I want to lose a whole ton of weight.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by need2knowbases, Dec 13, 2009.

1. I am a fatty, at 280lbs and 5'9", but I'm not uncomfortable. I can climb stairs and lift heavy shit, no big deal. This is strictly for appearance. I have a couple of questions about my situation specifically.

Most of this weight is just fat, so what I'm worried about most is being all loose-skinned and nasty. Is this a valid concern? I'd almost rather work with what I have than be equally unattractive in a totally different way.

Also, I'm broke, to the bone. No income at all. Been looking for a job for almost a year. This could either be a good or a bad thing; I was considering an all-liquid diet, but does that include just meal replacement shakes or am I missing a part of this?

It seems that the way my body works is that I can eat once a day and be fine, and when I do this I do lose weight, I'd say maybe 5-10 pounds just guessing. But, it plateaus. This is without me exercising. I don't know if this is a good thing either. Thyroid disease runs in my family, but I have never noticed my weight to really fluctuate besides the above scenario.

What do you guys/gals think? Any advice? Exercise routines? Whatev. Any help is appreciated.

2. The thing people do wrong most often when trying to lose weight, is cut themselves off from food. The mistake here is that when doing this, your body is forced to take from itself for energy. People think that by not eating their body will be forced to use up its fatty storages. This is true, your body will do that, however it also takes muscle tissue. This is where the plateu (or even weight gain) comes into play. When you don't eat, your muscles, as well as other tissue are taken for energy.

Muscles take energy to operate, and maintain. So by having muscles (you don't have to be ripped) you have a key fat burning tool. The problem is when you don't eat, your body does burn off some weight, but as soon as you eat again, that muscle your body had to take, is gone. That muscle being gone means your tool for burning fat just got a chip in it. You then gain that weight back, which is often a disappointment to those who have lost weight.

The keys to losing weight are:

Eat breakfast (food after you wake up) this will help engage your metabolism for the day.

Drink plenty of water

Eat reasonably

As well as an additional 20-30 minutes of light exercise 3-4 days a week.

3. I think you may be taking the wrong path, dude. An all liquid diet would help to lose some water weight/muscle mass but nothing good will really come of it. What needs to happen is an overall change in how you eat and what you do.

280 and 5'9 is a pretty big. You'll probably need to seriously start an overall life change if you plan on getting it down and keeping it off for long. But at least you're conscious of the problem and have an active desire to fix it

4. amen

;)

5. The thing is though, I have never had a huge appetite or crazy diet, never have really. It's kind of mind boggling to me as to why I am this big now. I wish I could just go talk to a doctor about all this shit.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

6. I also have struggled with my weight, even if to a smaller extent than what you may be facing. Instead of having a crash diet for a few weeks, try to find healthier foods that you can enjoy/afford and get used to eating them instead of junk food. Try to find some kind of cardio that maybe you can also enjoy, like playing basketball with some friends, or for me it's riding my bicycle. Build up some endurance and stay consistent, and you will end up feeling SOO much better from all those lovely endorphins!
    and about having the problem of excess skin, you can always stop somewhere in between where you are now and where you would be to have that happen. Find a nice balance

7. #7 BAGZ, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2009
    This..

You want to eat 6 smaller meals a day instead of 1 big one. Try to eat every 3 hours so your body doesn't go into starvation mode (you might not feel hungry but it starts to burn muscle). Eating often will also speed up your metabolism with time. To loose weight you want to eat 500 calories under your maintenance which is 15x your body weight, so at 280lbs you should be eating 3700 calories a day between 6 meals. Also you should try to eat healthy as you can, carbs from veggies and complex carbs like brown rice, potatoes, whole grain pasta...etc. Fats from raw almonds and cashews, extra virgin olive oil, natural peanut butter...etc. Protein from boneless skinless chicken breast, lean beef, steak, fish...etc. You'll also want to exercise regularly. If your really serious about loosing weight check out the forum at bodybuilding.com, there's great info on there about loosing weight, it's not only about bodybuilding. Anyway good luck with it, I hope you reach your goals.

8. If i were you, i'd be listening to every reply you've gotten in this thread. I'm cutting weight constantly...Well not constantly, but quite a bit.

What i suggest you do is something i like to call the "Gauntlet"

Basically, you do 5 pushups, then 10 pushups, then 15 pushups, then 20 pushups, and so on and so fourth until you get to 100 pushups. You have to do this in one sitting, and it is insanely hard. Just dont expect to do it all on the first try.

I like the gauntlet because it gives you something to work on and improve on..And you will see positive results pretty damn fast. Just keep working at it until you can reach one hundred. It may seem impossible, but if you work hard at it, you can do it. Just don't really over do it, or you'll feel it the next morning.

The absolute beauty of the gauntlet is you don't have to go to the gym to do it, you can do it anywhere.

Also remember to stretch before doing any excersises. Good luck bro.

If you take everyone's advice in this thread, you should make it no problem. You just gotta remember to stick with it and keep your eye on the prize. It's really easy to lose sight and if you do, you could end up setting yourself back for weeks with just 1-2 days of bad eating.

9. Don't lose weight too fast.

Try to work out as much as possible, building muscle helps with lessening loose skin after wards.

You can't do the same routine over and over again, you have to up it every week.

Start slow, it's hard to go from a not so active lifestyle into an active one, in some cases it's dangeous.

Change up your diet, get used to the healthy foods and then start a rougher exercise regimen.

Cut soda out of your diet completely, if you can't get used to diet soda.

These are some of the ways I lost weight. You said you have no money but if you're really trying to lose weigh I recommend a nutritionist. They can tell you what you need to eat to lose the weight, then once you've got all you need from them, find a way to get a gym membership. This will not happen fast and you're going to have to push yourself mentally and physically.

Good luck, man.

10. #10 no1birdman, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009
    Hi,the only diet that i have ever seen to work well is the Atkind diet or cutting out a lot of carbs and eating protein.I am 61 and fit as a fiddle, do not exercise at all only waking around and keeping axcive. On a few carbs diet the weight drops off and then you can exercise.If you are skint you can buy tins of ham, fish, packets of ham any fish, rabbit, all cheap and mostly no cooking, throw in a hanful only of mixed veg ie frozen and watch the weight drop.Drink water mixed with a cordial to taste and you are done.Eat till you are full and also all the eggs you can eat, chease and nuts, unsalted.You can make a lot of meals out of eggs.I dropped 3stone doing this and blood pressure normal, heart rate perfect, collesteral normal.A lot of peaple tell you a protein diet no good for you but most just go on hearsay and never tried it, it is like a caveman diet. I hope to live till at least a hundred on this diet.LOL

11. Here I'm shring With You Some OF The Best

1) Pay MUCH more attention to calories than anything else:=>
    It still baffles me to this day that people who want to lose weight spend an insane amount of time worrying about carbs and/or fat and/or protein. Or worrying about eating whole wheat bread instead of white bread, or brown rice instead of white rice, or doing any of the other millions of things that are great ideas for improving your overall health and the quality of your diet, but will usually do nothing whatsoever to help you actually lose weight.

2) Stop drinking calories. :=>
    If you currently drink regular soda, fruit juice, sports drinks, alcohol or any other form of liquid calories on anything close to a regular basis, and you cut it all out from of your diet, I can almost guarantee that it will create enough of a daily calorie reduction to cause you to start losing weight.

3)Have realistic expectations and set realistic goals:=>
    All doctors, nutritionists, trainers and experts pretty much unanimously agree that weight should be lost at the rate of about 1 or 2 pounds per week. If you understand this, and expect this, you will most likely go on to lose weight without any problem at all. However, if you are a normal person who watches TV, reads newspapers and magazines, goes into stores, or goes online, then there is a really good chance that you expect MUCH faster results than this.

4)Track everything:=>
    A lot of people think they are eating perfectly and that their diet isn't a problem. Then I recommend they start tracking their diet. And, guess what they realize? Their diet is the problem. They are eating way more calories than they thought (the big problem) and their diet as a whole is a lot less "perfect" then they thought it was. Do you know how they could have avoided this? By tracking their diet.

5)Stop looking and ignore EVERYTHING:=>
    Yup, simple. There's what works, and is free, and safe, and simple, and effective... and then there's everything else. Ignore it all. Every single bit of it. There is nothing else out there. There is no magic pill or supplement or product. There are no hidden secrets or special methods. There is no better, faster, easier way. What there is however is a ton of stuff, a ton of people, a ton of companies, a ton of diets, a ton of programs, a ton of articles, a ton of magazines, a ton of web sites, a ton of supplements, a ton of products, a ton of everything that just doesn't want you to know this.

12. I feel your pain with the job market brother. Do whatever you can to get one. I'm doing the same.

Do alot of what everybody else is saying.

1. 6 or 7 little meals throughout the day WILL increase your metabolism enough to start losing weight.
    -eat HEALTHY items though. NO FAST FOOD.

2. Start some sort of cardio. Shit, walk around your block a few times. When that becomes easy, run. My best advice would be to invest in a bike till you grab a job and can afford a gym.

I know you can do it man. You just need to find the willpower.

Stay strong, and good luck.

13. Patience is rule no 1. Work at your own pace and don't expect immediate results, don't work yourself too hard or you'll have a heart attack. If you want a surgical alternative, gastric bypass may be an option.

Otherwise, listen to the guys that posted above. Good luck my friend

14. ( Fittracker.com ) This site is free and Iv'e been on it for. I'm not advertising but I'd hate to see a good opportunity for someone to lose weight not get info. It includes everything you need. lol let me know how you like it.:smoking:

15. the only place in your body that fat is burned in in your muscle cells!
    the more muscle you have the more fat you burn....

there are lots of ways to do this. the real trick is finding one that works for you!

16. Thanks for the replies everyone. It's all much appreciated.

17. ok man, what you want to do is start running every day.if your really out of shape then start out small, like half a mile or so and work your way up goin a little furthur every day until your running several miles a day.
    like other people have said eat a good breakfast(preferably fruit or a healthy cereal like raisin bran).
    what you want to do is shrink your stomach, but in a healthy way.
    a person's stomach should naturally be about the same size as their fist, so when your hungry(make sure that your really hungry, i.e. stomach growling, hollow feeling in your stomach) eat only as much food as would fit into your fist(if your fist were hollow). some people like to put their food in a mug around the size that they want to shrink their stomach to.
    the hardest part about this particular "diet" is that you need to be sure that you are actually hungry before you eat, dont just eat because your mind is telling you that a hamburger sounds good right now. eat because your stomach is empty and your body is craving sustenance.

good luck man.

edit:sorry that was so long.

18. Haha, no worries. Thanks for the awesome suggestion. I did look at my fist as I read that, and then looked at my gut and went "seriously?!" out loud. But, it's science so whatever mang. :cool:

19. Run. Run. Run

I know from experience. Last year I was 200 pounds. I'm 5"8. This year I am 150 with some solid muscle. I lost most of the weight in cardio in the first 6 months, then did less cardio but a lot of weights the next 6.

Got luck. If you hate working out, too bad, you need to do it.

20. Not a huge fan but I want to look good more than I hate working out. Running is fun.