If you were on a space ship, and froze yourself....

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by llockhart86, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Aliens existing somewhere in the Universe and aliens visiting us via spaceships are two COMPLETELY different things. Are there aliens?...well...exactly how unique is the history of the earth, taking into consideration every meteor impact, every earthquake, every other random or reoccuring happening in it's billion some odd year history? How many of those events were ESSENTIAL to us being here? My gut feeling says there are aliens out there, but my gut doesn't really amount to much. Are they visiting us in spaceships? I don't know...do you? How sure are you? I guess I'm on the fence on that one as well. These are probably questions worth probing, either way.

Believe me, I hope I'm around if and when we discover life elsewhere, intelligent or not.

2. Sometimes when people open their mouths they don't fully think about what should come out of them, they sort of just vomit up the most random shit.

<O:p</O:pOkay, think of the chances that human being even exist at all. The odds and the miracle of life boggles even the soundest of men, now think about a planet somewhere in all this dark matter where conditions where perfect for life to begin, and presumably evolve to a point where their technology allows them the means to travel through space, and in all their travels through the incalculable miles they choose to come here and assume stereotypical form? (Whew that was a mouthful.) Any agency advanced enough to travel through the harsh conditions of space would probably conclude we are far too primitive to be contacted. Most likely they'd hide out and observe us from a distance, conclude we're too violent to have meaningful relationship with, and book back into the sea of stars to look for intelligent life.

<O:p</O:pWe want to believe we're not alone in this thing called the universe, and we're not because we have each other. Granted, this fact may not be as fantastical and cool as fat headed, bug eyed, green little aliens but hey, we're all we got. I'll definitely wager on the human factor before I lay down all my hopes on something that isn't likely to enhance my life in the slightest. So what if there are aliens, we'd still have to pay our bills and get along with each other.

<O:p</O:pThere are plenty of human beings we don't know here on planet earth, maybe we should start focusing on them?

<O:p</O:pStay green.

3. ok say you do it... you wake up 500 years later and find nothing but empty uninhabital planets.. what do you do then? freeze yourself and come back?

4. http://www.ufoevidence.org/topics/ProjectBlueBook.htm

I googled it man....its right there. Oh, and the site DOES say UFOEvidence....so , ill be expecting some kinda response like " yeah, and all that is crap ". I know how skeptics are, and i know how believers are....even though i got some sort of evidence of numbers like you wanted..it should still be crap in your eyes.

and that archeologists finding a slab of graffiti...thats under the assumption we know nothing about what went on on earth during this time.....to 2000's. So, is that what your saying...you think the human race wont know what the human race was doing during the year 2000? what did we do, nuke ourselves?

And i hope you dont believe in God...or the Christian God. Cuz then you would be just another one of those guys that looks at the bible, and picks and chooses what is real and what isnt....believe what you want to believe.

If you dont, then, i just have to say, the bible isnt the only place where ufo's are talked about....it isnt the only religion...

but im done with you...cuz we just dont agree. Thing is, i have no proof they exist...you have no proof they dont. were both right,

5. if you wanted to. haha. i guess thats all up to you. you could come back...but 1000 years would have passed on earth.

i heard something about the speed of light...if you went 99 percent the speed of light, away from earth, for 15 days, then came back at the same speed, 15 days...something like 1000 years would have passed on earth.

that was during a sermon though...and the preacher was talking about how God was light...and thats why hes around us all the time. its about the time i fell asleep. you know, once he got off science and back on god.

6. super volcano?...meteor?...ice age?...hell, who knows (I'm not really taking sides here :p)

7. Well yeah, natural disaster could strike. sure. But, the stuff we dig for today is stuff that just happened sort of. Not stuff that has survived a natural disaster....the only thing that has survived those conditions are fossils right? i dont think a slab of graffiti could withstand an ice age, or meteor, or valcano....i could be wrong.

and, not to mention , if a natural disaster did strike...the time that would take for life, intelligent life, that can dig for old stuff to emerge....anything left over would be gone...be part of the earth...

8. What's "right there?"

Well first you've got to give me something to crap on. So far you've just pointed me to a web page and said, "See?!" Sorry, I need some actual information. Like, maybe you could quote one little relevant sentence from that site?

What numbers? All I see is a link.

lol...What the hell are you babbling about? :D No really, I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Are you saying future humans won't find perplexing artifacts of today's humans? Surely that's not what you're saying?

Perish the thought.

Sorry. I'm smarter than that.

Right. OK. Please, we're all ears! We're sooooo excited to hear what the mythological fantasies used to pacify the proletariat of the world have to say about beings coming to visit us from other star systems.

We "just don't agree?" So far it's not a question of agreement; it's just a simple question of who's right and who's wrong.

I'm not even asking for proof. Just a single shred of plausible evidence would be great. But since you can't even provide THAT, I'm not sure what your next step should be. Non-prophet status maybe? :D

No, you're wrong again. See, it's about context.

In the context of this discussion, we're not both right. Just as in this same context, I can't assert the existence of unicorns without being reasonably expected to support my claims with...something. Know what I'm saying?

Aliens? No. Natural phenomena, experimental aircraft, and lies. That covers most of it, right? What's left? Enlighten us!

9. "Just happened sort of?" What?

LOL...yeah, you could be wrong.

If you stay in school, you might eventually learn about Pompeii.

I'm confident that if you take the time to really investigate UFOs for yourself, you'll find that there's no evidence we've ever been visited. You'll find that the only conspiracies surrounding UFOs are mostly benign and concerned primarily with getting your money out of your wallet. Which is fine. Everybody needs a hobby, right?

10. alright. Im not going to dig in the website to pull out some information that you think is nothing anyways. that would be a waste of time. if you were interested in the numbers, you would click the link. yes, your right, there is no information backing up my theory on THIS website....but the link....its a LINK , you click it, it takes you to a different website...and you can see what i was talking about...there. just click the link. its a hard concept. i know.

"Are you saying future humans won't find perplexing artifacts of today's humans? Surely that's not what you're saying?" - No...Im saying...the artifacts wont be perplexing.....why would we be perplexed be an artifact , when we already knew what it was and where it came from?

"Right. OK. Please, we're all ears! We're sooooo excited to hear what the mythological fantasies used to pacify the proletariat of the world have to say about beings coming to visit us from other star systems." DUDE, you have no proof that your beliefs are even correct. See man...your the same as me. You already believe you know what religion was all about, and youve come to a conclusion that all religion is mythological fantasies......which is a guess. Show me, 100 percent proof, that your correct by saying that. But dont just put up a link...i want quotes, numbers, sources....write an essay...cuz links arent enough...i cant just click it and find out for myself, i need you to type it all out.

'We "just don't agree?" So far it's not a question of agreement; it's just a simple question of who's right and who's wrong.' - no its not man. Im giving you my beliefs of what life is, and your giving me yours. tell me how thats a matter of right and wrong...and if it is, show me how one side can prove the other wrong. without opinions...and theorys. dude, its a fuckin debate...over beliefs. And your turning it into, im a completely wrong idiot...when you give a prime example that you just believe in something different....
    "Right. OK. Please, we're all ears! We're sooooo excited to hear what the mythological fantasies used to pacify the proletariat of the world have to say about beings coming to visit us from other star systems."....you believe in evolution then or something? I dont know what your actual outlook on life is, but it seems to not be religion or other life.

I'm not even asking for proof. Just a single shred of plausible evidence would be great. But since you can't even provide THAT, I'm not sure what your next step should be. Non-prophet status maybe?
    There is no proof man, how am i supposed to prove that aliens exist? Better question...How can you prove that they dont? You cant! Thats the whole point, noone can prove what life is all about. Thats why we are bickering about it right now! How can you ask for proof, when we are talking about LIFE.

And sure, your opinion can be, lies, natural phenom, and experimental aircrafts...but thats what it is. an opinion. You cant say that every single ufo encounter is a lie....you have no proof that its a lie...what you have is, people saying its real, and people saying it isnt....and just because you cant see how other people would find it real....doesnt mean there is no possibility that it is. you keep asking for proof, but you have none. and you say that no, im wrong, and your right...because of the context. Just because your able to word things better and explain your position better, doesnt mean im wrong.

Ill admit, sometimes, i cant explain myself correctly at all, and i say things, that really dont mean what i meant them to mean. whatever, its a personal problem that i try to work on, and sometimes it makes me look like i dont know what im talking about, when, i actually do.

Example : Well yeah, natural disaster could strike. sure. But, the stuff we dig for today is stuff that just happened sort of.

What i meant to say was. The artifacts that we pull up from the ground...like, things us humans made....all came after any natural disasters that would wipe the globe out as a whole. I dont know of any natural disasters that happened, that effected the whole globe drastically, like an ice age...or meteor....that left artifacts made by men before hand. Cuz i dont think there has been a natural disaster of that size, since before man became intelligent. There are natural disasters that wipe out countrys, or islands...but that wouldnt effect the world as a whole. See, its all about the technological advancements that im talking about. When we get to a point where everyone is connected to the net through their wristwatch or car...when the world is on some digital highway always on and moving....we wont need to dig up artifacts...to learn about the year 2000 anyways. i cant say we wont dig up artifacts that have to do with all the time before now...but who knows.

and if a natural disaster were to strike...after we became technologically advanced...and it wiped us out to the point where, 2 thousand years from now we are at a primitive stage again...i dont think any artifacts would be left behind.

And i know about pompeii. Dude, see, again, you just think im some ill informed idiot...and apartently, you think im in school....and apartently you think i havent reached sophmore year in high school or something man...i learned about pompeii years ago. wtf are you talking about? anyways, pompeii, thats not a good example, because even if it were to erupt again, today, it wouldnt take out the entire world. It wouldnt end the information highway, which is the net. And we wouldnt forget it happened, and then rediscover it thousands of years later....we would go in after it got calm..and see what happened. pompeii is a bad example. A meteor hitting earth would be a bit better of an example. Like this, Oh, be prepared...its going to be a link...im not going to quote from the site. I know, still a hard concept...but if you do click on this link, it will show you the information i intended for you to read...

http://www.rotten.com/library/history/nature/natural-disasters/tunguska/

And to wrap it all up. Dont assume i havent researched the ufo phenom....i have. and i agree with most of the world that 98 percent of all ufo and alien sightings are outright fakes...complete crap. crop circles are crap. blah blah blah, but its the 2 percent that is unexplained by top scientists and such ( i guess i dont know what their exact proffession is called, sorry...) that make me optimistic.

and in the end, thats all it is. Im optimistic....

and im not sure how they suck money out of my wallet. Ive never given a dime to anything having to do with aliens. I know what your talking about though, ive been through roswell....the town is crazy. See, I know that roswell was not an actual alien ship....but military. I dont know, im officially babbling.

11. One things that always bothered me about UFOs being piloted or controlled by Aliens is that, if they spent all that time coming here, why in the hell would they fly around the sky letting people see them but never stop by for a chat?

Also, with their level of technology why would they be seen at all. I'm sure they're smart enough to avoid detection if they wanted too... So, why the sightings, why the silence?

And no, being in secret pacts with Governments is not a good reason. Not wanting to get involved in our affairs would also be a flimsy reason, simply because, having visited us and allowed us to see them, they have got involved in our affairs and influenced people in one way or another.

Maybe they're time travelers! Future historians doing some research for their thesis!

*Shrugs*

Check This Out. :p

I know someone who said they have seen UFOs. A person I trust not to be lying about something like that. From what they described the UFO was moving across the sky a really fast speed, faster than a plane. During its flight it reversed its direction instantly without slowing down and accelerated in the opposite direction, going faster than it previously had. Then it vanished (i.e. accelerated really fast and vanished from sight). Aliens? Who knows... Could be some really awesome experimental flying device we won't see for another 10 years... Whatever it was, sounds pretty cool to me.

12. See, thats the point though liquid. Its all speculation. One cant comprehend the motives of an ET lifeform. Without seeing and speaking to one...so its all guesses....its all assumption. Its what YOU think an alien should be like. Thats why you disagree with me. See, my beliefs arent based on my far fetched ideas. My far fetched ideas are stemmed from my beliefs, and my beliefs come from evidence. which is video evidence, and photo evidence, and from what ive seen with my own two eyes. oh, and ancient evidence. based on those things ive come to the conclusion that there are ET lifeforms visiting this planet. And, not to mention, the military. They do keep ufo files, and such, top secret, above top secret. The MOST top secret they can get, why take something so serious, when everyone thinks its just crap? Why does the military have such an interest in ufo's? The military and government focus on serious matters, and Ufo's are deffinately something they focus on.

13. the part that amuses me about reading all the posts in this thread, is that whether people do or don't believe in aliens or god or whatever said topic is, they have a set idea of their belief. if you believe there is alien life, how are you so sure they are more advanced than us? who says they aren't at an equal stage as we were when humans lived in caves as hunter-gatherers? who says god is everywhere? for all we know he could be chillin in a fucking lazy boy hitting a RooR, or he could be doing something that is 100% beyond human comprehension. my point: we(humans) don't know shit, about fuck.

EDIT: next time i drop some acid im gonna attempt to ponder this. i wanna see what happens.

14. human beings have just opened the books to knowledge and science, there is onnly 15358753283573537235x more things out there that we dont know of, we still havent even figured everything on our planet yet, we have a long ways to go, but look we have already made it to the moon ('already' doesnt seem liek the right word in our life span but who knows how long earth has really been around and how long it will be around, and if we figure out how to travel in space, planet earth may just be a glimpse of the past and we will be living on differents planets and in different gallaxies) There is probably different obects out there that we dont have on earth that can help us scientificly. there may even be other things like a different color. It may seem impossible to us, but just imagine a colour we have never seen b4. No way to describe it or remake with all our stuff on earth. There are many things out there that we dont know of, including the possiblitly of aliens, even another planet with humans but more or less advanced, or even the ability to travel through time and space and energy. But that seems really far fetched and im pretty sure that in this lifetime we will never encounter all that even tho i wish we did, but thats life that we know of so far and we cant do a thing to change it.

15. Errr... Electromagnetic Spectrum

We can learn a lot from physics. Not that you'd bother to learn that. We're talking about the limitations of our universe based on constants which are observable over tens of billions of light years.

16. Wow, your a tough crowd, and im just saying IMAGINE a colour u have never seen how weird that would be? Not saying its completly possible but still that would be cool and interesting. And if you won't mind reading the reply from me from your other post, I would like to learn about "Electromagnetic Spectrum" unlike what you think.

17. Sure, but physics tells us it's impossible with our biology.

I like to stick with facts, not some what-if fantasy. I leave that to Vonnegut.

I didn't say you didn't want to learn it. I said you didn't bother to.

C'mon man, this is grade 8 science class stuff. I'm pretty sure Bill Nye did an episode on this. :rolleyes:

18. nah, me and Bill didn't get along very well in those days, but like i said i know its impossible, just using my mind for imagination which i tend to like.