Imagination

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by YEM, Jan 30, 2009.

1. As far as reality and imagination, it is said that reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
    So, is it the imagination while dreaming that affects our reality?
    In other words, is it possible that we create the situations that we experience in our daily life through our dream world? Is there a connection?

2. Well, the connection is you, but beyond that it's personal.

3. If my dreams directly affected my reality I'd be a much happier person. :smoke:

I think it leaves a lot to the imagination in that reality doesn't have a lot of answers.

4. In my opinion, there is a certain kind of hidden destiny in life for all of us. Each person gets his/her own destiny. But those are kind of like guidelies, not rules or directions. Its a very thin thread that follows along the fabric of time :smoking:. We often deviate from that path alot, very greatly. This is our way. Our way to live our thread.:rolleyes:

As for dreams creating the future of each human being, its possible. And I'm just saying that cause I really don't know much about reality and especially the about the dream world. My idea kinda connects in a way too :D

5. The question remains of whether the conscious mind is actually in control, or whether the sub-conscious mind, is really the one in charge.

I like to play the percentages on that one.

Here's a cool song to smoke to, and think about it, I think the lyrics are very apropos to the subject.:smoking:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BeCQRs3-6I"]YouTube - Seen and Not Seen - Music Video[/ame]

6. #6 kinetic being, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
    What's the difference between reality and a dream?

How do you know the difference?

-----

Take this kiss upon the brow!
    And, in parting from you now,
    Thus much let me avow-
    You are not wrong, who deem
    That my days have been a dream;
    Yet if hope has flown away
    In a night, or in a day,
    In a vision, or in none,
    Is it therefore the less gone?
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
    Of a surf-tormented shore,
    And I hold within my hand
    Grains of the golden sand-
    How few! yet how they creep
    Through my fingers to the deep,
    While I weep- while I weep!
    O God! can I not grasp
    Them with a tighter clasp?
    O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?

Edgar Allan Poe

7. Just wondering forces there to be a difference. Crazy implicit limitations, huh?

8. I think, in my opinion,

"Is there a connection?"

My answer is, NO. But hear me out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's no real difference between reality and dream. The term 'reality vs dream' fools us in thinking that one is real and the other is not. But they're both real.

Does dream affect reality? Yes, it does. And it works both ways. The reality affects our dream.

So is there connection?

No.

They are not separated, so how can there be connection?

9. I see what you're saying. You can be not (dis)connected and yet still interconnected. :p

10. Is not the fear you experience in dreams the very same fear you experience in waking life?

11. Our dreams are a symbolic representation of our 'reality' psych.
    They combine people we know and places we've seen or been to...with our deepest emotions like hatred, fear, love, etc.

So no, I think you have it backwards.

12. How do you know reality isn't symbolic? How do you know symbolism isn't symbolic?

13. #13 Kush Lord, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2009
    in reality, we are all a part of this world....it isnt your own fantasy/imagination like a dream would be. We are governed by the laws of the universe and have real emotions and real death. We cant fly, teleport, and do all the crazy shit we do in dreams...

14. The only reality that exists to the human mind, is the reality it creates.

There is no seperation between imagination and reality. They are one and the same.

15. #15 bkadoctaj, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2009
    Yes! :p

16. Now why exactly is it that we can't do those things?

17. i meant literally flying like a bird, and teleporting into completely different scenerios..you know what i mean

18. A bird flies, but does not 'teleports' itself.

Teleporting to completely different scenario, is what we humans do all the time...

You're sitting down under a tree, thinking how deep in shit you're in, and at the moment, you feel like you're in living hell.

Then next moment, you realize how you can pull yourself out of the shit hole, and suddenly the hell you were in dissolves into heaven.

Something like that... I dunno...

I just feels like the scenarios we find ourselves in, has much to do with our thoughts and perception, rather than the physical reality...

19. Remember that seeing isn't always believing. Just because we physically can see what we call reality doesn't make imagination real.

20. Correctomundo.

I don't know what all this pish posh is about dreams being "real". One must elaborate what real means in that context.

Do you mean real as in literally taking place in some other parallel universe? And how do they affect reality?

If you want to change reality then practice Sigil Magick.