If the world was all Atheist innovators..

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Michio Kaku, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Yes but what about when we create a computer consciousness more intelligent than ours with faster processing speeds.  Who's to say they won't outsmart our feeble off switch.  Who's to say they won't hack in to secret missile sites and satellites and destroy us all!!!!!

2. maybe religion as a whole for the past years isn't harmful, but what's happening today in the US is.
    maybe you are overgeneralizing my original statement.

3. Whats to say we wont meld our minds with and become as powerful as the machines

4. we can't create anything truly smarter than us, computers are 'smart' because they never forget things, and they allow us to connect, but in reality it will take us a long time to create a human equivalent computer.

5. i think we will have neural connections with technology, and that could pose as a potential problem

6. Sure we can, try to recreate a human like consciousness in a computer, allow it to have much faster processing speeds and like you say a larger memory, it would also have instant access to the internet where it could find any information in light speed times.  

7. It definitely will, but im hoping once the elite/able to obtains become "posthuman" they come to the conclusion the best thing for humanity is for us all to have it...the we sort of become one ever expanding hivemind spreading throughout the galaxies

8. [quote name="Snoop Toad" post="19356381" timestamp="1389938187"]I think religion of any kind holds us back and only when we live based on logic, reason, and empirical evidence will we truly advance. Morals and ethical standards are points of view.Only when we stop basing decisions on belief and starting living with human advancement as the overall goal will we obtain utopia.[/quote]You should read, or hell spark note, brave new world by Aldous Huxley. A society that believes, at the extreme levels of cultic behavior, will yield issues. Scientism cannot solve moral and ethical issues, IMO. I always hold that a constant suspension of belief, or an active disbelief is necessary when attaining any sort of truth in the World. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. I have a print copy. Good book.

However imo, there is no truth and morals and ethics are merely points of view.

Imo, the only goal that we should really truly all be able to agree on is preservation of the species. No killing, no exploiting your fellow man. That way we may all seek our own truths without interference.

I realize some would say that in saying that i am pushing my own view. I am. I feel it is the only universally agreeable law, however perhaps near impossible until we self evolve beyond our human form, still ruled by passions.

10. your origional statement was pretty specific

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

I disagree completely. Science has no bearing in determining the existence of God. God is an entirely philosophical concept that science can potentially support. The problem lies in false definitions of God. People take the lowest common denominator and apply their criticisms to it.

12. Science can never, in any way, prove or disprove or support or slander entirely faith based ideas. It just isnt what science does.

I also meant to say that science can support philosophy, not God directly.

But it wouldn't be conscious. Check out the new thread I made. It talks about singularity and other important stuff at the frontier of exploring consciousness through science.

15. read "Robopacalypse" 

good book. 

16. As long as that philosophy is based on the material world and can be tested, yeah. Im having a hard time thinking of any philosophical and scientifically testable idea that could relate to god though.

The rest (and that as well to a degree) is merely opinion.

It's too deep. One would have to get into what God is, what consciousness and a whole host of other shit. On the other hand, it looks like we are coming close to (and perhaps have already) solving the hard problem of consciousness. http://forum.grasscity.com/science-nature/1275641-consciousness-quantum-hammeroffs-orchestrated-objective-reduction-theory.html 

18. So science can support philosophy but only in theory? I don't agree but i see how that idea sounds like it works without picking it apart.

Can you provide an example though maybe I'm missing something.

19. What you mean the one with the hour long video?  I'll get round to it.

I don't really read, but I assume it's of a similar premise to my comment.

20. Yup, a robotics genius is the author so he approached the novel with some real science. Albeit the book is complete fiction. 
    If you ever decide to, it's worth a read.