I'm making my own garden

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Cloud Rhinos, Apr 7, 2010.

1. In the backyard, I've dug up a hole roughly 5 feet by 10 feet and am gonna start growing my own food. I've decided to be counter-culture and live off of food that I supply myself with. If everything works out right, I'll be growing about a months worth of food for 40 bucks.

Here is where I'll chronicle my adventure. If anyone else has their own home-grown garden, any tips or tricks? I'm fairly new to this.

Regardless, I encourage everyone to start their own garden. I'm going to be growing just zucchinis and sunflowers right now. I can take the zucchini and turn it into bread loafs.

Here's the giant hole I dug. It's filled with water so I can make the soil level. I haven't put down the garden soil yet.

[​IMG]

2. Add a little seed in there from the herb :)

3. ...I have a 12' x 15' veg garden goin' :wave: Here's a pic of my seedlings I started indoors. 6 different kinds of tomatos, 3 different melons, peppers, and leak (stem onions)

...I've been saving used Fox Farm Ocean Forest for about a year now from MJ growing....I till'd my plot, covered the whole space with 6 inches or so of FFOF. (there was a shitload! LOL)

...I plan on using my organic tea to fertilize my whole garden, just as I do with MJ indoors. I'm curious how this is going to turn out! :smoke:

...if you'd like to see my tea mix, here's a copy and paste.

What you'll need:
    Seabird guano, bat guano, earth worm castings, kelp meal (or liquid seaweed), molessas, a bubble stone and bubble pump, a paint strainer. 5 gallon bucket.
    What to do:
    Get a couple of gallons of water from tap....let set on bubbles over night to dechlorinize it, then pH balance the water to 6.5....take a couple tablespoons of each (worm castings, seabird, bat, kelp, molessas) and put inside paint strainer and tie shut...hang the mix over the bubble stone to make movement/activity in the water....let set for 24-48 hours....put 2 cups of this per gallon to new dechlorinized pH balanced water, then water in once weekly.

...you'll want to back up off of the earthworm castings and the seabird guano in mid flower to eliminate nitrogen avalibility.
    ...the molessas and liquid seaweed are liquid , however, still use table spoon measurements.

Attached Files:

4. I'm trying to grow enough food to live on as well. I got some potatoes and tomatoes, some ice cream bananas, and purple sage. I also have a shitload of maniok root, and one artichoke plant

5. Dude. This is an awesome idea, seriously. We have an orange tree in my backyard and I love it.

6. ...I have a peach tree too! ....I love some peaches! :hello:

7. ya man my parents have 15 acres in the back and grow so many different things and they just live off that, no grocery store no going out and eating

8. where the hell you so i can chop it down and bring it to BC i never seen a orange tree! (
    if people think im joking about not seeing a orange tree i never have):eek:

9. ...Florida! I lived in Florida for 3 years, orange and grapefruit trees in everyother back yard...pretty cool.