Im Depressed

Discussion in 'Politics' started by guod, Jun 26, 2014.

1. First time on this topic, I was in a good mood, but now im really pissed off after just a few threads. Fuckin government! See ya.:angry:

2. Welcome to the club! Fuck the government!

3. Ehhh I don't like the majority of what governments do, but I don't really get depressed. I still have a pretty good life. Try not to take it too seriously.

4. Why do you dislike them?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

5. wrong section

just sayin

6. Actually, he seems to be in the right section.

7. I always end up feeling depressed or pissed after browsing the politics forum too. Not sure why I keep doing this to myself... I already know I'm going to end up pissed before I even click the section, but I do it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. More like, why do you like them. Wake up and smell the beer son!?

9. Cynicism is a disease. You just point out what it's robbing you of.

Enjoy your misery. :smoke:

10. If you care enough to get depressed over it, then you should care enough to take part in it and try to fix it.. Sitting around on a forum with a bunch of people who talk shit on the government just because it's the government isn't going to change a damn thing. If all the anti government people on this forum alone actually did something other than talk, we'd have an army moving towards the right direction.. but that takes effort, so you'll probably stay depressed.

11. This internet news business is turning many ppl into paralyzed Hamlets, surrendering agency and replacing it with frustration.

12. And how do you know we don't? Just because we don't go around bragging about our activism? I partake in real world activism against government quite a bit but I don't feel the need to keep you updated on my every event.

13. I'm curious, what is this real world activism against the government you take part in?

14. I work with and volunteer at a lot of libertarian conventions/rallies along with gun rights rallies here in Colorado as well as keeping up with local legislation and contacting my local officials about said legislation to urge them to vote the right way. A little bit of "cop blocking"also to name a few things. Just because I also like to bitch about the government here, where admittedly a lot of us only bitch, doesn't mean that's all I do. I just don't talk about my activism and no one ever asked before you.

15. A more specific example is a nullification conference that I volunteered at up in Denver that was an open house with a ton of good speakers that focused on collective and individual nullification of unjust local, state and federal laws. Basically teaching people how it is in their right to disobey unjust laws and be in open revolt to get rid of them or the swine that inacted them. I was also part of the grass roots movement that tossed senators giron and Morse out of office for there anti gun extremist votes on laws that were passed here last year.

I'm curious - do you volunteer at the policy-implication level? A lot of that seems like political engagement, which is a little distinct from civic engagement.

17. Not often, as I don't have many contacts for that around here just yet, but I'm always happy to if the opportunity presents itself.

I never singled you out.. It was more a vague comment that you lumped yourself into, but it's good you did cause now we all learned a lil more. In all honesty, you should post things you actually do cause the best way to inspire someone to take action is for them to see (read) others taking action. I almost never see anyone on here saying "This sucks, and this is what I am doing about it.." it's always "This sucks.."

Not to shit on this at all cause at least you have actions that back up your words, but the only real way to change is to actually take part. As in part of the government.. that's the only way it'll change without violence, from within. Rallies can raise awareness and whatnot, but the best way to see your visions is enact them yourself and inspire others to do the same. That's why I (still) always laughed at those Occupy movements, and give people shit on here about complaining, but not doing.. progress that way is on par with a dog chasing it's tail.

19. Yeah definitely! I'd really encourage it!

I do the political stuff too, but I often find it really frustrating and stressful. It sometimes makes me feel worse about my local government. It can sometimes makes me feel really fucking small and powerless.

The stuff that really makes me feel excited about my community is the civic stuff. I've done a lot and quite varied stuff, from community gardening, to disaster relief, to adult education, to addictions recovery, and (the obvious) charity fundraising. The tricky part about a lot of this stuff, is that they take on lots of volunteers, but to make yourself valuable to these groups, you need to commit serious time and labour. It's just part of the nature of volunteer workers; otherwise they lose a lot of skills training to attrition.

It's been some of the most rewarding experiences in my life. I've changed a lot of people's lives for the better, in a very real way. It's also heartbreaking sometimes, especially when working with vulnerable populations. It's also exhausting and sometimes personally expensive. I've made life long friends, and carved out some memories that I'm sure will be among some of my favourites when I look back on my life. Sometimes my professional life seems pointless by comparison, in fact.

Anyways, you get the idea. It's also hard for some people, for personal reasons, for financial reasons, for family reasons. I've personally had a lot of opportunities to become involved in these programs and organizations - don't think I'm trying to ride around on a high horse. I'm not special, I'm just one lucky person who got to discover this early in life.