Im fucking so angry right now about College courses, This makes NO SENSE

Discussion in 'General' started by yerp, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Ok, so im enrolling into college in January and im gonna study Criminal Justice. To my assumption, college is to get your degree in what you are going to be to make money the rest of your life (Many criminal justice courses & Psychology courses.) So when I finished high school I was so happy I finally was done with core subjects, spefically math, now I find out when you take the fucking placement test you have to take the core classes you are the weakest in? This is FUCKING RIDICILOUS!!! What was the 4 years of high school for then? Fuck that. I don't care about ANY class, even if they made me take a english and biology course, but I CANT DO MATH!!! Ahhh im hella stressed fuck. What do you college people have to put in on this? Do you guys have to take other BULLSHIT that isn't your major?

2. Its called core classes. Everyone in college does them unless you go into specialized courses

3. It's called Blow-My-Fucking-Head-Off
    Im so annoyed right now I have like an instant migraine, i'm pretty sure a disabled student might be better than me at math. It does not work in my head.

Fuck.

4. So you found out the unofficial name huh?

5. If this is how you react now when you don't wanna do something, you'll be shit out of luck when life actually happens.

6. universities want to mold "well-rounded" individuals, thats why you take everything from art appreciation to physics lab....

there is an alternative higher education institution called a "polytechnic"..this sort of school focuses pretty much only on what you wanna make your living at...although i dont know what is up with criminal justice and polys, you could do well to google a bit and see if that is right for you....good luck guy...:smoke:

7. Like when he attends the required drug classes?

I would pay to go there.

8. It's so that you can become a well-rounded individual. Everyone else who's gone to college has had to do this.

9. Hahahahha, yessir! :hello:

10. It sounds like you need to smoke a fatty and relax. College is all following the program and dealing with red tape. When I went as an older student I had to start with the beginning math class and go from there. It took me awhile to get through the math but once I was committed to getting through math no matter what I did it. In the end I learned to love Algebra! Believe it, all that hard work paid off.

11. Sorry to hear that you are frustrated, but it's just a part of going to college.
    I absolutely suck at math and hate it, and I fought my way through all the required math classes.
    Honestly, they will have you do the assessment to see what level of math you need, and then you will take a refresher course. You'll probably only need two or three math classes, and you can have an adviser help you choose the easiest and most relevant courses you need.
    It's not just math... it's also english, science, etc. High school is supposed to prepare you for the basics and get you ready to join the workforce or go to college or trade school. Trade schools/certificates prepare you to directly join the workforce, colleges are more "whole circle" based and you'll have to take a lot of classes you might consider redundant.
    I will say that you should consult an adviser and have a printout of the required credits of the degree, so you don't waste your time and money taking non-required credits.
    It sucks, but you really can't just take whatever classes you want and get a degree. It took me awhile to get that, so I have to offer that bit of advise.
    The good news is that most colleges offer free tutors and if you take your math classes first thing,you'll get them done and be able to enjoy everything else.

12. The brain learns by practice, so if you practice enough math you are BOUND to learn it.

13. yeah...and when your brain starts feeling like freshly fucked pussy from pushing it hard and long, you take a break and roll yourself an award....:smoke:

14. There just evil money takers. Fucking devils. This is fucked. I got A's and B's in every course in high school, and in math I pretty much cheated my way through, only questions I ever answered right were ones that had to do with grams. I could sit there with a biology book and study for 4 hours and go ace an exam, but math just is NOT my thing. A well rounded individual? No, they don't care about anything but money. Fuck.

15. Then why are you going?

16. #16 yerp, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
    To fuck the system raw dog and have a good paying job from the state. You can't beat them so minus well join them, plus I wanna be able to help teenage kids on probation and not be a dickhead like they treated me, im just gonna be like "Listen kid, I been where you are, im not here to ruin your life, just cut the bullshit" I got good social skills, I also plan on opening up a little psychiatrist thing on the side later in life. As I said before, I take my schooling seriously, but to my knowledge college was for getting your education for what you are going to become, in my case a probation officer, so I was planning on taking many criminal justice and psychology classes, but now I have to go fucking back to high school pretty much. In the end, i'll do it, if I want something no matter how hard it is i'll do it.

17. I used to suck at math. Now I'm brilliant.

Btw how can someone not know about the existence of core college classes? :confused:

18. Bosses. Im a boss. Bosses should not take core classes.

19. Yerp - don't take this the wrong way, but your world view is pretty far away from reality.

Colleges aren't money grubbing scum, most colleges are completely underfunded these days, and they're still on the cutting edge of scholarly research and the cornerstone of our education system. Most colleges have had the same curriculum for decades, and it works, or they would change it.

TO have a high-school kid come in and complain about General Ed classes, wow, we've never seen that before. But your GEs are there for a reason.

I have a challenge - why don't you go visit the dean of your department at your upcoming college and tell him that you don't think you need to do your GEs, and see what happens.

20. I agree that requiring certain courses for certain majors is pretty ridiculous, to say taking upper division calculus, and barely passing makes you a "well-rounded individual" is almost demeaning. All it does it teaches you how to work in subjects you never thought you would encounter, just like in the real world when there are unseen problems all the time. But todays education definitely is not the same as what generations before us took, my dad has his phd and even he says the amount of classes required now is outstanding, it's more of a marketing scheme by schools to keep you around for at least 4 years.