Immortality

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by toasterica, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Based on humanity's progress so far it seems very likely we will have advances in medicine and technology within this century to sustain our bodies indefinitely.

Already, machines can keep the mechanical systems of the body alive. But it's really not the body or the brain that's alive. Life is only the perception of a consciousness that wants to have a good experience.

A good experience used to mean staying alive long enough to produce offspring but evolution and technology has made this all too easy which has in turn inflated our desires. These computers and everything are nice but has it really made us experience more happiness? We are surely more knowledgeable and perceptive than ever before but happiness is all relative.

What it all comes down to is love. Whatever it may be we naturally do what we love. With immortality, love would lose all its meaning.

We will be able to increase our lifespan in the near future but I think consciousness has a lifespan of its own and cannot be sustained. The mind will naturally move on at certain point.

In order for our minds to be sustained we would have to understand our minds completely which would require leaving our minds which is beyond impossible. No matter how intelligent we get this will not happen, because we are always trapped in our single, unique consciousness.

Some believe we will one day produce machines that will exceed our own intelligence. If this is true maybe they can understand our minds for us but I don't see this ever working since they would still be creations from our mind.

Basically what I'm saying is immortality can never be achieved because logically it makes no sense. I think we are destined to enhance our time not make it longer.

2. 5th dimension :smoke:

3. Why do you want to live forever?

Wouldn't you want to "hatch" out of your "egg"?

4. YO...Please pass the bong.

5. 5^th dimension? What is this blasphemy you speaketh of? Is it a paradigm shift in human consciousness or an interdimensional restructuring.

I don't understand half of a half of what I said. :D

When is our Matrix scheduled for it's firmware upgrade? V 5.01 ooh can't wait. What are the new features?

6. If it can detiorate, it's mortal. If it can't, then, well.

7. Turritopsis nutricula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Immortal jellyfish? chill as fuck.

Oh, and I think that if we were able to make ourselves immortal, it'd be the beginning to a slow demise of humans. It'd give us an unprecedented advantage in biological fitness. Which would in turn render us nearly impossible to get rid of, which in turn would completely disrupt the natural balance of all things natural.

8. Was gonna post that jellyfish up there.

I would love to be immortal, fuck that would be amazing. Just learn everything there is to know, travel the world forever, smoke all the best weed there ever was.

You'd see the world from a very different perspective, almost one of an outsider.

9. Well, in the case of the jellyfish. Being immortal, in no way, means that you cannot die. In fact, there would be no difference in how susceptible you were to death. It's being able to sustain homeostasis within yourself.

It works for the jellyfish because it's such a simple organism. For us to be biologically immortal, the process would be fuckin' complex.

10. i doubt true immortality is possible- as in living literally forever

but if it is i wouldn't be too worried about it- chances are i'll go mad after a couple billion years and perhaps think i'm a star and just float along peacefully. that sounds like a good way to end, pretend to be what created the elements needed to make up my body

but yeah i'm all for it, the first thing i would do is read as much as possible. read every book on earth, then go span the galaxy (after spending a couple thousands years inventing light speed and all that nice stuff) fighting monsters and teaching alien women to love

11. If humans found a way to become immortal you can count at least this guy out of taking that pill/whatever it may be.

12. Regarding what the blade above said, if you were given the opportunity to become immortal would you choose to be?

I, personally, would not want to be immortal.

13. Why the fuck not??

14. Because it's disrupting nature. We weren't meant to live forever. It'll throw everything out of whack.

15. Come back to me with scientific evidence that indeed the whack will be throw out.

16. Scientific evidence or not...fact is we WILL all die.

17. Well yeah, but if I had immortality and could live for thousands of years I sure as hell would. Eventually anyone would die even with immortality, assuming that you can still die and you're not invincible as well.

18. As long as I have a physical body, and I live in a material world, I do not want immortality, just a regular life span will do, thank you.

19. Physicality can be pretty incredible tbh, and immortality would be great, but I'd rather it on a plane of say like the 5th dimension, or whatever that consciousness rise stuff implies, and I'd wanna maintain my youth forever and never grow up past like 25. Would be cool. Expressing love with someone you have a very high mutual respect with is too beautiful to me, especially sexually.

20. [quote name='toasterica']
    What it all comes down to is love. Whatever it may be we naturally do what we love. With immortality, love would lose all its meaning.

We will be able to increase our lifespan in the near future but I think consciousness has a lifespan of its own and cannot be sustained. The mind will naturally move on at certain point.
    QUOTE]

^ truth