If a seed opens up, is it a given that it will sprout?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by noobwidow, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Noob here. I tried germinating a pair of seeds and threw them away after about 5 days thinking they were no good. I read up a little on here and i'm trying again with an individual seed from the same batch. I have it in a tupperware with damp paper towels and a thermometer that indicates a range of 74 - 81 fahrenheit.

I could see the whitish root after the seed broke open after 2 - 3 days and has sort of stayed the same the following 3 days.

So, after 6 days of germinating, my question is: if the seed has opened, is it a fact that it will eventually sprout? Or could it have gone bad somehow?

Thanks for your responses.

2. #2 hermandamerman, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010

when im germing, i check on the seeds every 6 to 12 hours. as soon as the tap root shows, i plant them.

so to answer your question, just because it has shown its tap root, does not mean that it will sprout. but moving it into the right conditions will help it out. if it did nothing after 3 days of just the tap root showing, id say that either it isnt going to do anything, or its just wanting something more to move the process along, so you should go ahead and plant it.

good idea not to do too many seeds at once. start out with two, and then when its established, start another two. this will help out when it comes down to if its a male or female. chances are that if you do get that one to sprout, that it will be a male.

3. No guarantee but it is a very good sign. I give it 85%

4. where do you get your percentages? i dont think that you can say that it has an 85% chance. id give it a 50%

5. In all my own experience only one opened seed has not sprouted. I have grown many plants.

6. Perhaps I am an exception rather than a rule but this is my experience.

7. well i will accept that, but there are no rules, just guidelines when it comes to growing. i too have grown many plants from seed. but just because a seed opens up, doesnt mean that it will sprout, and giving a person, especially someone new to growing the false hope of 85% isnt a good idea. maybe your the exception, or maybe youve been lucky. how many years have you been growing? maybe you havnt grown enough plants over the years to not be the exceotion. where have your seeds come from? that plays a factor in it too. how many different strains have you grown? have you bred your own seeds? you just cant say that there is an 85% chance. oh and to let you know, to get the 85% thing, and only have lost one seed, you would have had to have planted only 6 plants.

8. I have had seeds not open, I have had them die in the first weak. but they almost always sprout. I have grown for a few years mostly fresh seeds perhaps my results would have been different with bag seed.