I want strangers to make decisions for me.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by KeifWarriorOfDabland, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Hello person of the internet,
    I'm currently a sophomore in college and have been thinking about what I want my major to be. I have two classes to choose between and I can't tell if I should take the risk. On one hand I can do a bio class and get science done, or I can risk it and take psychology (which I have an interest in and would consider it for my major). Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Save what your interested in for last, so you don't become as bored with the process.

3. If this helps any, at least for me, biology is a breeze. Super easy. I guess if you got a crappy professor, it could be made hard. That could be said of any class, however.

Psychology should also be relatively easy. Psychology will likely mostly be writing essays in college. So if you're a good essay writer, I'd recommend that.

4. I'd recommend choosing your major based the level of opportunity it provides you rather than how interested you are in it. Of course it's good to have both, but in the end you will be happier with a successful career that enables you to pursue the things you do enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I was always taught to do what you love and the money will follow. If it doesn't work, at least you're doing what you love doing.

6. To an extent. Even if I made big bucks, if I hated the job I was at, every single time I had to go to my shift, my day would be ruined. Which would be about 5 - 6 days of the week usually. Not exactly the happiest camper. I say go for what makes you happy. And if you can't think of anything that does, just go for something that you could see yourself doing for the rest of your life, or at least 5 - 10 years if nothing else. You'll be spending 40+ hours a week wherever it is more than likely. Opportunity is important and something to consider, but don't let it rule you.

Some career paths to consider which do have opportunity and will continue to have opportunity more than likely include:
    -Electrical Engineer. We're only going to need more of these people as technology continues to grow. You can expect to make pretty big bucks too. You may need Calculus level math for this, but honestly, on a day-to-day career basis, you'll likely only use pre-calc and below level math on most (unless you're going into circuit designing for example)
    -IT Desktop Repair. This isn't a big bucks job, but I highly would recommend getting your A+ certification if you go this route. Your college will likely encourage you to if you haven't, but it's almost essential for many desktop repair jobs. Not a super well-paying job like the above, however it is certainly livable and decent.
    -Medical Field. Anything in the medical field will be booming. Anything, from doctor, to therapist, to the psychologist and science researcher, all will be paid pretty handsomely and will likely continue to be in demand.

If you really only care about opportunity, then consider looking at the fields nobody else wants to do. This is where opportunity presents itself the most.

7. I'm doing computer science and programming personally, because of that exact reason. It's not the kind of job that anyone can do, it requires above average math and problem solving skills which means the pay will probably be good. These skills are almost certainly going to be in demand in the future, and it's also a versatile skill set.

Basically I picked something that's challenging yet interesting.

8. Good choice. Programming will always be needed, and once you learn a few languages, you can learn just about any of them. I chose electrical engineering myself, it actually does require calculus level math (and a bachelor's requires up to Calculus III). And there will always be a need for electrical engineers.

9. Biology will give you an understanding of the physiology of anatomy and basically be a lab partner class where you may meet an interesting friend or two. The chemistry may be there or it may not.

Psychology will fuck with your mind, and you will permanently alter your perception on how you feel you can trust your fellow peoples, strangers and friendlies alike. I would say if you are naturally extroverted biology will be easier for you to handle. If you are an introvert, psychology will give you a headache and make you question everything inside your own head, which could be a good thing or a terrible idea.

10. Do you have a third option they are not telling you about?
    Look into each teacher choice you have and choose from that
    Teacher has a lot to do with your experience

11. Take psychology now. You are considering it for a major so definitely take that right away and you can decide whether its for you or not. Biology will be a requirement for a lot of majors anyway. So take what you have a lot of interest in.

Also, you want to challenge yourself. Don't just do whatever's easiest as that won't take you anywhere. Take the challenging stuff that you have interest in and you will be rewarded in the end. Definitely find some easy GPA booster classes too but don't do too many of those that don't challenge you enough.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1