I want to live in the Olympic National Park for 6 months, can I legally do this?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by DoblazE, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I've been wondering on the issue with living in Washington's National Park "Olympic" and my plan was to move to Washington to pursue my creative director position and rejuvenate myself for 6 months in the Olympic National Forest before starting at the agency.

I would be building a self-sustainable small cabin and living natural for 180+ days and document the whole thing with my HDSLR camera. I'm just only worried about legal issues. I was maybe planning on at least trekking out 20+ miles out from a normal trail that others would backpack. So, I doubt I may not even be found but I can't guarantee it! Any advice?

ALSO: If this illegal and I happen to still proceed with it, by any chance any of you know what the charges may be and long of jail time? Thank you all for your time, appreciate it.

2. I have wondered this myself, have always dreamed of making my own little cabin and garden and living out in the Alaskan wilderness for a year.

I found this
    "A self-described homeless man has been fined $50 in U.S. District Court for overstaying the number of days allowed while camping in the Bridger-Teton National Forest."

Read more: Forest Service, judge fine homeless man

Forest Service, judge fine homeless man

50 dollar fine that guy got haha, thats not bad at all. It says in that article a lot of people are doing it, I doubt you would get caught if you went out far enough.

3. Hey guys, thanks for the awesome replies! I've considered Olympic is too small and close to civilization to actually maintain a backcountry homestead. You'd definitely come across backpackers every now and then and who knows maybe a ranger..

That's good to hear that fine for overstaying is only $50, but I would assume "destroying the land", etc. charges are ridiculous on top of that. So I've made my decision and me and two mates are venturing out to Alaska near Little Lake Clark (South East of Anchorage) up north a whitewater river (class 3) into a dense forest near a private lake.

I hope to pitch my documentary to Backcountry.com and Sportsmans for sponsorships in some equipment and Backpacker Magazine for some coverage before the trip and then after, PR will be all over this documentary while being submitted to multiple film festivals. Who knows, I'll have to see how far I can reach my connections in the media industry.

4. you can live any where you want, don't make a mess though

5. Fuck a cabin. Plan a shanty that can be dismantled when you leave or buy a yurt you can get in and out of the spot. Then go talk to the park ranger and get a permit. Building a cabin for a sixth month jaunt in the Olympic National Park sounds a little selfish.

6. Keep us posted on how it all goes.

7. We definitely will and we have decided again in Alaska for 365 days, we're not going to Olympic Park.

8. A Yurt is definitely the best choice. A cabin really does sound a little excessive, and i doubt you would be able to get any kind of permission to cut down trees. Plus those trees really would just be wasted on a 6 month cabin. A Yurt has many advantages any way warmth, portability, etc... Just google it. If you are really serious about this there are tons of homemade and versatile yurt designs all over the internet.

9. #10 DoblazE, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
    Again, I really appreciate your input but as stated twice above that we are locating off the grid in the Alaska where I can guarantee not one visitor, tons of land to be spared. We are actually staying for 365+ days and not to mention doesn't mean it'd be our only trip there... ;)

In one way, I like to think of it as this.. I live by myself and I pay for a 1600sqft condo, water/plumbing, heat and electricity, driving my 93 Cherokee XJ that doesn't pass emissions (only off-roading obv.), etc, etc. and that compared to me cutting some trees, cultivating my own crops/food and fertilizing our soil organically is doing the earth such a better favor than me repeating that sequence for over a year, you know? :)

I loved the idea of having of a Yurt, but with discussing with some mates in Fairfield that do tons of back-country whitewater/skiing/survival and they recommended a Yurt at first too, but we came into many conclusions of harsh weather of what would overall be better in the end for lasting in those winters which would be a cabin compared to a Yurt. I feel like it'll still be in not bad condition when I come back to it maybe every 4-5 years.

10. Do you have construction experiance?
    I dont think you could build a quality cabin that can compare to the ability of what a yurt can provide.

11. #12 DoblazE, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
    I've helped build a wooden tool shack for my mates backyard and looks great, I have experience with constructing-wise things. Good eye and logical sense for architecture and infrastructures. It's something I believe me and 2 other mates can successfully do. I've also been pretty good at making notches out of wood.

You think if we spent just as amount time building a cabin we could build a huge awesome stable Yurt? I'm more than interested into using Yurt and cutting less trees and utilizing overall less materials. Main thing I'm worried about is how good of insulation can you get in a Yurt?

12. Well it seems to me that a yurt can have mad insulation. I mean, the people in north eastern Asia have been using them for millennium.

13. Depending on how much into your own you want to go; Has anyone mentioned the foxfire series?
    Let me find the link, last I saw the first three books are available for free digitally.

Foxfire Books

Nice series. :smoke:

14. Courgers dont fuck around. Get a .45.

15. Very true! I should look around and see tips or awesome insulated yurts.

Thanks very much for the link, I'll definitely read this!

Oh, we'll be prepared.. :)

16. #17 buller, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
    bet fire crackers would work as good a 45 on a cougar, cats in the dark though, you don't see em, scratch that, youll see the eyes if your lucky