Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I'm addicted..

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by GillyTHEkid, Jul 24, 2012.

1. #21 KeepTheCycle, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
    Us Stoners dont like to admit weed has bad things about it, one of those happens to be habit forming potential. Usually when someone comes out and points out a flaw this entire community gets defense and hostile. Instead of providing proof it isnt addictive their simple minds just resort to personal attacks and arguing. I like to call it Uneducated Stoner Syndrome. Oh and the ones that are educated are just educated enough to pull up some bs study from like LEGALIZEWEED420.COM lol. Like Granny Storm Crows for example is FILLED with non-reliable sources and studies. Not that I dont like her in fact I love the ladys posts she puts a ton of work into them. This is turning into a rant instead of a reply but yeah

2. No. Stop trying to use that argument as a justification. I dont lose sleep when I cant play Xbox on a trip. Addiction is the perfect word for this I'm all for rationalization, but this isnt the right situation for it.

3. So that explains why I'm not hungry at all. I had to quit for about 2 weeks for a drug test, and I still haven't smoked, and I skipped dinner last night, breakfast this morning, and almost missed lunch. I'm also a bit stressed, but I think that's something else.

4. Yep. It'll get better soon though.

5. no such thing as addicted to weed X)

6. #26 shaddytheman, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
    You don't have to smoke everyday dude, get yourself a bowl or water pipe and learn how to conserve and use self-control.

Also learn how to save some money to support your financial situation, do you have a job? If you do have a job then put money towards your errands and money towards pleasure like Marijuana, etc.

7. I remember back in high school, with no job, having to scavenge around for anything to get me high like smoking stems and resin..

Good times....

Well not really since I can smoke as much weed as I want now since I have a job. Woohoo maturity! :hello:

This isn't a jab at the OP though, just brought back memories.

8. Trying? That's my opinion on the matter, it's one that's shared by many.

I don't lose sleep when I can't smoke weed, I don't feel shitty, cause I don't overuse it. When I do overuse it, I feel shitty. If you played xbox the whole day for weeks months years you'd feel like shit when you stopped.

If you want to term it addiction that's fine, but it doesn't really line up with the context of the how the word is used in communication within our society.

9. Weed isn't the least addictive out of all "unmentionables"

Good post otherwise

10. I want to clarify something.. when I posted "Lol..." it was not because he said he was addicted to weed. It was just the way he sounded, like a very young person getting ready to go back to school from summer.

Yes, the majority of this community refuses to believe you can get addicted.. but the reality is that you can. In my opinion, you are one weak one minded individual if you allow yourself to become addicted to marijuana. Also, if you become addicted to weed.. I hope you never touch another drug in your life or you are royally FUCKED.

11. A substance dependent person isn't a weak minded person. Addiction isn't a choice and it can happen to anyone.

12. Mental addiction is most certainly a choice imo.

Would I go as far as to call them weak minded? Probably not, but it's definitely not something as hard to quit as if you were physically dependent.

13. Addiction is something we can't really fully understand. Mental addiction could be caused by many things. A lack of self-control, apathy, and choice are just some of them. Not to mention some people just have addictive personalities.

14. What? I'm a moderate marijuana user about 2 times a day that gives me about 4 hours total of being stoned and about 30 hours during the week. In no way am I overusing it, so i dont know what youre talking bout. But I can tell you that when I dont smoke twice a day I lose sleep that night and cant eat. Those are my special set of withdrawals for marijuana.

If you quit playing xbox you wouldnt lose your appetite that ridiculous to say and also it doesnt take years for an addiction to form just so you know.

It doesnt line up with how our society views it? Ya neither does marijuana bud. But the fact of the matter is IT IS AND ADDICTION the sooner you understand that and ADMIT IT the sooner you'll stop looking like a fool.

"Addiction is the continued use of a mood altering substance or behaviour despite adverse dependency consequences,[1] or a neurological impairment leading to such behaviors.[2]
    Addictions can include, but are not limited to, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, exercise abuse, and gambling. Classic hallmarks of addiction include: impaired control over substances/behavior, preoccupation with substance/behavior, continued use despite consequences, and denial.[3] Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward), coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs).[4] Physiological dependence occurs when the body has to adjust to the substance by incorporating the substance into its 'normal' functioning.[5] This state creates the conditions of tolerance and withdrawal. Tolerance is the process by which the body continually adapts to the substance and requires increasingly larger amounts to achieve the original effects. Withdrawal refers to physical and psychological symptoms people experience when reducing or discontinuing a substance the body had become dependent on. Symptoms of withdrawal generally include but are not limited to anxiety, irritability, intense cravings for the substance, nausea, hallucinations, headaches, cold sweats, and tremors."

"Evidence for cannabis dependence comes from a number of sources including epidemiological surveys,[5][6][7][8] studies of long-term users,[9][10] clinical trials of people seeking treatment,[11][12][13] controlled experiments on withdrawal and tolerance [14][15][16] and laboratory studies on cannabis brain mechanisms.[17] Budney et al. state that "clinical and epidemiological studies indicate that cannabis dependence is a relatively common phenomenon associated with significant psychosocial abnormality. Basic research has identified a neurobiological system specific to the actions of cannabinoids. Human and non-human studies have demonstrated a valid withdrawal syndrome that is relatively common among marijuana users".[18] In addition, clinical trials evaluating treatments for cannabis dependence indicate that, among other substance dependencies, cannabis dependency is responsive to intervention.[18]"

15. Dude, the only time you'll ever get addicted to marijuana is when you have an addictive personality to begin with.

I've never sold my personal belongings because I needed a fix of Mary Jane. I've never sucked dick for weed. And I've never tweaked out because I didn't get a daily dosage of ganja.

Case closed. The reefer is not addictive... Have a nice day.

16. #37 cball, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
  17. I don't really see those as withdrawals, its just that people who use it to sleep or to help themself eat will find it harder to do those things for a while without the use of weed, because they are used to using it to aid them in sleep/appetite. Not neccesarily withdrawals.

18. quotes are not worth shit if you can't reference them...

as I posted in another thread;

Habit (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    a habit is not an addiction.

So...stop confusing the noobs with misinformation...or is that your job?

19. I've never got that whole "alcoholism is an illness" thing. If you drink a lot everyday, its likely that you will become an alcoholic, especially if you use it as an escape. People are well informed about the dangers, yet they always seem to be looking for an excuse such as "its an illness" or "it is mary janes fault, she led me to this drug". I think addiction is a choice, because it means you repeatedly chose to take a dangerous substance over and over again until you had no choice.