I'm finally comfortable with my "own" religion. My take on religion

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by NFloyd2357, Aug 19, 2008.

1. I have my own opinion when it comes to religion. I'm still very confused, and i've had varying ideas for as long as i can remember. I was raised christian, but never went to church. I wear a cross on my chest, my mother is jewish, and my father is catholic. I always beleived in god, and jesus, but as of late, i can't help but think how ridiculous organized religion is.

I think every religion slowly becomes obsolete. egyptians worshiped the sun god ra, and we think that is ridiculous of them. I think its crazy we still worship people; i really think religion was simply created as the first government/law. "here's all these rules, follow them, or God will punish you." people knew they couldn't control people by punishment, so they made up laws that they said was punishable from god condmening you to hell. I feel humans are slowly evolving from religion, especially with more and more kids not paying any attention to it. I feel some people still do need religion. They NEED to go to church on sunday to feel like a good person, they NEED to confess their sins, and have people tell them whats right and wrong.

myself?

I feel like I AM a good person. I am comfortable with myself, how i treat others, myself and the world. I don't need to follow a god, or a religion. I take many aspects from all religions that i find neccesary to making someone a good person, but i'm not religious. I follow the golden rule, beleive in karma, take the middle road, and do my best to not be materialistic. Overall, i know I'm a good person. I'm still unsure as to whether or not there is a God. I think there is a god, and i think he DID want there to be religion, for when we were more primitative; but we are constantly evolving. I know for a fact that when I die, if there is a God, that i will be allowed in to heaven. When i'm at the pearly gates, i know god isn't going to say "you didn't give money to the catholic church, your condemned to hell," or " you didn't confess your sins, you're going to hell." He's going to look at my life, and say "you were a good person; unlike most people, you didn't need religion. you didn't need a book, or a priest to tell you right vs wrong. You made mostly the right choices, and when you sinned, you knew what you did wrong, and thoroughly regretted it."

I'm sorry if i have offended anybody, but this is how i feel. I feel that I am my own God. There may be a god, but i don't feel i have to worship it, nor do i feel it wants me to worship it. Instead, i should treat others well, treat myself well, treat my home well, and be a good contributor to humanity. Im comfortable with myself, and I know deep down I am good, and for that, i don't need religion.

2. beautiful

rock on brother, and keep on livin with positivity from the inside

+rep

3. damn, couldnt have said it better myself. I too am at a similar crossroad in my life. Whaddya say we smoke a bowl to it?

4. + rep for your post dude

I feel the same way. I was raised Roman Catholic and my mom's side of the family strongly believes in organized religion (going to church, communion, the whole bit). I agree w/ NFloyd, I am a good person from what I have learned throughout my lifetime and am a strong believer in karma. A very strong believer. I have messed up occasionally, but nothing major and if I do cause problems I usually handle it in a way that pleases everyone. It makes me wonder why all people can't live this way.

Good thread.

5. thanks for the replies everyone. I've always had a similar opinion to this on religion, but tripping on shrooms the other night really made me a firm beleiver. In the back of my head, i always wondered "what if there really is a god, and i was supposed to be religious." I was always a bit weary, but it was never enough to make me religious. when i was shrooming, i realized, hell, there probably is a god, there has to be. If there is, i doubt he cares whether or not i went to church, confessed sins, or read the bible. why would he care?? I was a good person, right? theres no way in hell im going to be condemnded for eternity because i didn't attend church... god knows i was good, and god knows i always tried to do the right thing.

I kind of have this opinion that there is a universal god. I feel all the religions actually are "correct." I feel that some people NEED to strictly follow a religion, or else they won't be good people, or feel like good people. I think god created a bunch of different religions, because everybody's different... people can't all agree on the same thing. Religion helped people find the right way, regardless of which religion it was. I myself feel i have evolved from these religions. I know right vs wrong, and i know im a good person. Karma is real, for sure, and i try to keep everything in moderation, or harmony if you will. I do think there is a god, im still uncertain, but i think there is a god... i think if someone needs to read a book and get preached to in order to feel good, then go for it. I am personally comfortable with who i am, and where i am going; and i feel god will be happy with the person that i was. i wish more people would take this look at religion... because then we really would all get along

6. Good shit will happen to you , and of course bad shit will happen to you. Karma? HAHA. You can say "karma" will come back for you. There some bad shit that is planned out thats going to happen to me? No. Some bad shit will def. happen and you can blame it on "karma" if you want. I dont know if that makes any sense im really high..