IF it’s no longer a schedule 1 drug what will that mean for most of us?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Hoosiergrower, Apr 25, 2018.

1. So if by some measure of justice cannabis is removed as a schedule 1 drug in the next 6 months to year what effect will that have for us in non legal states initially?

For me personally, and I suspect a huge percentage of rec users, I’m most concerned about forcing ass bag companies to stop random drug screening for weed.

I’m sure it will accelerate states to change laws pertaining to medical and recreational use but in the interim I fear it won’t make any change in the cat and mouse game many of us play with employers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. The good news is, if you live in a state that doesn't seem to be going legal anytime soon you can become an activist. Pressure your local and state politicians, while saving money on the side. When it becomes legal in your state you can be on the list of first to get a license.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Can you explain in more detail what you mean by being first on the list?

4. It won't. If weed remains illegal regardless whether it's classified as schedule I or schedule II it will continue to be a target for employer drug screening. Marijuana is the only drug that remains detectable in your system longer than many company's grace period once notified for a random drug screen. My company has a random drug screen policy that requires that you report to a testing facility within 5 days of notification. Anything except marijuana will be undetectable after 5 days.

Random drug screening in my company is extremely rare. I've been with the company for over 10 years and I don't know of anyone who has been hit for a random drug screen. I wasn't even required to submit to a pre-employment drug test.

I was however required to pass a drug screen early in this job because one of the customer sites that I worked at required that all venders that work in their facilities have a drug test on file. It wasn't an issue for me at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sorry guys, I live in a CBD state with THC for the dying and doubt it will affect legal status or drug testing. The important thing that happens when MJ is removed from schedule one is that scientific groups can justify better study of Cannabis in the US for medicinal purposes. When it's classified as highly addictive with no medical usage, (schedule 1), try getting funding and permits for human testing.... I'm sure there are many more important reprocussions, but it would be a big step toward legalization.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I think this depends on the industry your in, but as you pointed out, marijuana is clearly the target despite the fact that alcohol may be the most dangerous legal drug in the country. Alcohol is probably the biggest reason for most industrial and highway accidents. So what the Hell?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Why would you think that would happen in 6 months to a year when so much in the US is going backwards?

8. It’s obvious by your remark you want to make it a political issue about the current administration. Fine. The current administration is more likely to make a major policy change simply because he isn’t in bed as deeply with Wall Street, big pharma and the spirits industry as the other candidate was or previous administrations.
    He also stated today he would be okay with changing things. That may be a subtle hint about schedule status.
    But nothing has happened, yet. And actions mean more than words. However I’m very confident that at some point in the next few years tops, think election time, schedule one status will go away and then it’s going to open the floodgates.

9. I have no political political leanings at the moment, my only politics are about the 15 years I have lived in pain. I have to buy my daily relief illegally and struggle with counseling friends to do the same. Sometimes the good ole USA seems pretty oppressive.

10. Fewer Colorado companies are including Cannabis Metabolite in their drug tests. It's a trend that will eventually result in it being a non-issue in legal states sooner or later. As was mentioned above, the time involved for metabolites to become undetectable makes for about half the population failing traditional Cannabis drug screening at some point. The science dept. is working on new tests that can reflect actual intoxication level for traffic law purposes.

Anything else just depends on what state or local law says. The Feds will no longer be involved with it. I predicts mass decriminalization measures nationwide at the state and local levels in the short term, followed by complete mainstreaming over the next decade. It's really just a question of how hard the really backwards conservative areas need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. The folly of Cannabis prohibition has become all too clear to everyone except the zealots with their heads buried deeply in the sand. Direct competitors like the alcohol, tobacco and pharmaceutical industries will go through a transition period of shrinking business.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I would strongly advised getting on any sort of institutionalized government list. Even if it's legal. After all, they can pull the plug at any moment they want and have the entire list of cannabis users.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I haven't heard of anywhere where being on a list set folks up for trouble at a later date. On the contrary....I was a MMJ patient here in CO for over 10 years and had 2 incidents with LEO where I pulled out the card...and walked away unscathed. One of those times they came to my house for a "Knock and Talk". When they started getting a bit testy...I showed them my card(s) and that changed the entire vibe from "drug bust" (with a warrant) to "we're sorry we interrupted your day"...

Had i not had the card...it would not have been good.

13. At least some of the CO jurisdictions have chilled on the weed topic quite a bit. We had an incident here in my locality last year where a guy was reported and the cops found over 100 plants. The officer told him he had to get rid of all but 6 and would be back later to check on compliance.

14. I mean people on cannabis are not bad, they even see better from increased cannabimimetic activity while the plants compounds actively express in the eye.