If a cop knocks on your door...

Discussion in 'General' started by chronicman00, Mar 30, 2009.

1. do you have to answer it?

lets say your neighbor calls the cops because he can smell cannabis coming from your window...but by the time the cops come it doesnt smell anymore. do you have to open the dooor?

or your bumpin hella loud music and as soon as the cops come you shut it off? by law do people have open the door and talk to the cop?

2. #2 pictures, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
    no

you do not have to open the door under any circumstances. you could have a fireplace full of weed burning and if cops come to your door without a warrent you still don't have to open it.

in fact. you should never open your door to police. any conversation should take through a window from a second story or yelling through the door. unless there is a warrent being showed in your peephole, never, ever EVER open the door for police under ANY circumstances, NOTHING good can come from it.

if your music is too loud, they can inform you that through a window or door, a door does not need to be opened for them, because many officers take this as "implied consent" and will physically prevent you from closing the door, if you keep trying, you will be assulting a police officer, and then your entire house will be torn apart for shits and giggles

as nike wouldn't say: just don't do it.

3. well no you dont cause we did that at my old condo

i was outside when the cops came cause some kids got jumped and then some neighbors called the cops

cops got there and they knocked and then he was just like "man i just wanted to talk to your friends but they wanna play games so now im gunna cost them for this door" and he used the other side of his flashlight to put dents into the door

i shouldnt quote him cause i was helllaaa fucked up (nd i dont even say that) that night

but yeah they refused to answer and the cops just dipset eventually...even after getting a report

but it might of been because the witnesses said the people who did the jumping left and werent in the house

or maybe just goes to show how much they dont give a shit because obviously the people in the house knew the jumpers

4. As long as he doesn't smell bud or there isn't anything else that gives him probable cause and he doesn't have a warrant then you don't have to open the door.

"You keep on knockin' but ya can't come in!" :D

5. *knock knock*

Who's there?

*popo*

Got a warrant?

*No, but can I come in?*

No, get the fuck out of here.

6. that isn't true. your house is one of the most protected things under illegal searches and siezures, you have A LOT of rights when you are posted inside your house. if piggies smell weed they can go get a warrent, but for the most part for the smell of burning marijuana, a warrent wont even be given.

7. :rolleyes:

8. I'd ask him what it was about, if it was something that required a long talk I would probably let him in and offer him a drink.

9. do you have something to say? i bet you're the kind of person that when a cop says "we smell weed open the door or we're kicking it in" is shitting your pants letting them in begging not to go to hard on you.

learn your rights, stop mocking those that do.

10. but it gives the police probable cause to enter your home.

11. Smelling weed gives a cop probable cause. Probable cause allows a cop to enter your home. Period.

And you really shouldn't assume things. ;)

12. yeah and i actually another story i just remembered...

few years ago i was at a party... i was 16... and we were burning in the back and the neighbors were straight but they just said keep the noise down...so we regulated and tried to keep everyone trying to come out...inside...

we failed and the neighbors called the cops...we were the only people who realized what they were doin so we just left (right when the cops were showin up)

OH THE IRONY

we go to an empty parking lot and start calling people looking for a new party...

cops show up in the empty lot and give us a lot of shit for "Loitering and Prowling" but let us go

we then find out the next day that party went hard till like 4am

but at the front door there were no blinds and you could clearly see the beerpong table and underage kids so we thought itd be fucked...guess they really cant do in for much

13. so even if its 2 a.m and theres a huge party goin on inside with loud ass music makin my neighbors walls shake I can still refuse to talk to the police?

14. well id say a noise complaint followed by a cop pulling up to a house with a beerpong table and high school kids visible in the house would be probable cause

but i guess not then

15. i know of parties around here where there are cops outside and kids inside in the windows waving their bottles around and shit at them because pigs can't do shit without a warrent, its as simple as that. of course they got a warrant and busted them, but its simply proof that they can't really do much unless you cooperate

16. A warrent will then be gotten if you refuse to cooperate, yes you can refuse, but it would be better to simply turn the music down. they still cant enter your house without a warrant.

no
    not true
    stop repeating this bullshit
    if a cop smells weed at your residence and all your doors are closed and locked, there is NOTHING that he can do without getting a warrant. simple as that. harass the shit out of you, yes, but without a warrent all he can do is stand outside your house salivating.

17. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probable_cause

18. Thats bull...if a cop sees a minor waving a bottle of alcohol at him through a window, he dont even need a warrant then....he's got the right to bust down the door to protect a child who might be being endangered by someone contributing to their delinquincy...

19. well I know that they cant enter without a warrant but they can get a warrant if I dont answer the door and theres loud ass music bumping?

what would the warrant be for?

20. #20 pictures, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009

copy and pasting a wikipedia link, really? why don't you do some actual research.

a warrent must be obtained for a police officer to search your house. its simple as that. no warrant, no deal.

a bottle could contain water. a warrant is still needed.

i dont know what specific statues you have in your area sorry, they probably would try to just knock and talk and if you don't turn your music down they would ticket you every minute you don't. although depending on your local ordinances something else could happen.