I want to cure everyones boredom (please read)

Discussion in 'General' started by Baker, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Hey everybody, before I get started I just wanted to throw up a quick disclaimer like thing here stating that, I ran this thread idea by RMJL to make sure it was fine and well I got the thumbs up so here we go.

Have you ever struggled to find new music that you actually enjoy?

Have you ever wanted to find a new movie to watch, only to go see a "BIG HIT" which well sucks?

Have you ever wanted to find a good new book to read, only to listen to horrible reviews and read crap?

How about videogames? We all know these reviews you read are biased pieces of crap anyways.

TV shows? everybody watches and enjoys different things, so how do you know you'll like the same shows as person XYZ?

I believe I have the solution to all of this and can fix these slight little problems.

I've been planning on launching a social-networking type site, think Facebook,Myspace etc...

Essentially the point of this site is going to be aimed at introducing people to new music/movies/television shows/videogames that they never have heard of, or thought about checking out in the past.
    The idea of this site is to get people to join and share their opinions on all these various different topics. The long term goal being, to well introduce people to various media outlets and activities that they would otherwise have no idea about. Its no BS, no looking at biased reviews by paid companies but to hear the true words of actual people without all the influenced bias that money brings.

I have the capital to start this project and with the thumbs up by me I can start my crew to creating this really expensive project. My only worry is in wondering if people would be interested in a website such as this. so thats where all of you come in, vote on the poll and let me know. I've been asking as many people as humanly possible and if there is enough positive feedback, you can expect me to have this site launched hopefully before the end of Jan2010.
    Thanks for your time everyone :)

2. sounds good to me, i love finding new bands and i wouldnt mind finding some kickass indie films either.

3. Oh my god Baker, if you did this I would be soooo damn happy.

I hate having to find new unknown bands or movies.

If you actually do this and need any help, ask me, I'll do anything you need; be a mod, help with graphics, whatever.

Seriously, this would be so great, and I really can see this getting big.

4. Sorry man, a facebook is pretty basic and I have one but I never spend much time on it.

I wouldn't sit on a social networking site and look up entertainment.

Maybe that's just me though.

Good luck with your endeavor man and I hope your ventures are profitable.

5. I like all the ideas except the social networking part. I don't really get how that plays in. Not to mention you can't really compete with facebook.

6. Here are my thoughts on this.

- User based reviews are widely available all over the net. Before I ever make a purchase I also search for user reviews.

- Who's to say that user reviews are any less biased?

- The social networking aspect is interesting, but I'm not certain how you'd really connect the community with the review aspect of the site. The focus is very broad and general and creating a network around that might be somewhat tricky. It's already getting harder and harder to launch social networking sites because they are popping up all over the place.

I'm also a bit curious why you think this will be a big expensive project. Nothing too expensive about it unless you don't a hosting service which shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks a year.

Sounds like a fun project though! I'd like to see it work but the idea seems to be in it's infancy and really needs more direction.

7. honestly, it could flip or flop depending on how you do things. make it easy to use, and invested a lot of time in creating a way to just listen to a playlist of certain genres. hell i hate trying to make playlists on youtube, if you made somthing easier to use and fill it with a bunch of content and advertise you might just make it. make sure it looks legit...

8. Yea actually, the social networking part doesn't really go well with it.

Have it more like a review site, except more community based where people can submit reviews. You can either submit short reviews like on other sites on a product page or submit a long actual review.

EDIT: And sort of like above, maybe have it integrate with other sites like Youtube and Facebook, so you can edit playlists on your site for Youtube and post stories on Facebook.

9. The way it plays in is being kept low key right now, it most certainly plays one of the biggest roles in the site, i promise you that. Im not looking to compete with facebook either, this site would almost go side by side with facebook ironically. If only I was able to get in touch with mr Zuckerburg (CEO of facebook) and get him to go halves with me on this :p

Its an expensive project due to many things, hosting and servers for a site which youre expecting to be huge can be a TON of money, try thousands a year not just a few hundred. Along with a team of web designers/programmers/coders since well I can't do this, I however have the idea(s) and money to fund the people doing it for me.

Yes user reviews do have a bias, as everyone has a bias. But it wont be from big name companies tossing money at people so theyll say ITS GREAT!!! The social networking aspect I have in mind will also turn these slightly biased user reviews into a benefit for everyone, I can assure you that.

10. I think what the OP is saying with the social network idea, it makes it different and unique. I'm sure there are other forum like sites which review but nothing like this has been done. I think it's a great idea if you can pull it off. Good luck with it :)

11. I host 8 sites (a few having a good deal of traffic) and hosting costs aren't that much. By the time you will need to upgrade your hosting the site should be producing at least some revenue to go towards your overhead.

The hiring of team members, could get expensive which I why I always opt to do all my development myself.

Anyway, I'm not really concerned about that. Though, for your own good, I'd toss the least amount of money at this as you can until it show some promise. When I first got into collaborative ideas for sites with people, review sites are almost always the first thing that pops into people's heads. Hell, I used to have a review site. It was okay but it was more work than it was worth.

I'd love to see this work for you.

12. Thats certainly one aspect of it, theres a lot more involved with it aswell though. I'd love to share all the details but unfortunately im still paranoid in someone stealing/doing my idea before me.

Thanks for all the feedback thus far everyone. So far Im liking what i see :D

13. Sounds great, have it some what like rotten tomato or gamespot, but for everything, music, movies, books, magazines, hell you could even incorporate things like electronics (Maybe once you get it off the ground). Hell that's a great idea man. Also, like Travis said, if you need any help with anything (I know i just joined here, but I have moderated a couple large forums for gaming clans) I am willing to help out.

Good luck man, I hope everything goes well. PM me if you need help.

14. sounds like a great idea, i'd definitely use it for movies or video games. music... eh not so much if it were CD reviews or anything. But bands that are coming up? I'd use it to check some out.

15. If I'm right, you propose to merge myspace/facebook, pandora, and last.fm into one site similar to all of those. But before you spend your capital, you should ask yourself what new you would bring that those sites don't already offer.

Personally, I think there will always be too much good/bad music/movies/etc out there no matter how well connected I am.

16. I just stole your idea and beat you to the copyright.

[​IMG]

17. Hey, man...out of curiosity, how many sites have you worked on/been involved with before?

18. Its a good idea, but the site I go to for reviews is metacritic, and they have never steered me wrong.

The site has the same categories you have, except with both peoples opinions and "expert" opinions, thus providing a more rounded site.

Sorry, but your idea has sort of been done, not hating or anything, but just keep working on it.

19. lmao :D

A handful, nothing like this though. Just basic affiliate marketing/cpa/ppc based things. So essentially usually just landing pages / blogs and the like.

Never heard of the site, going to check it out in a few, i honestly doubt its the same idea as mine though. Like I said im keeping more than a handful of concepts to the site private for now.

20. i'm pretty sure a bunch of stoners on here could create a sick website if you just get a lot of different ideas and concepts