Idea of a tattoo (feedback plx)

Discussion in 'Tattoo, Piercings and Body Art' started by ebola weed, Nov 13, 2011.

1. I know a few well reputed local tattoo artists...

They hate when people come in with a picture and want a tattoo exactly the way that they want it without letting the artist get creative with it. When a tattoo artist isn't feeling the tattoo he is doing and gets bored with the idea, he isn't going to try as hard to do a good job on the tattoo. In fact, he probably will do it quickly and sloppily and happily take your money and send you on your way.

2. Doesnt sound like a reputed artist to me.

3. Go and get a tattoo and talk to your artist about what he thinks when people come in and get that shit done

4. Well dude. Sounds like you're pretty open minded. Also sounds like you're really wanting a personally significant tribute tatt in a prominent place.
    What's the occassion? Tell us a little of the story behind it. Where you from, what culture? You're wanting how big? Full chest?
    Seems like several "artists" have responded. I know you guys like to get paid for your work, but how about throwing up a sketch or two for this dude instead of just shooting down his idea. I'd love to see some y'all's art.

5. he's getting it for this kid. It was his nephew and he passed away from cancer.

CaringBridge.org - zacharyfinestone

6. yeah, he passed away 2 years ago from neuroblastoma cancer, a really rare form of it. he fought it for 9 years. and my culture is scandinavian (swedish in particular) i wanted a tat real big bro. across my chest.

if anyone would sketch this out thatd be great. ill probably sketch it out in a class or some shit.

7. i disagree

8. The best traditional american tattoo artists don't.

9. Why not use Swedish instead of Latin? Nordic/Viking themes? You can honor your background and your family? Sounds like this kid was a true warrior. Fallen Viking helmet?
    Something very personal to you or him.

10. its 2011.

11. Guys, I think your attitude going in is more important than what the artist likes to do. If you walk in like a pompous little prick who has no tattoos but has strict rules about which ones are "tacky"... they're not going to like you. o_O

I was nice to my tattoo artist for my first tattoo, and he liked doing the lettering. His only concern with my tattoo was that I would regret it, since it is my first tattoo and I'm pretty young. (And he may have been judging my taste in music...)

But the point is. Get something you like, because to the artist you're a customer, and to you this is permanent. It might be less cliche or whatever, if you were concerned about my opinion, if you just had the words printed straight across your chest, not in a curved shape. Simple, but rare to find.

12. OP did you ever figure anything out? How about the word with filigree work around it. I have this style and think it looks good.

google image filigree tattoo

13. are you kidding me? they make awesome tattoos if done right. PLUS, everyone get script right now, it's paying our bills :)

and I vote "requies aeterna" it will read much better on that area of your body. it's much more dynamic.

14. Thanks man! I've been thinking of a new idea of a tattoo.. something like a viking ship sailing away because thats the symbol of a viking funeral.. but really i do not know because that would probably look weird on the body.

15. Naw bro, if you can get the right artist it would look badass. I can see that in my mind's eye...have the boat turned a bit so it's not just the back end(stern?) facing you, but also not the full broad side. And making the water ripple to make it appear to be moving wouldn't be a hard thing to do. I approve of this idea:hello::hello:

16. #36 smokewithsatan, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
    any tattoo can look awesome given the right artist to do it! Something like that would be really rad by someone who works in black and grey or realism. Research your local artists.

Look for things like blueish hazes around healed tattoos they've done, that's called a blow out. if its happening a lot they probably aren't very experienced or very good. It happens when the needle penetrates to deep, and the ink spreads under the skin.

Another thing is line quality. Look closely at what an artist is posting. Lines should NEVER be shaky or broken. A good artist can put in a straight consistant line no problem.

Color should always be consistent and never patchy. Solid black will sometimes heal a little blotchy but your artist will offer you touch ups to fix that for free or at a really minimal cost. Doing solid colors requires a lot of trauma to the skin and if overworked the color won't heal perfectly.

and always remember,
    Cheap tattoo's aren't good and good tattoo's aren't cheap!

17. this is awesome. i wonder if anyone on GC would possibly do sketch this tattoo for me.. not a very good drawer.

18. It would be a hell of a lot better to get your artist to draw it up bro. It might cost a little extra but when (s)he draws it up it would be something they already put time in to, so they won't bullshit the idea and they would take a lot more care while tattooing you to get right. Just tell them the basics of what you want and let their imagination go crazy with it... You'll get a much better product

19. fuck everyone telling you what to get and what not to get. For me personally my tattoos are for my satisfaction and i dont give a shit what others think. everyone has their own opinion, so to the guy that keeps insisting lettering looks bad just because "true american tattoo artists" think that, well fuck you because thats an opinion and your opinion can be different than anyone else's.

i think script and lettering is quite aesthetically pleasing at least to my eyes and thats really all that matters to me.

personally i feel that if an artist cant do a simple script or lettering correctly than why should i trust them to do a huge mural on me?

20. :rolleyes:

Yeah, listen to this guy and get a bunch of script on you

And be forced to forever recite it to every curious jackass that wants to look at it.

There's a reason they're the most covered up.