up with similar ideas. Make them your own.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Aim for sincerity. Both in melody and lyrics, write from what is true for you. And build upon fundamental techniques and just keep at it.

Have any songs written/recorded?

Also "If you want to be a millionaire musician, start out with two million." that is very, very true lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Always carry a notebook for writing lyrics. I learned that the hard way.

I always carry at least a pocket note book to make sure I can write a verse I need for a song or that fits with the current project.

I normally start rough and as I write the guitar parts I change the lyrics a bit to sound more fluid and not just thoughts spat onto paper.

Currently spinning in my chair listening to Sorority Noise and trying to find the chord progression and the order of these verses/where the chorus should go. I have yet to write the full chorus lol. Just half.

If my company didn't over pay me I'd go buy an electric so I can practice more easily at night on the down low but I'm broke as a mfr

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don't write, play. Turn on a drum machine and let your fingers move across the fretboard without your brains interference.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Any tips on how to write a melody for a song ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1