I think its harvest time!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by papaduck, May 27, 2012.

1. My first grow. :hello:

Just took some 12mp shots and cut off a sugar leaf (from the top cola and bottom), and looked at it and I see amber trichomes!:D

She look like she's ready? Last water was two days ago (just rainwater with a little molasses).

Anything I should do before I harvest? Any input is appreciated!

(a little background)
    Primarily indoor grow (took outside a few times a week for sun and fresh air)
    Vegged two weeks, tomorrow will be exactly 7 weeks from when I started 12/12.
    Bagseed in MG soil.
    2 - 42W yellow CFL
    3 - 23W CFL
    2 - 27W CFL (simulates daylight)
    2 - 40W florescent tubes (standing upright in the corner of my box)

Here's a few pictures... And thanks in advance for any input!

SAM_2916.jpg

SAM_2924.jpg

SAM_2927.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

2. Hmm, trichomes do look pretty good, but the bud itself seems a little premature to me. I know it's hard, but I would keep it going another week. You should be seeing more browning of the pistils and they will begin to recede into the bud.

I'm no expert though, so hopefully more people will provide their opinions.

3. [quote name='"Budderball"']Hmm, trichomes do look pretty good, but the bud itself seems a little premature to me. I know it's hard, but I would keep it going another week. You should be seeing more browning of the pistils and they will begin to recede into the bud.

I'm no expert though, so hopefully more people will provide their opinions.[/quote]

I second this. But I'm also not highly experienced... Yet lol.

4. Hey man, im in the same boat as you, trying to judge my first harvest.

Recently, I was asking about where on the plant to check trichomes, and a couple of experienced growers pm'ed me saying to check the buds/calyxs directly and not the sugar leaves as they tend to go amber earlier than the buds themselves.

Imo that plant doesnt look ready, lots of erect white pistils and the buds/calyxs dont look swollen yet. 7 weeks from 12/12 is also extremely short, especially under cfls which tend to prolong flower by a week or two from what ive read. I would leave those plants another week, possibly two.....many growers here will say that when you figure its ready, give it another week. Ive tried to employ that on my grow, and im chopping at 9 weeks.

Im sure some more experienced folks will weigh in as well, good luck with the harvest!

5. Oh, and jf youve been using chem ferts, id give em a good flushing now to improve taste upon harvest :)

6. You need to check trichs on the nugs. Remember, trichs on leaves will form before you even start producing buds. So the trichs on the leaves will mature faster. And your lower nugs do look premature.

7. Awesome info guys, thank you so very much!

I put her back in her room, and I'll give her another week and see what happens. Should I just plain water this week (rainwater), or ok to give her another shot of molasses?

I haven't used any chemical nutrients in a week.

8. Looking good, and good choice to let it go. At least another 7-10 days or until some pf the hairs start retracting.

9. based soley on the trich pic I personally would chop her down. But again like the other poster (fluffyKush) said check the status of the other nugs first if all the trichs look like that you are safe to harvest.

10. If the trichs on the nugs are amber take just those nugs and let the other nugs produce them longer

11. It's pretty difficult to use that Radio Shack microscope on the plant itself. I cut a sugar leaf from the top and from the bottom, so I can put it down on the desk to hold it steady. Both sugar leaves looked the same as far as the amount of amber in the trichomes.

What risk is there in letting it mature a bit more this week?
    Will I loose any potency, or anything?

12. over time it will break down and there is the pot. for potency loss. In my exp though I have only had it change the type of high. from awake high to more of a drowsey lay around type of high. But I never let it go for more than a week past scheduled harvest.

13. Appreciate all the advice guys, very helpful!
    Another question, if I may...

Say I decide to harvest Sunday June3, should I water really good the night before and harvest "wet"? or let the soil dry out really good before harvesting?

I have read that before you harvest, allow the last 24 hours to be dark in the room. Is this recommended? Does it help anything?

Thanks for the reply's everyone. +rep

14. my understanding is the 24-48 hours of darkness allows for trichome growth/maturity because the trichomes actually grow during the dark portion of the 12/12...... if I am incorrrect someone please correct me =)

15. [quote name='"cobrakhan5"']my understanding is the 24-48 hours of darkness allows for trichome growth/maturity because the trichomes actually grow during the dark portion of the 12/12...... if I am incorrrect someone please correct me =)[/quote]

youre halfway right, the buds also tend to get fatter and bigger too. OP you can chop now but I would wait another 2 weeks brother

16. Is it harvest time just yet?

17. The Mookie Monster wants soem Mookie!!!!!

18. Mmmmmm, mookie! Gnom gnom gnom........

19. Yeah, I chopped her yesterday evening. Cut most the buds off her, most of the cola intact, and she's hanging in the closet drying at the moment. Still have the fan on, but not "on" the buds directly. Mostly just to circulate air around.
    I pulled off all the fan leaves, but left all the "sugar" leaves, for now. Gonna wait 3 days then do a "final" trim.
    I don't know if I should break up all of the top cola in pieces (for drying purposes). I don't really want to, just because it looks like a big 8" bud, but then again, I don't want it to be an area where mold can get to.

She weighed in (wet mind you) at 72 grams. I'm guessing i'll get half that when she drys?
    ...not sure, I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

20. From what ive read and experienced, dry weight is generally around 25% of wet weight once all the water, bud leaves and stems are removed. 50% sounds a little high.