If the world was all Atheist innovators..

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Michio Kaku, Jan 17, 2014.

1. We would be much more advanced

2. Why? Speaking as an atheist i must disagree.Religion has nothing to do with scienceSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 -Martyr, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    The amount of practitioners on this planet has nothing to do with how fast we progress technologically. A lot of our progress is made through Japan as well, who embrace pretty much every religion and implement it into their culture. I doubt the world would be more advanced without Japan contributing.

4. #4 Sam_Spade, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2014
    I value scholarly contributions irregardless of the religious persuasions of the author.

I find the content of their arguments are much more compelling and relevant than their religious values. If there is a connection, I am disinterested.

5. I don't think so myself...plus some of our advancements were religiously pushed like the printing press...

But that's really beside the point, like what was said above, religion and science are seperate...

Sent from Melmac...

6. You answer your own question while asking it. Yes, exactly.. religion has nothing to do with science, so the longer we have religion on Earth - science will be suppressed. The more scientific people our generation has will determine it's success. Creationism isn't at all appropriate for children, and children are the next generation of the work force. Do you want stupid religious people that don't pay attention to facts and ignore evidence? Or do you want our next generation to be innovative, science-minded, logical and educated?Bagdad flourished for hundereds of years, but then religion moved in, and now look where they are.
    Algebra is Arabic, it's from that region at that time. They had many scholars and brilliant scientists before the religion took over.

I didn't say it would 'technologically' I said it would as in we would be a more advanced as a society and people. You can't seriously tell me that religion isn't detrimental to the progress of mankind. If you believe that then you are either mis-informed, or ignorant of the facts. Japan isn't that special. Yes they have advanced technology but it's still happening here in the United States.. People move here, because of our technological advancement through intellectual capital and because U.S. has a so called democracy.. Japan is just another place where technology is available. I'm not even talking about technology, I'm talking where would the United States be if we were all a little more enlightened and weren't blinded by faith.

Yes, Galileo for example. But religion is the reason Newton stopped, what if he had kept going? He invented calculus on the whim, and we have only a slight record of his brilliance in our history, compared to what it would have been. Galileo would have made more advancements if his religious beliefs hadn't gotten in the way. I'm not saying there can't be smart christians, but for our next generation to be just as ignorant as this last because of religion we would not progress. If you a religious scientist there is no way your religion will never cross paths with your work.

7. [quote name="Michio Kaku" post="19355036" timestamp="1389925738"]You answer your own question while asking it. Yes, exactly.. religion has nothing to do with science, so the longer we have religion on Earth - science will be suppressed. The more scientific people our generation has will determine it's success. Creationism isn't at all appropriate for children, and children are the next generation of the work force. Do you want stupid religious people that don't pay attention to facts and ignore evidence? Or do you want our next generation to be innovative, science-minded, logical and educated?Bagdad flourished for hundereds of years, but then religion moved in, and now look where they are.Algebra is Arabic, it's from that region at that time. They had many scholars and brilliant scientists before the religion took over.I didn't say it would 'technologically' I said it would as in we would be a more advanced as a society and people. You can't seriously tell me that religion isn't detrimental to the progress of mankind. If you believe that then you are either mis-informed, or ignorant of the facts. Japan isn't that special. Yes they have advanced technology but it's still happening here in the United States.. People move here, because of our technological advancement through intellectual capital and because U.S. has a so called democracy.. Japan is just another place where technology is available. I'm not even talking about technology, I'm talking where would the United States be if we were all a little more enlightened and weren't blinded by faith.Yes, Galileo for example. But religion is the reason Newton stopped, what if he had kept going? He invented calculus on the whim, and we have only a slight record of his brilliance in our history, compared to what it would have been. Galileo would have made more advancements if his religious beliefs hadn't gotten in the way. I'm not saying there can't be smart christians, but for our next generation to be just as ignorant as this last because of religion we would not progress. If you a religious scientist there is no way your religion will never cross paths with your work.[/quote]While some people let religion cloud scientific judgement, you are letting that stereotype cloud your own judgement.The responses in this thread say enough.Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. You're equating creationism to religion.

Atheists can be just as biased as others - yours is blaring here.

Long time no see.

9. Baghdad and that entire region flourished under the religion of Zoroastrianism. India and essentially every scientist therefrom is very religious and all acknowledge the knowledge and wisdom contained within the Vedas. The very point of religion is to drive people forward spiritually in tandem with science. Religion might not have any place in science, but science definitely has a place in religion. If any religion goes against science, it is either a failed religion or it is being misunderstood and corrupted.

Religion is the philosophical path, one that guides people with purpose. Science is the path of knowledge itself. Both must be applied together for the perfect results.

10. [quote name="Sand box" post="19355401" timestamp="1389929282"]You're equating creationism to religion.Atheists can be just as biased as others - yours is blaring here.Long time no see.[/quote]i ragequitted for a while. Workin on an attitude adjustmentSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #11 Michio Kaku, Jan 17, 2014
    Maybe I shouldn't say the world, just the United States?

Maybe the religion worked out there, but I do know that it didn't cause any progress. While you guys may argue that religion isn't bad, there is no argument against the fact that religion doesn't cause progress.. Science causes progress.

I'm not saying Christians are biased, I'm saying WE AS A SOCIETY, CAN NOT MOVE FORWARD IF WE ARE HELD BACK BY LIES.
    Its easy to say others are biased but this is 100% truth. I'm not a biased person just a truthful person and I know for a fact that religion is bad news. 
    I'm not stereo-typing anyone, it's the truth. Look at the percentage of Atheists who are smart, and then look at the percentage of Christians that are smart. Religion is just filling the gaps you don't know with storytelling.

That's why religion is kept separate from science. And you can't prove a lie if you can't prove its truth, so there's also that.

Why just the US? The entire world feels the effects of science, whether directly or indirectly. If you're talking about truth and science, it's universal. You can't restrict it, or else you're effectively placing a bias. Bias and truth don't go together, and lemme tell you, you're being incredibly biased against religion, which you seem extremely uneducated on.

13. I feel that science will progress faster when people realize its unknowable and ultimately unimportant.

Actually, without religion, chances are that there would be no progress as their would be no moral guidance and laws. In those times, people were likely to resort to all types of barbaric behaviour and nobody gave a fuck about humanitarian and scientific efforts. In fact, science wouldn't exist right now if religion never existed.

Moral guidance can exist without religion.

16. #16 Michio Kaku, Jan 17, 2014
    This is the issue though, some people believe we need religion to know what's wrong and what's not wrong. So without a Deity you don't know that killing your family is wrong? Just look back at when the Church had power, everyone was blind, they hung Giodonno Bruno and now look, they were so backwards.

Well I live in the US so I can restrict it. I can talk about the progression of my nation and stuff that's halting progression without being biased.. Because this is where I am and what's important to me and for the next generation

Although knowing that the same materials that make up you make up stars in space may seem feeble, science is knowledge and knowledge is innovation and innovation is progression
    Science is the reason your eating breakfast that the Tzar of Russia couldn't have had 100 years ago.

17. This thinking is exactly the type of problem holding us back lol.

The bolded part is your bias.

It can, but if it is codified, then it becomes a religion.

Everything becomes a religion eventually. Not all religions have Deities, the ones I speak of are not the western religions.