I'm buying a safe

Discussion in 'General' started by ganja monster, Jan 3, 2013.

1. #1 ganja monster, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
    I want something relatively small but heavy enough that it can't be carried away easily. I was wondering if any of you blades might know of some good brands that won't run me broke? I'm willing to spend about $200.

EDIT: It will mainly be used to store cash, small valuables, sensitive documents, and maybe a pistol if space allows.

2. Bumped due to cluelessness and lack of response.

3. Do not get a sentrysafe

All I can say

4. Yeah I had one that I broke a key off in and was easily able to bust it open with a sledge hammer. I'm looking to get something pretty durable this time

5. I love my SentrySafe, what's wrong with it?! :{

6. [quote name='"Gimme Half"']

I love my SentrySafe, what's wrong with it?! :{[/quote]

Someone can pick one in like 3 seconds
    They are not very secure
    The part of a nail clipper used to clean underneath your nails is like another key for a sentry.

7. Why you keepin the piece in the safe hard to get to

8. I used to have a Sentry Safe.
    It was a piece of shit, so the lock broke and wouldn't open. All of my fucking valuables were locked inside.

Luckily it was a piece of shit, so just like ganja monster said I was able to hit it a few times with a sledge hammer and it opened right up.

9. Honestly instead of buying a new safe, I'd keep an eye out on your local Craigslist for a good, old school safe, like 60s/70s era. The kind that restaurants have. The 1,000 lb iron/steel safes. You'll need a bunch of buddies, a truck, and a ramp, to get it in your place. But once it's there, that shit isn't going anywhere. Brand isn't important because those old safes are meant to last.

They're definitely not impossible to break into. But robbers are looking for a quick grab and go. Robbers want to get in and out quickly; they don't want to risk being interrupted. The vast majority will not even try to crack a safe in a residence. If they can't walk out with it, they're not taking it.

To be frank, any kind of safe that you could possibly lift by yourself, or even with one friend is a poor choice, unless you're planning on bolting it to the floor. It doesn't matter how good the locking mechanism is if the thief can literally pick it up and walk out with it. That's why I'm a fan of the old school, 1,000 lb safes.

10. Bingo. I like this idea. I haven't found one just yet but I'm keeping my eyes open on Craigslist and eBay. They just don't make em like they used to man.