I'm shy but I like to sing

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by mal0, Jul 12, 2008.

1. So I'm generally a very shy, anxious, self-conscious person, so I don't show a lot of emotion when I'm in public. :( I'm 22 years old and I've been like that most of my life, but over the past year since I started smoking I've really come to realize how shitty it's made my life and have been working to change that and be more confident.

:bongin: Now, my favorite thing to do in the world right now to relax is just listen to music and sing along. I consider myself a good singer, though I've never had any kind of lessons and I didn't take choir in high school, actually I've never really sang in front of anybody, which is the problem. I know that some people that think they are good singers are actually bad singers, and I'm afraid to sing loudly in public. I copy other voices really well, but I'm struggling to find "my voice" I never think my voice sounds right unless I'm trying to copy someone else. I sing with a lot of emotion which is hard for me to do in public.

I don't really have anywhere to go just to be myself and sing as loud as I want. My neighbor's house is right beside my room and I have a roommate, neither of which I want to sing in front of. Basically I think I can sing really good when I'm completely by myself, but I'm too self-conscious about my voice and wonder what people are thinking if they hear me. :confused:

A couple of my favorite things to sing along to are
    Good - Better than Ezra
    Show me a Little Shame - Ben Harper
    Guitar - Cake <-- Cake is one of my favorite bands to sing to I can really sound like the guy
    Time of your life - Green Day
    The Joker - Steve Miller Band
    Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks
    If I just want to listen to something Beck - Midnight Vultures is my favorite album.
    EDIT: Oh, and I'm amazing at Fuck Her Gently by Tenacious D

:smoking: I'm not completely sure why I'm posting this, I guess I must be looking for advice, I'm really high so not being able to be myself really puts my mood down, but I'm too self-conscious to do what I want. I think being a singer in a band is definitely one of my dreams. :metal:

I'm sure I could look into meds or something but I'm poor with no health insurance right now haha. :eek:

Oh well, thanks if anyone actually reads this!

2. I used to be really shy in general too. Once I started smoking it became a lot easier to talk to people I think. Just makes it easier to connect with people.

start by singing the tenacious d song whenever, wherever. Your roommates will.. 1) think you're good if you're as good as you say you are.. and 2) think it's fucking hilarious.

good luck aye. :smoke:

3. Before you start looking into medical help I think you should really just look over yourself as a person

Look at what you like about yourself ... ex. your voice, and try to build some confidence off of your qualities

Everyone is a little self conscious to some degree. The trick is becoming comfortable in your own skin then you will begin feeling more comfortable in public and I think you will ultimately become healthier and happier in your life

EDIT: oh yeah....sing like nobody is listening, always....if you feel like singing, then sing :) if it makes you happy then DO IT

4. download Audacity and record yourself singing to a track...the mic in your computer will pick up our voice and iTunes at the same time no problem (or limewire, etc...)...then you can judge it yourself without worrying about others hearing at first...then maybe take videos and post them on youtube and get feedback.....your shyness may come from your aversion to having people who actually know you hear your voice, but if it's judged by random people, who cares?...it could really help you

if you dont have a camera...then do the thing with Audacity and just post sound clips here on the forum and we'll let you know what we think straight up