I think my seedling is going to die! HAAAAAAAALP lol

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Dr.Toboggan, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Ok so basically this is my 3rd grow. The first two, I've never encountered this problem. Last week I germinated my seed via paper towel (as I always do), seed shell cracked, taproot was sprouting, and was planted in it's final pot. This was last thursday (4/23/20). That following Monday I noticed that not only was the seed it self sprouted it had also not completely gotten rid of its shell. Did some research and found that using a spray bottle, I could wet the seed. I also found that not enough humidity could contribute to this, so I took measures to increase the humidity and I also lightly sprayed the seed with water as well. If that didnt work I could also try using tweezers ti gently remove the shell. I didnt do THAT because I'm not 100% sure thats an okay thing to do. Today (4/29/20) the shell was still intact. So as I tried to carefully to examine it (with my fingers *facepalm*) the entire seedling popped right on out! Taproot and all!! I was terrified. Immediately, I made a bigger hole and buried the taproot. My questions are: did I break my plant? Is it fixable if not? Also, what do I do to get the shell completely off? as of right now my other plant (because im only doing two) still also has its shell. I didnt do anything besides light spraying it with water and increasing the humidity. seed1.jpg seed2.jpg

2. It looks like the membrane is still attached. Mist it with water to soften and gently remove with a toothpick.....I do it all the time without issue.
    This is usually caused by not planting it deep enough.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Give it 24 hours mate. It might come off itself. don't touch it Yet.

4. yeah, it will continue to grow as long as the tap root isnt damaged/cut. the membrane is keeping it shut. I usually take tweezers or even my finger nail and scrape off the membrane very lightly. when it pulls off the seedling leaves will open up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thats what Im thinking too. Apparently growing out whatever medium youre using to grow,is supposed to help with the seed removal?

6. Im so scared to try that :( I know seedlings are super sensitive and I'm nervous about messing it up further

7. spray them down real good with water and just be delicate. Try to split the membrane at the tip of the leaves and that should be enough.

8. seed3.jpg seed4.jpg ok so update!! i removed the shell CAREFULLY and do I just leave alone now?

9. It looks like there may still be a small piece (the brown) at the edge of the cotyledons holding them together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Im glad you mentioned that because Idk what that is?