Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

If tolerance to THC develops in the recreational user,what is a medicinal user to do?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by nps4474@yahoo.c, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Hello everyone, new to this site, looks very informative.

Here is my "dilemma". I have been smoking mid to high grade buds for about 3 years now. I smoked in my teens and 20's on and off, and then quit booze and ganja for about five years. After this break, I resumed the herbal injestion, and left the booze behind, life has been productive and happy thus far.

I am a daily smoker, the past 6 months I have been lucky to have nothing but headies (Sour Diesel, Trainwreck, Blueberry, Grapefruit as of this last month) a month ago I realized smoking wasnt doing the trick. I decided to try space brownies, I was absolutely (happily) wrecked for like 9 hours, it was really spectacular. Needless to say,I switched soley to eating high end herb for the next month.

Sadly, I am at the point where nothing (eating smoking) is getting the job done. Time to fast from the green stuff for a while.

I was just wondering if anyone had any info on a persons tolerance to THC. I have taken week long "breaks" here and there in the last 3 years, but I think I may abstain for a bit longer this time.

My question is, how do those unfortunate enough to be suffering from something like cancer, deal with taking "breaks" from their medicine? Or, are there ways chronic patients (there is a bad joke there) can get titrations high enough to encite the remaing, active nerotransmitters left available to them? (AS I understand, over time the brain becomes more attuned to dealing with the influx of THC from each toke, so over time, it shuts down the sites in the brain available for stimulation, since it now recognizes the drug it has recieved to steadily in blunt, bong, or spleef form.)

Sorry if this post is way too long, or posted in the wrong spot, like I said I'm new, however I am looking forward to any input you folks may have on this matter.

Oh, the cruel irony is, I actually have about 2-3 oz's of qualiity gormet nuggets collected from the best of the last 6 months bags. Really dank stuff. Sniffs only for a while goddammit!

2. I will be glad to take your stash of nuggets and make sure the temptations is not too much during your break. :smoking:

3. The only thing I can suggest, but you've obviously already come to the same conclusion as I have and that is to take a break. Before I was put on probation, I smoke a constant supply of Sensei Star, but I quit for about 5 months, when I started again I just couldn't get the high I used to get unless I partook of something with greater potency.

All i'm really saying is maybe an over-extended break is in order?

4. your tolerance is that high that you cant get fucked up from even eating cannabis? wow man... i have never heard of this before even in people that i know who have smoked weed and eaten it for over 30 years. your body has a really high tolerance to THC, only way to lower it is to try something else. maybe like not doing it like arenic inc said. maybe you need to invest in a phat bong, that will rip you to pieces :smoking: if this doesnt work man, try the booze again?

5. he's not asking for help with a problem guys, he's asking what medi users do to cope with their tolerance, that is, those who really need it for serious problems (least thats what I got)

6. Actually, it's both, it is sort of a problem for me, in the sense that I really don't want to quit getting high, but I have (I guess) injested so much good weed over the last 3 years that my tolerance is just through the roof.

Like I said before, about a month ago I discovered (for the first time) the bliss of cooked pot in brownie form. I simply cannot overstate how incredible the experience was. I just kept getting higher and higher, about every 1/2 hour my buzz would ramp up on and on for like the first 5 hours! This experience was also replicated in a buddy of mine who is a less seasoned smoker, tried one brownie (to my 4) and claimed to be more smashed then ever before in his life, in fact he claimed it was like getting high for the first time all over again.

So you can imagine my dissappointment over the course of the last month, I tried switching strains, but to no avail, each batch of brownies seemed to be weaker and weaker. (Though I was making each batch exactly the same, just alternating flavors of herb). So I was basically throwing cash down the drain, not getting even remotely high, and overall just missing the whole point of what grass is supposed to be....fun. I am currently trying to wrap up a degree in Graphic Design and commercial art, so you can imagine how helpful the mary jane is for stimulating creativity, suddenly trying to develop highly imaginative and effective advertisments is a lot more difficult for me when I'm "straight".

I then started thinking, shit, what do people who rely on THC for it's medicinal qualities do when they have smoked too much? Are the pleasurable effects the recreational toker seperate from the pain-reducing, analgesic qualities of pot? Meaning, can someone develop a resistence to the "happy floaty" effects, while still having the weed functionally go to work on the maladies of the body? My guess is the pain relief and the pleasure sensations are intermingled and indistinguishable, if you develop resistace to one effect through over use, my guess is you do the same to the other.

Oh, as far as the booze goes, that ship has sailed, I kept waking up in emergency rooms blowing ridiculous numbers on bac tests, I think I blew a .4, or a .04 in the ER once, (sorry, I know I sound stupid, but I can't remember the decimal place point alcohol is measured in.) but it was enough to have killed a lot of people. I remember the look on the nurses faces when I got up off the exam table and statrted to put on my clothes and shit, they were looking at me as if they had seen a ghost. So yeah, alcohol came close to destroying my life. Herb on the other hand, has been nothing but magic. Magic that has sadly, and for the time being, stopped working all together.

7. you sound smart enough to already know this but it hasn't been mentioned yet so I thought I'd throw it in there. make sure vacuum pac ( if possible) or at least put in an air tight container, the rest of your weed. keep it out of light also to help slow degradation of you bud. what's your recipe for brownies? I've never tried eating mj yet and I love brownies, sounds like a good combination.

8. Hey, I hope this is of some help to you.

As you already know over time smoking marijuana shuts down your brains neuro transmitters. As the get shut down it takes more to get high, and when you are smoking more, the stronger neuro transmitters shut down, and so on creating tolerance.

Scientifically, at a 6 month break all of your neuro transmitters should be back to working fine, if you havent stayed high for weeks on end. Too much will forever shut them down.

After a month or so alot of them will have shut down, but between that month and six, is when the rest get wrapped up. It seems like much more fun after a 6 month break because of the mentality issue, not the physical break.

9. O.k., so I scoured the web, looking at dozens of recipies for making cannabutter or cannaoil for brownies. As you probably know, herb must be smoked, or broken down with applied heat while suspended in a lipid, fat (oil, buter) in order to get your "desired result". (being and staying as high as a kite for honestly, like 9-12 hours.)

There was an abundance of cannabutter recipes, but I found the info on veg cannaoil more interesting. Vegetable oil has a lower smoke point then butter, if you saute the herb in butter, you run the risk of burning the THC right off your ground herb. Oil on the other hand, seems to be the perfect medium as you can better negotiate the overall heat applied, or rather, it takes longer for you to fuck up and burn the whole pan full! LOL

So, all you really need is
    1. A box of your favorite brownie mix (Betty Crocker ect.)
    2. 1 egg
    3. 1-2 tbls water
    4. 1/2 cup veg oil
    5. at least 1/4 oz (more is better, you will be able to get like 3-5 people really stoned on one batch so have some buddies pitch in) of your favorite strain of pot, stronger (obviously) the better, ground fine.

-Pour your oil into you pan, set heat on med/low (all stovetops differ so use your eyes to gauge level of applied heat in the observable form of the open flame) heat oil on low for 1 min.

-Grind up your grass in a herb or coffee grinder, nice and fine, but wait till right before you cook so as to avoid crushing trichomes till the very last minute.

-Add grass to heated cooking pan containing oil.

-Cook SLOWLY for 30 min or so. The mix should remain BELOW a simmer the whole time. If it starts to smoke, pull the pot from the stove and let it cool off to the side for a few minutes. The oil should be vascilating around in your cooking vessel, with a few little bubbles working their way up through the liquid. This is absolutely the most crucial step, if you cook your oil/herb mix propery, you will be very very happy with your "results". Remember, too much heat will burn off the valued THC, too little will not extract enough, so a few batches will give you a good idea of what your stovetop will do for you. Also, the color of the oil is the real giveaway, it will start off bright, leaf green, after 30 min, your oil should be a dark dark brown.

-After 30 min, let you oil cool for at leat 15 min. Then, just mix like the box says (herb oil, get every last drop, egg, water and brownie mix 50 strokes will do it) Add the mix to a buttered/greased pyrex bake pan, cook about 30 min, let cool for about 20 min, cut and enjoy!

Try 1 or 2, WAIT FOR AN HOUR BEFORE DECIDING TO EAT MORE. It takes about an hour to feel the awesomeness kick in, do not panic if you are not getting buzzed right away, it takes some people like 90 minutes to feel the rush start, though on an empty stomache, the buzz may creep into your life in as little as 15 minutes. I know everyone here is a seasoned toker, but trust me, the buzz is going to be way more intese then you expect, powerful body high and giddynness to proportions that simply cannot be achieved by smoking (in my humle opinion). I have read reputable sources state that eating pot will yield up to THREE TIMES the potency of smoking it. Some people (idiots) have actually voluntarily admitted themselves to emergency rooms simply because they "got too high." Have a blast, and please post your experience as I am thrilled to think of how much fun you are going to have.

If for some reason you have to use butter, a method that seems great involves melting the butter and extracting the THC using boiling water. You bring a big pot of water to a boil (not sure the quantity, just get a big pot and fill 3/4 with h2o.) Then add the butter to the water, once the butter melts, add the (freshly ground) grass , boil rapidly for 30-60 minutes. The reason you can safely boil the herb in the water and butter mix water without damaging the THC is because the boiling water medium keeps the precious ganja from burning. You can actually boil the whole mess a lot longer, say a few hours, thus really extracting almost ALL the THC goodness. The problem with this method is the wait. Once the whole mess has finished boiling, you stuff the whole pot into your fridge overnight. In the morning, if the weed gods are with you, you will open your fridge to fins a large BRIGHT NEON GREEN "frisbee" of awesome potent cannabutter magically floating on top of a lot of now scuzzy water. Slide the disk out into a platic storage container, ditch the gross water and viola! Time to get really really wasted. This is supposed to yield more potent butter the the veg oil recipe, however, it takes a lot longer, has a lot more steps, and frankly, I was so ridiculously high after injesting the oil, the butter and water method may be something I try later down the road.

Have fun, follow the instructions carefully, you will have the absolute time of your life. As your stomache and intestines go to work absorbing the THC the buzz will arrive, just in time for you to wonder why the hell you never tried eating this stuff a long time ago!

10. Sorry, forgot to mention, in case you didnt figure it out already, keep stirring your cannaoil with a wooden spoon thoughout its cooking time, this will of course, help insure the mixture doesnt burn.

11. Since I am officially "off the pot" I suddenly found myself with a boatload of free time...free time to...better....photograph my nug stash. LOL

So I figured people like to post their own mock-ups of their favorite High Times pictorals, I thought I would give my novice photo skills a shot.

This is what we get currently in Chi town, some choice Trainwreck, Sour Diesel, and I think some Mango?

Hope the pics posted o.k., the bubblers were handblown by a good buddy of mine who seems to churn out 2-3 pieces of smokeable art a day.

Attached Files:

12. very nice man, thx + rep. I'll give it a try in a few weeks when my crop comes in and let you know how I did, thx again and good luck with your tolerance break.

13. right now im in the same boat i will maybe get stoned once a day but i smoke throuhout my day while im in school again... i started smoking daily moved to 1/16 smoking daily to an 1/8 a day and now i smoke a 1/4 a day ofcourse thats between a few people. but i just dont find myself getting high anymore and im still adding to that 1/4 daily.. i pack kief ontop or bubble has ontop of every bowl i myself am trying to take a break....but like you said then i just wouldn't have anything to do and i would have some glass just sitting :(

14. The first night away from the green always treats me the harshest. Zero chance of sleep.

So I mentioned that I have been smoking for about 3 years now very steady, smoking up like 3-5 times a day, sometimes more. I have taken several week long breaks from grass with no real problems. However, I was always totally out of grass when I took my breaks, that or I was on a fam vac to like Florida for a week, purposefully not granting myself access to it. I could of course have called up my dealer, gone to meet him, ect. but this would require steps to gain access. I have never tried to quit with a lot of dank nuggets in my possesion.

I have to say it's a little strange. I'm sort of in the same boat as someone who is totally bone dry, and looking to score in that I don't want to abstain, but am sort of being forced into it. Haha, oddly paradoxical introspection, like dying of thirst in the middle of a freshwater lake.

Ok, time to shake it off, I think I am only going to shoot for 1 week off, see how that does me. It's not that I don't have a million fun things to do to keep my mind occupied, it's just that almost every one of those million things, seems much more fun to do while stoned, as many will agree. I almost caved like 10 times and actually went for the bubbler once. Self control, time to practice it.

Maybe a large plate of Orange Chicken from Panda Express will incite some sleepytime.

15. you have panda express where you live also?

as far as medicinal users i dont believe what is being treeted by the chemicals in marijuana can develop a tolerance to THC.

16. i think someone who needs it gets benefit from it, whether they get high or not.

personally, i've gotten to a point where i wouldn't feel high unless i was perfectly still. so i'm taking a few weeks off.

17. My only thought would be that I don't think medicinal users use as much as recreational users. Like, lately, I'm basically high from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep (i'm blessed with a low tolerance). I'm just saying this from what I know, thats not much, but don't medicinal marijuana users only use it for like when pain kicks in? Do they have to smoke every day even? I dunno, I never knew anyone that had an illness like that.

18. there are people have that to smoke upwards of 10-15 joints a day or eat an equivilant......some as little as a gram a day, but most medical patients need it every day.

19. Decided to try smoking again. Figured I would use a 5 day period as a benchmark. Not very happy with the results. Smoked about 1/8 of the buds I shot pics of on this same link a few days back. I don't have a scale so I eyeballed it, it was probably WAY more then an 1/8 and round abouts a quad as my guessed measurements always run over a gram scale measurement. lol. Anyway fuck it, I might need like a month off, maybe even more. Shit. I'm really kind of surprised. I have almost no buzz. If the crazy brownies I described earlier in this thread were a 10, this current experience is more like a 1.5. Did I say Shit already?