i think im going to give up =(

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Littletoast, Jul 14, 2012.

1. if you would please take the time to read this i would appreciate it

ok let me start off by saying ive been gardening with my dad since i was 15. we grow tomatoes,peppers, cucumbers, and different flowers in our back yard without a problem. and this has amazed me for years because our soil is so odd. its almost grey in color, compact when dry, and the only thing we have EVER done to it is till it up and add perlite for drainage. we are not master gardeners, we just like fresh veggies..so dont get the assumption that i know what im doing.

to get to the point.. i have an indoor grow setup that is 2 by 2 by 4.5 roughly. it WILL contain 5 plants in 11 cups of soil each( thats what the pots say on it). right now i have only 2 that sprouted and they are under the 400 watt hps in a vented hood i made myself. a 6 inch duct fan pulls air out and up through the roof. i am running only 1 computer fan that pulls air from floor level and blows it into the box via 4 inch duct. and i have a passive intake on the other side that doesnt have a fan. (passive right?).

so heres the problem. i can only shut the door with the lights off. when they are on i have to leave the door open. and no matter what, i must run ac CONSTANTLY. all of this is on 1 breaker and when the ac kicks on to cool the room, the light dims a bit. it dims but then SEEMS to return to normal brightness. idk for sure if it does or not. dont have a tester. so besides high temps and a suffering power bill, i have one other problem.....
    my soil is SHITTTTTTTTT. i mean literally. when i started out i bought soil that i shouldnt have. its way overdone with compost and such. its a miracle grow 3 month feed, garden soil with compost, and potting soil with compost mixed together in a forgotten ratio. IT is somewhere around 10 parts miracle grow-5 parts garden soil-5 parts potting soil. the other pots full of soil which do not contain plants look black. like rotting compost would i guess.. it stays damp and its black. best i can describei it.
    with all this being said, im a bit discouraged and kinda wanting to give up. my friend quit becuase his first plant took 4 months to grow. i cant even get one through veg without a massive spike in electricty use, blowing up my ac, and/or killing the damn innocent seedlings.
    i was thinking i could use the soil from the garden anyways but idk. it looks odd like i said but everything does so good in it. if i could do that, that would fix my soil problem as i cant buy anything for 2 weeks. that also means a ph tester. i cant get one until next 2 weeks pay. as for the heat im guessing im screwed.
    what would you guys do?
    what you you do to convince your PARENTS that smoke pot with you that they should grow in their house? that would mean more room for a 400 watt hps which would mean less heat build up since its a bigger growroom?

2. Tell your rents, once the harvest is done you will give them a couple o's.

3. they know this! theyd rather pay for good stuff than smoke my dirt weed they say:mad:
    just wait til im rolling in reefer a few months down the road and we will see who has dirt weed :p

although they are right...if i dont get my temps and humidity under control it will be dirt.
    oh i forgot to mention. humidity fluctuates greatly depending on if ac is on/off, lights are on/off and if door is opened or closed

4. Get a dehumidifier. The best place to find these I've noticed is yard sells. There was a big boom like ten years ago with these. People use to put them all over there house. For the heat problem, go to best buy and tell them you need a bigger watt fan.

5. it wouldnt matter how big my fans are to a point...no matter how much air i blow its the temperature of the air im bringing in that needs to be cooler right? i mean a bigger fan on the vented hood might work better but i think its the radiant heat thatss coming through the glass thats affecting temps.

6. Whats the temp getting to in the room when the ac is off and just the light is on and the door closed?

Also is the air getting to dry because of the heat or is it to moist?

7. #7 jollyrancher1, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
    Your intake fan is not big enough.

Your soil is shit.

If you want to grow in soil, get the correct stuff, and add your fertilizer.

Miracle grow is not formulated for MJ.

Vent the door.

The lights dim when the A/C goes on because of the strain the unit puts on the system turning on the compressor.

If I was your parent I would tell ya that if you want to grow, get your own place.

8. thank you for the brilliant conclusion that my light dims cuz my ac sucks power. i knew this.. and as for the getting my own place idea you obviously dont know how hard it is to get out on your own now adays. no shit my soil is shit. i said that. and venting the door wouldnt be an option due to the fact it must look just as it was..a normal closet with no holes in the door for a fan or vents.

9. i dont know what the temps are when light is on ac is off and door is closed because I KNOW for a fact that it would easily climb over 100. i dont want to find out how high it gets. as for humidy it varies. going as low as 16 to as high as 60.

10. you don't know what your doing and your dumping on someone who helped....nice

11. Can't tell if they want help or just bitch about their life.

12. well there are more subtle ways of letting people know they need better stuff, people that know there stuff is shit and to hear it from somebody else on a place they come to for help is just more downing on somebody.

Well your gonna want a bigger fan for starters, six inches is a bit small for how hot its supposedly getting, also it seems weird to get that hot with a 400, do you have a box fan you can leave blowing in there and the door open for some of the time, im guessing this is your closet so with your room door closed and ac off and box fan or some kind of big fan going it should solve some issues while not running the ac all the time.

13. I can't tell from your post -- are you currently attempting to grow in your parents' house without their consent? Or you have their consent but they don't want to smoke any of your harvest? Or what?

If you are attempting to grow in your parents' house without their consent then it's easy -- yes you should give up, and not just because you are failing but also because growing behind your parents' back in their own house is the absolutely wrong thing to do. You could get them in serious trouble (potentially including losing their house), it's really bad karma, the compromises you need to make could result in you burning the place down, you are effectively stealing from them (who pays that electric bill?), and it's generally disrespectful to the people putting a roof over your head and food in your belly. And besides, you almost certainly will get caught.

14. pretty sure his parents are allowing him, he just wants them to join in/approve of the grow so he can grow in a bigger space lol

15. yall are half right... im growing on their property with their concent but i want to grow indoors with their concent. im currently growing a camper within a closet and i must run ac 24/7. if i grow next door it wont matter cuz they run theirs 247 so it wont be any more on the bill that way. as for who pays the bill....that would be me sir. completely me. i pay electric bill and internet since im the only one who uses it lol.

and i wasnt coming down on him for helping me. he was being a tad bit short and rude with that post if u ask me and i didnt like it. i know my setup sucks at the moment. thats the problem i am trying to fix. telling me what my problems are wont help me find the fix. so.. i gotta stick with a 6 inch fan. its all i have and the ducting system has been ran. with that being said i guess ill be looking for a very high cfm 6 inch fan?

what about this soil from my garden? everythings growing good in it this year and always has and i need some dirt lol. think it would hurt to see how a new plant does in that soil? since i cant buy anything for a while..

16. you post didnt do much help..you were just being rude in my opinion.

17. no its in a closet in a camper. i must ac the camper at all times and keep door open when light is on. which meant i had to black out my windows. a bigger fan is what i will start with. ill let u know if it helps.

18. You will never know whether the soil is good or not until you use it, if you don't have any money and your other plants can grow in it, use it, cannabis is a pretty strong plant.

you can get a couple clip on fans for around ten bucks a pop with the 1-3 speeds which are just fine.

19. :confused_2::confused_2::confused_2::confused_2:

20. how old are your plants. is all you have cooling is an inline duct fan (for the light) and a pc fan. what hours are your lights on. how hot is it where you are<--camper out in sun. any other holes in the closet door. is the fan cooling the light pulling from inside or outside of the closet. what temps does your camper reach when the light isnt on. what temps are your camper while the light is on with the door shut. with the door open. both while the ac is running. do you have spare ducting. is the ac capable of keeping the camper cool when the light is off.

those are the questions that need to be answered in order for me to help you. the temp inside the closet doesnt matter. what matters is the temp of the air being pulled in and how much of it. and your soil doesnt matter either. you can grow pot in a bucket full of legos if you want to. sorry if you have already answered them. but having them all right here right now means i dont have to hunt around. be specific if you can. 'ball park' or 'it fells like' figures are better than nothing.