If you have a cooltube. click on this thread

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by LittleGreenMan1, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Hey guys. As some of you know, i've been growing with a 600 and 400 w setup. 2 hoods. I'm thinking of switching to cooltubes so i can get my lights closer. they are cooled with a 6'' fan. would switching make my 'underlight temps' any cooler? the hoods i have now are AC but cooltubes might get cooler.

anyone with a cooltube is more than welcome to respond. +rep for answers. thanks.

2. I am using a cool tube with a ranco thermostat and 600w lhps inside a 5x5 tent. Works great with C02

peace
    dirty

3. sounds like a sweet setup. what are your temps 12'' under the tube?. too warm? does the tube help anymore than the AC hoods, or is it just marketing?

4. I live in Colorado so it's like -1 outside. I am bringing in fresh air through the tube from my garage. I can actually keep my cool tube (600w) 5 inches away from my plants without the temp going over 80. I am going to run the airconditioner in the summer time. Right now is perfect growing conditions for me.

Peace
    Dirty

5. #5 BUDACIOUS, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2010
    Im seeing temps in the low 70's (also using 600w), but it is still cold outside and when I say cold, Im talking San Francisco cold...you know, that brisk 65 degrees or whatever it is...lol...

6. thanks for the tips. you guys have expirience with any other reflectors? can anyone make a comparison? Seems like cooltubes just generally stay cooler, period.

7. I have an issue which i guess i could put in this thread. I have a 600w hps with a ballast for it (600w i guess?). The 600w lamp is in a cooltube. Now, I dont understand much of electricity, so could i perhaps just put a 250w hps lamp in the socket where the 600w is now and use the same ballast. I fear i will have major heat problems if i run my grow with the 600. I have a darkroom 80 which is 2'x8"x 2'x8" x 5'x3". or is my fear of heat problems not of major concern? (i am a first time grower)

8. #8 pnut420, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2010
    My lumatek digital 600w ballast specifically says DO NOT use different wattage bulbs with your ballast. If you want a 600w hps you need a 600w ballast.....400 watt light, 400w ballast.....you get the idea. All those lights require different start up voltages and using different ballasts would prolly wreak havoc on those systems. Ive never put a different watt bulb in a different watt ballast so im not sure what would happen.

Im under the impression if you put a 1000w bulb on a 600w ballast, then it wont get to its full brightness or ability because its not being fed enough watts.

But if you put a 150w bulb on a 1000w ballast, then it might burn it out instantly, not start it at all, or in worst case over heat the bulb causing it to explode or pop.

Like i said i never tried it but if i found a shitty ballast on its way out i might give it a try for experiments sake.

Anyone on here ever try any of this????

PS----with my 600w cooltube with 57 degree air running through it,(6" vortec fan) i can put it 8 inches above my plants before the canopy temp goes over 83. But i found out when i put it that close it was causing the temp of my bubble buckets and resivoir to climb to high. (80) Untill i work that out my light stays 16" above my canopy

9. thanks for your answer. Where are u growing? how big is the space? im getting different answers everywhere if the temps will rise in my tent or not (too much). in what price range do these fans go that u have? evidently i need one intake for the cooltube but is that enough or..?