I screwed up, any advice welcome

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by lilacat, Mar 31, 2016.

1. I just realized that I screwed up on my timing and sprouted my seeds too early. I think I have a way to work around my mistakes, but any advice from more experienced growers would be very welcome.

Background: setting is the north Olympic peninsula of WA state and I have a small (10' x 10' x 20') greenhouse that gets good sun from morning through mid-afternoon. I just got my fem auto white widow seeds from Amsterdam and started 10 right away. They all popped nicely and I put them in rockwool cubes in an unused bathtub under a low hanging shoplight to sprout. I then looked up the last frost date for my area. It's May first, and today is only the end of March!!

There is no way that my small heater-fan will keep the greenhouse warm enough at night. The sprouts are all about an inch and a half tall and showing taproot on the bottom of the rockwool cubes already. The shoplight is not nearly enough for the plants to continue with.

My solution for this is to have migratory pot plants. I put the rockwool cubes in 4" peat-pots in a coco coir and pearlite mix and I plan to have them spend days in the greenhouse and nights in the bathtub. Thank goodness coco is lighter than dirt.

I went with autoflower seeds this year because I had a problem with budrot when it got humid in the fall in previous years. I was hoping not to have that trouble with an earlier maturing crop this year. I hope my screwup doesn't turn out to be a total disaster and would really appreciate any advice you folks can give me.

2. You could bring them inside near a window with the shoplight, I'm assuming t8. Heat mats are your friend in greenhouses, keep them warm at least

Sent from my hand using A phone.

3. Thanks, that would be a good idea except my 3 cats (ranging from 12 to 20 lbs) have staked their claim to all sunlight in windowsills and have been known to forcibly remove any objects in their way. Can't risk that with my precious seedlings. Heating mats to go along with the little heater in the greenhouse when things warm up a bit sounds like a great idea. I'm guessing that with the autos, keeping them warm at night should help encourage more and faster growth during their limited time. Again, anyone with experience with autos, I would love your tips.

4. Green house will probably keep warm enough to prevent freezing. Strong light is needed for autos to do their best.

Be well...

5. Take pots inside at night if possible to keep warm, extra couple hours of additional light indoors will do them good also.

Be well...