If hedonism is true...

Discussion in 'General' started by PlatonicStrtgst, Nov 21, 2011.

1. does that mean a well supplied crackhead has the best life?

2. no, crackheads suffer everyday, they just don't realize it because they're high

3. But does that matter? It doesn't matter what the truth is, only what their truth is. Hedonism is not concerned with truth but experiance, in this case relative experiance.

4. [quote name='"PlatonicStrtgst"']But does that matter? It doesn't matter what the truth is, only what their truth is. Hedonism is not concerned with truth but experiance, in this case relative experiance.[/quote]

True, I just imagine hedonists to be happy, fun loving people who like to let loose and have a good time. I don't imagine them beginning for change on a street corner for their next fix.

Still, it does make sense. Someone once told me that smoking _____ was the greatest feeling ever, and that's how people get hooked.

Maybe if they did it recreationally (lol), and didn't live like a junky they'd be more hedonist.

5. Personally I don't think its true. At least I hope not. There has to be something else that makes a good life than just happyness.

6. Hedonism is not what most people think. Yes its about maximizing pleasure, but its for the maximum pleasure (or utility) for the maximum amount of people. It uses a thought process similiar to Kant's Categorical Imperative to determine which actions will maximize the utility.

Hedonism is not about maximizing the pleasure of self, its a miss used word in our culture.

7. No thats Utilitarianism, not Hedonism.

Hedonism is exclusively about self yo.

8. Lol no its not. Ive read plenty in my philosphy classes at CSU about hedonism. Its not only about the self. Yes utilitarism is very similiar, thats why both are taught after the other. Utility in utilitarism is more than pleasure, in fact many times utility is not pleasureable. Such as killing ten people so a thousand may live, a hedonist may not do that, as no pleasure is gained, but a utilitarian would def kill the ten

9. And all my philosophy courses at wikipedia.com say otherwise. Utilitarianism is distinct from Hedonism because it is about maximizing utility, the greatest good for the most of people. Hedonism is about maximizing PERSONAL pleasure. Look it up.

10. [quote name='"PlatonicStrtgst"']And all my philosophy courses at wikipedia.com say otherwise. Utilitarianism is distinct from Hedonism because it is about maximizing utility, the greatest good for the most of people. Hedonism is about maximizing PERSONAL pleasure. Look it up.[/quote]

Pretty sure that's exactly what he just said lol

11. if you like crack then smoke it. whos to tell you otherwise? just dont expect the same things in life as a "normal" person

though, im sure there are at least 2 or 3 crackheads with somewhat succesful lives

12. Yeah if you read wikipedia it says utilitarinism is a sub faction of hedonism, Have you even read any of John Stuat Mill's books? Cause I have.

Hedonism isnt an idea just for the self, its a theory with a much larger scope than that, you are just falling in line with the cultural thinkin. Stop relying on wikipedia and actually pick up a book

13. Fuck, even on wikipedia it says its the pleasure of self and others. At least quote something that agrees with you.

14. Man my memory totally failed me. I apologize, couldnt have been more wrong!

15. Confused hedonism with egoism!

16. Well if that crackhead is always having a great time, sure. But we all know that's not possible with that drug.

Cannabis on the other hand, yeah, it's much more doable.

I consider myself one.

17. So do you think, if you had the choice to be able to smoke all day and get high all day or be hugh heffner and bill gates combined, that smoking all day is a better life?

18. Who gives a fuck about crackheads?! Not many...

:)

19. i'd take a different path of hedonism and indulge in living my life in as many ways as possible.

20. Um. Well since neither of those are true I'm not really even considering them...

I don't want to be high all the time, then being sober just feels bad instead of normal.

But I'm still a well equipped/stocked stoner, so I can get high when I want.