I was with George Clinton in the studio this week

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by usnsc, Oct 1, 2010.

1. I engineered a session for George Clinton. Old P' Funk himself. Spent about 21 hours in the studio. It was pretty awesome. :smoke:

2. Thats insane, good shit man. I only know of him cause of red hot chili peppers, but id love to meet the dude.

3. wait...what did he do with them?

4. Rock on :D

A moment with a great one;):smoke:

5. I am absolutely envious of you. Saw him play with P-Funk this summer at a festival while peaking on a couple tabs. It was absolutely unreal, they killed the set. It was so good :smoke: studio time must have been crazy

6. It was pretty awesome. Joe Wooten was there along a couple motown players.

7. Heres a pic of us

Attached Files:

8. Whats school did you go to for engineering?

also how long did it take to get a job after graduating?

do you make enough $ to live comfortably (rent, bills, food, herb)?

I was thinking about going to the art institute in chicago

9. I went to SAE Institute. I got lucky with my job. I was only an intern for about 3 months when the house engineer got offered a better gig. And I was promoted from intern to house engineer over night. Been there for 3 years.

The music business is a gable. I also know people that interned for years and ended up giving up cause they could never find a job. It really boils down to luck. Its more luck than what you know.

Moneywise, its up or down. Its really either feast of famine. Since I'm technically still self employed, if I don't work, I don't make any more. So you really gotta go out and hustle to find work.

Its a great job for a stoner. Almost everyone in the business smokes. So I get to work high all the time. My 2 favorite days were working with George Clinton and Buddy Miles and Billy Cox from Jimi Hendrix band. Man did they have some stories. It was awesome :smoke:

10. so do you just record track or do you also mix them, mixing is the hard part

idk if i wanna be a engineer any more cus i hate sitting and recording I just wanna make beats but that probly want happen for me, im so lost in my life

11. It really depends on the session. For the most part I mix them as well. But sometimes clients just take tracks. Its definitely not as easy as everyone thinks. Eveyone expects you can pretty much do anything. Have little patience for you to figure out how to do it and you pretty much sit in a chair all day and stare at a computer screen. Really don't get much time for bathroom breaks as we're usually over dubbing. But I'm still working with music and I definitely can't complain. I don't know what else I'd do. Yeah, engineering an making beats are completely different. I'd say just keep making beats and if you're any good at it, someone will pick you up.